Available QBs ... Slim pickings ?

Since there is a consensus on TBD that our QB situation is, well, downright pathetic, I thought it would be safe to list the FA QBs left at this late in the game (it's scary): David Garrard, Jim Kitna, Seneca Wallace, Kevin Kolb, Nick Stephens, Josh Freeman.

Looks like this was one failure by Whaley and company.

I would recommend playing Dixon next preseason game. Can't be worse than Lewis and Tuel.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One guy I would love to see the Bills make a move for next offseason, if and when EJ crashes and burns this season, is Brock Osweiler, Peyton's backup in Denver. Guy is big with a strong arm and a bit of surprising athleticism for a guy that's 6'8. This armchair QB thinks he'll be a starter in this league sooner rather than later. I obviously don't know if Denver would want to deal him, but they did grab Dysert last year, too. Just a little food for thought, I suppose.

Its pretty obvious that a good solid starting QB would not be unsigned at this point of the season. The best route would be to trade for a quarterback that becomes a free agent next season.

I for one like Ryan Mallett for a number of reasons

Strong and accurate arm and he is a leader in the huddle.

He also can read a defense.....I miss that in Buffalo

-

SInce Mallett never started an NFL game I'd love to know where you got that scouting report.

In my 45 years as a Bills fan, this is the worst backups I have ever seen.

You have a short memory then. Let me give you a short list: Billy Joe Hobert, Joe Dufek, Bruce Matheson, Dan Manucci, WillieTotten, Brian Brohm, Vince Ferragamo, Gary Marangi...any one of these make Tuel and Lewis look like Brady and Manning.

1 year ago the logic on this board was the guy is schooled by Bilichick and studied behind Tom Brady who is rarely hurt.

Now that he is available and hasn't played much then the guy MUST suck, hows that for logic ? :w00t:

That logic is actually the biggest reason to keep away. Cassal looked GREAT under Belicheat. And if he like Mallet so much, why spend a 2nd round pick on Garoppolo? Why would he even be available if he has so much potential? If Beilcheat was willing to deal him to the Bills, there's your giant warning right there.

In my 45 years as a Bills fan, this is the worst backups I have ever seen.

Lucky for you that 45 years doesn't go back to 1968 and the year of the "disaster quarterback." We lost no less than 4, countem FOUR! starting QBs. When your QB is Ed Rutkowski, Jeff Tuel don't look half bad. Well, maybe half bad.

GO BILLS!!!

What people are forgetting is the impact Tuel/Thad have on keeping 2 or 3 QBs and the other roster considerations that are coming. If they are incapable of holding down the back up role, then what? Do we keep them for a 3rd QB if we attain one via FA or waivers? DO we have this constant battle for 2nd string go on all season long? We have to cut ties with one it would seem, if not both. This is becoming a mess, and I don't think it's one of those contriving a story where there is none. It really is not pretty and needs to be done with 3 weeks ago. One of our trusted reporters has gotta squeeze something out of the Dougs and find out what's going on, because what I saw on the field in PIT was not acceptable. I actually laughed at the typical Bills ending to that game. Tuel was a joke and the headlines of the Bills website this morning should've read, "Tuel Released".

You have a short memory then. Let me give you a short list: Billy Joe Hobert, Joe Dufek, Bruce Matheson, Dan Manucci, WillieTotten, Brian Brohm, Vince Ferragamo, Gary Marangi...any one of these make Tuel and Lewis look like Brady and Manning.

I like your list, but Dufek, Matheson and Ferragamo were better than either Tuel or Lewis. Brohm and Hobert were third string. I believe Fitz and Edwards were also on the roster with Brohm and Van Pelt and Collins with with Hobert, so the situation wasn't quite as bad as it is now. Totten was a replacement player so I don't think it's really fair to include him on any list.

In short, I've been a Bills fan since the OJ days and I have to agree that I don't really remember a worse backup situation than during the Marrone era.

Edited by vincec

One guy I would love to see the Bills make a move for next offseason, if and when EJ crashes and burns this season, is Brock Osweiler, Peyton's backup in Denver. Guy is big with a strong arm and a bit of surprising athleticism for a guy that's 6'8. This armchair QB thinks he'll be a starter in this league sooner rather than later. I obviously don't know if Denver would want to deal him, but they did grab Dysert last year, too. Just a little food for thought, I suppose.

Man I really don't like brock but I seem to be in the minority.

Whaley saying this team likes competition everywhere is a joke when it comes to the QB position. Especially when your 2 and 3 guys were both undrafted FAs, one of which had 4 wins in 26 games and the other was traded for LB Chris White. And this aint your Daddys NFL, this is the pass happy NFL and these backups are just about/are the worst in the league.

Whaley saying this team likes competition everywhere is a joke when it comes to the QB position. Especially when your 2 and 3 guys were both undrafted FAs, one of which had 4 wins in 26 games and the other was traded for LB Chris White. And this aint your Daddys NFL, this is the pass happy NFL and these backups are just about/are the worst in the league.

Well they tried with kolb but he got KO'd. Lewis has regressed and tuel's arm has been exposed. Coaches are just caught in a vacuum all of a sudden

Well they tried with kolb but he got KO'd. Lewis has regressed and tuel's arm has been exposed. Coaches are just caught in a vacuum all of a sudden

And anybody this side of Buddy NIx knew Kolb was made of glass and had his toughness questioned by opponents. He was a terrible signing.

Better than what we have:

Tebow ... winning record, beat steelers in playoffs

Vince young ... officially retired but think he'd come out for the right offer

Levi brown ... looked good in last game before being run out of town for Chan's Tyler thigpen obsession

I'd rather cut my own throat. We've tried Vince and he's simply not bright enough. The bow can't throw the call. Brown is the same as what we have.