My Untrained Eye -- thoughts on BUF/PIT

eball

I was out last night so did not watch the game live, and I followed no Twitter reports or otherwise...only saw the text from the Bills that nearly stopped my heart (Watkins injury) and the halftime/final scores.

Got up this morning and watched the "condensed" game on Preseason Live. Here are my initial thoughts:

Offense

-- 1st team offense not scoring TDs is certainly a concern, but they've been moving the ball effectively. Has EJ had a 3-and-out this preseason?

-- I thought Fred looked slow at Carolina...not so last night. The guy can definitely still play at a high level.

-- Despite not getting the team into the end zone I felt overall EJ had good control and was seeing things develop. I can see his progression and improvement over last season and I'm anxious to see a "real" game. There were a few errant throws but also several darts. 3rd downs much better.

-- Robert Woods makes things happen. There is no way Chris Hogan should be getting playing time in his stead.

-- It seemed like all of the Bills' RBs were able to churn out yardage. The running game really should be a huge strength of this team.

-- If EJ goes down in a game, the Bills are in big trouble. I don't trust either of the backups; they were "turrible."

Defense

-- Long TD to Brown was obviously a blunder; two DBs bumping each other off and then Searcy taking a bad angle. Ugly. Aaron Williams wasn't in there, I know...

-- Still waiting for Gilmore to flash signs of being a shut-down corner. I don't get it. Shades of Justin Rogers on that TD.

-- Thrilled with run D thus far; there's certainly a different attitude out there.

-- Bye bye Alan Branch. Already likely on Marrone's poop list because of non-participation all offseason, and now guys like Charles and Cohen are playing lights out. Cut this guy.

-- Cohen. Charles. Depth.

-- After the initial bad play I thought Corey Graham looked solid.

-- Robey! Just makes plays.

Special Teams

-- Where are the Crossman haters? These units have been solid.

-- Hopkins is a goner. You only had one job, Dustin.

-- Anyone else surprised to see CJ return the opening kickoff? Nice one, too.

-- TSW's favorite whipping boy TJ Graham did a decent job on punt returns and didn't even drop a pass.

That's all I got for now...hopefully we hear good things about Watkins and this won't be a lingering issue. Whenever I hear "rib injury" I have nightmarish flashbacks to Rob Johnson falling on the point of the football at Indy and separating his rib cartilage.

Have a great Sunday. Three weeks until the real thing.

Edited by eball

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpenter kicking the ball out of the end zone on most kicks likely means Hopkins is gone.

Kujo being a hazzard to our QBs health means Pears will keep his job.

Tuel and Lewis should be competing for the #3 QB job, not the #2

TJ Graham looked good returning punts and that could save his job and get Easley cut

Woods > Hogan and it's not even close.

Fair assessment. Last night you got to see what a great QB looks like and we'll have to be patient and hope EJ can approach Big Ben's level of play. I still have little faith in Hackett. But let's see what happens when the starting Oline is finally together. With the talent we have getting a yard when we need it shouldn't be such a lift.

Edited by Green Lightning

Fair assessment. Last night you got to see what a great QB looks like and we'll have to be patient and hope EJ can approach Big Ben's level of play. I still have little faith in Hackett. But let's see what happens when the starting Oline is finally together. With the talent we have getting a yard when we need it shouldn't be such a lift.

That will be a key.

I was out last night so did not watch the game live, and I followed no Twitter reports or otherwise...only saw the text from the Bills that nearly stopped my heart (Watkins injury) and the halftime/final scores.

Got up this morning and watched the "condensed" game on Preseason Live. Here are my initial thoughts:

Offense

-- 1st team offense not scoring TDs is certainly a concern, but they've been moving the ball effectively. Has EJ had a 3-and-out this preseason?

-- I thought Fred looked slow at Carolina...not so last night. The guy can definitely still play at a high level.

-- Despite not getting the team into the end zone I felt overall EJ had good control and was seeing things develop. I can see his progression and improvement over last season and I'm anxious to see a "real" game. There were a few errant throws but also several darts. 3rd downs much better.

-- Robert Woods makes things happen. There is no way Chris Hogan should be getting playing time in his stead.

-- It seemed like all of the Bills' RBs were able to churn out yardage. The running game really should be a huge strength of this team.

-- If EJ goes down in a game, the Bills are in big trouble. I don't trust either of the backups; they were "turrible."

Defense

-- Long TD to Brown was obviously a blunder; two DBs bumping each other off and then Searcy taking a bad angle. Ugly. Aaron Williams wasn't in there, I know...

-- Still waiting for Gilmore to flash signs of being a shut-down corner. I don't get it. Shades of Justin Rogers on that TD.

-- Thrilled with run D thus far; there's certainly a different attitude out there.

-- Bye bye Alan Branch. Already likely on Marrone's poop list because of non-participation all offseason, and now guys like Charles and Cohen are playing lights out. Cut this guy.

Special Teams

-- TSW's favorite whipping boy TJ Graham did a decent job on punt returns and didn't even drop a pass.

That's all I got for now...hopefully we hear good things about Watkins and this won't be a lingering issue. Whenever I hear "rib injury" I have nightmarish flashbacks to Rob Johnson falling on the point of the football at Indy and separating his rib cartilage.

Eball that was a well thought out assessment in which I would have to agree with pretty much all of it. It's encouraging to see the offense move the ball almost all the time, hopefully we will see some converted into TDs in the reg. season.

Watching the replay now...

Duke Williams was responsible for that long TD, he was completely frozen by Big Ben and the play came right at him. Had he reacted better he should have undercut the route for an interception.

The O line sucks, can't setup a screen worth a damn...

Holy hell Ryan Shazier! This year's DROY most likely. That was a bad throw by EJ. He needed to see Chandler was covered underneath and lead Chandler.

Never mind Polumalu had Chandler covered up top, bad decision to throw it there.

Watching it now too. I'm trying hard to see reasons for the optimism so many posters possess about Manual. I really am. Any chance at more than 7 wins this season is completely dependent on this.

I simply don't see anything -and haven't since he donned the uni. Yet another batted pass on a 3rd down and continues to telegraph every single throw, making defenses jump the route or receiver for no additional gain or a pass defensed. This is NOT the level of football to LEARN how to play and grow a pair. I'll give him this, though, he's the 'best' we got...

5-11.

Is that allowed?

Not on this board.

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Very good post E.