Florio says Marrone will be fired after this season

I am not too sure about that. I think a lot of new owners would want to clean house as soon as they can.

The only potential check on that is the fact that a lot of the current bills' FO are trustees who are picking the new owner. Maybe the new owner will feel beholden to the current regime.

What! Dropping a billion+ plus you are beholden to no one. very wealthy Successful people do not buy professional sports franchises with any concern about what a trustees thoughts are before after closing the deal. You meet the terms, and the team is yours.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scenario, we miss the playoffs, Morrone stays, Hackett gets canned and Chan is the new OC. Maybe then Spiller gets some yards. Could happen.......

Sorry but this organization is not going to bring Chan back as OC! Where does that keep coming from everybody wanted his butt canned like they do Marrone now and now we want him as OC. Redick, whats next OJ as running backs coach?

Ah yes, the mantra of the pessimist. If they suck, you can claim you're a visionary, if not you're happy. You win both ways.

We get it, you hate the moves this team is making.

Meanwhile, awesome teams like the 49ers have arguably a worse situation at backup QB than the Bills, and franchise Eli looks like absolute **** this preseason, worse than Manuel. Not everybody can make all the right moves, not everybody knows all the right moves. They're not perfect, but I think the Bills have made some very good moves and are hardly a disaster in the making.

This is not about having it both ways. It's about gauging the temperature of the roster as it stands today and making an honest (but frank) assessment.

Eli has won 2 Super Bowls. His ability to perform and win games is without dispute. For you to even analyze him in the same fashion one would the Bills' stable of QBs is asinine at best. EJ could get to Eli's level, who knows, but it will likely take some time. Surrounding him in the QB room with castoffs like Tuel and Thad Lewis is amateur no matter how you slice and dice it. Sprinkle in the fact that EJ was injured 3 times last season, one has to wonder how important the quarterback position really is in the eyes of this "esteemed" franchise.

Just curious...has this turned into an "EJ can't get it done" thread yet?

Just curious... do you have anything insightful to add to the discussion? Didn't think so.

Eli has won 2 Super Bowls. His ability to perform and win games is without dispute. For you to even analyze him in the same fashion one would the Bills' stable of QBs is asinine at best. EJ could get to Eli's level, who knows, but it will likely take some time. Surrounding him in the QB room with castoffs like Tuel and Thad Lewis is amateur no matter how you slice and dice it. Sprinkle in the fact that EJ was injured 3 times last season, one has to wonder how important the quarterback position really is in the eyes of this "esteemed" franchise.

Perhaps, if that's what I was actually doing.

The point I was trying to make is that your arguments apply no matter who the QB is, whether he is a still-raw second-year QB, an exciting 3rd-year talent on a playoff caliber team, or a 2-time Super Bowl-winning QB.

Eli isn't looking crappy because he's now suddenly terrible. Kaepernick looks as exciting as ever, but he's a huge risk at QB the way he plays. Are the Giants and 49ers now amateurs, despite their very recent success in the league, because they have Curtis Painter and Ryan Nassib, or Blaine Gabbert and Josh Johnson, as their backup plans? You'd have a pretty strong argument that both of those teams are in at least as bad a situation as the Bills, if not worse.

But yeah, those two are proven talents...despite how crappy Eli has looked and how pedestrian the 49ers offense has looked so far. So they've got that going for them.

Again, not everybody knows or executes all the right moves. So far, I'd say Whaley has done a pretty good job, all things considered, and he's got this team a long way from a complete disaster.

Head coaches rise and fall with their coordinators. Gailey failed to bring in D coordinators that could do the job..........Marrone....looks to me like he went and got not one but two good D coordinators. Marrone's problem is his O coordinator. I don't think Hackett is ready for the big time.....now, I have to admit, tayloring and offense to keep EJ from imploding is a tough task....but, they picked him.......they have to live with it. Without success this year....the whole bunch would be candidates to go under new ownership. I think Schwartz IS here partially because he would have a leg up to be the new HC.......and I might be OK with that idea. Now, about Whaley.....IMHO...he will stay....he was sought after by other owners to be a GM as recently as a year ago.But he stayed based on promises made and then delivered upon.....and although he hasn't show the track record here yet......I might be inclinded to keep him were I the new owner. I wonder if Marrone is really Whaleys guy, or did Brandon do it? Anyhow, I think a new President is very likely, not that I am saying that Brandon is all bad. Brandon lands on his feet elsewhere I am thinking.

Irrespective of the impact of an ownership change, this team has 4-12 written all over it. Marrone will be fired, short of an improbable Jim Harbaugh type turnaround that takes the team deep into the playoffs. A dismal season (yet again), a Top 10 pick surrendered to Cleveland, new ownership group -- hard to see Marrone having a future here, as unfair as it may be.

So he should be saying "if the Bills suck, as I expect they will" Marrone will be fired. That wasn't his point though, And I see you are keeping your expectations as low as always.

What! Dropping a billion+ plus you are beholden to no one. very wealthy Successful people do not buy professional sports franchises with any concern about what a trustees thoughts are before after closing the deal. You meet the terms, and the team is yours.

I think you are right; was just throwing out the thought as a possibility.

I will tell you that if I dropped a billion on the team, the entire FO and coaching staff would be gone as soon as feasible.

I respectfully disagree. I think he's an excellent coach.

Excellent coach now? Missed the playoffs three straight years. If he goes four in a row is he still an "excellent" head coach? This guy coaches in NYC where it is easy to recruit players and has a supportive owner not shy about spending money.

Bills rookie coach has one losing season and is a bum, though. Sheesh.

Edited by The Dean

I think if Marrone wins he is safe

This is a fair comment .

I hope you're wrong, but the vibe I'm getting from this preseason isn't good - the offensive players seem to lack confidence and the offensive coaches (including Marrone) seem dyspeptic and unhappy. The players don't seem happy either - I mean, Manuel basically said today that he has no idea what the coaches are thinking with regard to Woods. Fred Jackson doesn't seem particularly cheery either.

That said, maybe good teams are supposed to be unhappy. At least they got Watkins, who I think was a great selection and worth the price. He'll be a difference maker.

This is an interesting point Dave . I think the Bills coaching is pushing very very hard this preseason. Maybe its showing ?

But its not easy to get into the playoffs for Buffalo . I suspect working harder longer faster might help.

But all the shuffling must be hard to deal with as a player No one feels secure . just a thought

Doug is probably doing a good job (hard to gauge what we can't see behind the scenes) but unfortunately for him he hitched his wagon to a rookie QB and a rookie offensive coordinator. Rookie mistake by a rookie head coach

Agreed on the Hackett decision. He made a good call with Pettine, and then with Schwartz. Bad move on Hackett, and could cost him the job if EJ does not progress. He could have wooed Gary Kubiak, who is an excellent offensive mind, not a head coach.

We'll see.

This team has disaster written all over it. As much as I love Sammy Watkins a a player, I think they got schooled by the Browns in this trade, surrendering next year's first rounder to move up a mere 5 spots. That's the type of trade you make under 2 scenarios: (1) Acquiring a franchise QB (Think Giants and Eli) and (2) When your team is 1 player away (think Atlanta and Julio Jones). The Bills were in neither situation. Classic sign of a desperate front office unsure of its job security past this season. EJ is still developing as a QB and will likely make a number of mistakes along the way. The backup situation is disastrous. While Jacksonville does it right, having a veteran like Chad Henne in the room to support its young QB, this front office fills the roster with castoffs like Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis. On one hand, it's humorous. On the other hand, it's flat out sad.

The defense will keep this team in games, but this roster is not a playoff roster and I HOPE I'M DEAD WRONG!!!!

Lost me at Eli Manning .

I was not a fan of the trade up . But i firmly believe now Sammy Watkins is deserving of being picked first. regardless of team need . it just makes sense to me now. Since he may improve the Offense as a whole in time.

Next year Bills will draft another QB probably ( yes) to seriously compete. How they find and then secure that pick i dont know. I dont think Whaley and Marrone had much choice but to draft a QB. Hey they took a shot .

If marrone cant get the offense rolling , major changes should be made .

I'll remain positive for one year more and no questions asked. ( i say that now during preseason lol ) . The end of the season we should reconvene though.

I'll remain positive for one year more and no questions asked. ( i say that now during preseason lol ) . The end of the season we should reconvene though.

Sorry, but you may have to be ready to reconvene after every practice.

I think Marrone's job security is at least somewhat tied to Brandon, and the role, if any, Brandon has with new ownership. Brandon was a big reason that Marrone was hired, and I really cannot see Brandon being particularly interested in firing Marrone after two years (assuming the Bills do not make the playoffs or have a winning record).

If Brandon does not stay with the Bills and the Bills are worse than 8-8, then I think Marrone will be fired after next season.

I'd like to see Marrone get another 2-3 years either way for continuity's sake if nothing else, but I don't expect the Bills to do much this year, and I can easily see a new owner cutting bait and starting over with his own rebuilding plan. It's not what I want to see, but I'll be fairly surprised if Marrone sees a third year as Bills HC.