Who should stay on with new ownership?

Beerball

Who stays and who goes?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Does Brandon deserve to stay on with new ownership?

• Yes, he's done a decent job and deserves more time.
    • No, he doesn't deserve more time.
  2. 2. Does Whaley deserve to stay on with new ownership?

3. 3. Does Marrone deserve to stay on with new ownership?

How can we possibly say right now? It depends on who the new owner is and how well the team plays this year.

Wow does it ever. Winning cures all. If not however, the BIG name head coaches will be flying into Buffalo Intl.

The post Ralph coaching search new normal will include big names like Gruden, and Cowher where it hadn't before.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow does it ever. Winning cures all. If not however, the BIG name head coaches will be flying into Buffalo Intl.

The post Ralph coaching search new normal will include big names like Gruden, and Cowher where it hadn't before.

I don't know about those 2, but I agree that the team will have many more desirable candidates available than before, The problem wasn't the Buffalo region, it was having to work for the worst owner in the league.

I do like the direction the team is going in. I believe Brandon and Whaley want the Bills to be a forward thinking/moving organization. I wonder who will be gone once the owner comes in. I know there was an article earlier this year in regards to the "New Regime" vs the "Old Regime" in the Bills organization, as Whaley & Co want to do new things and wanted a new trainer, but the old regime was shutting them down and wants to keep doing things the way they've always done them.

still falls on brandon/whaley. why was nix even involved by then? really, why was he ever involved? you can bet though that if manuel steps up, they'll take credit. i still don't think it will be enough to keep their jobs, especially brandon.

You are right that they will take the credit and not the blame. That is why it is set up like that. I am fairly certain (slash positive) that Brandon and Whaley will still be here after this year. I would think that Marrone will be as well but not nearly as sure.

This is getting a lot of attention on Twitter today--

Citing new ownership as the reason, Mike Florio rather emphatically predicted Marrone will be out at the end of the season today on the Dan Patrick Show.

DP: "Is an AFC East coach going to be fired at end of season."

MF: "Doug Marrone, yes."

Can someone explain to me what any of these guys have done? Brandon has done nothing but lose (.382 winning percentage since '06 promotion) and sell us out to Toronto to lose more. Marrone hasn't been anything special. Whaley seems to draft selfishly and doesn't understand how to build a team to win. This team just loses. Longest playoff draught in entire NFL. Am I missing something? I can't imagine anyone spending over a Billion just to keep this garbage in place.

The Bills have been predictably terrible since Russ Brandon took over in 2009.

What Russ Brandon does well is keeping fans like you interested in a crappy team.

Which is exactly why he has such a strong reputation around the league. His organization makes a lot of money, in a bad market with a bad stadium and a team that is about to have the longest playoff drought in the 4 major sports.

I can't imagine anyone spending over a Billion just to keep this garbage in place.

this is where my mind keeps going back to. I dont know who would want to spend that much money, come in with high hopes and a renewed fanbase, and stick with the status quo unless there are signs of improvement this season (no changes are really possible or constructive until the last 1/4 of the season or after).

Getting rid of Brandon doesnt cast the Bills into some financial chasm, neither does the dismissal of Overdorf, Littman, or Mary Owen. There are plenty of apt business people that will be plenty adequate and possibly someone who the new owner is comfortable with and/or is familiar with the how he/she wants to do business (face it, the Sabres and Bills are/have both run in different modes). Its also the NFL. Its very hard not to succeed, especially with a good/loyal fanbase.

Likewise, if circumstances see Whaley/Marrone go, it doesnt automatically hit a complete reset button (Im talking about another last place finish anyways with no #1 pick). I do think we have a decent core of athletes that a new football department would like/choose to retain.

And then you also think of the way it went with the Pegulas when they were loyal and retained Ruff and Regier.

Edited by May Day 10

What Russ Brandon does well is keeping fans like you interested in a crappy team.

And that's exactly what his job is. He's done well over the years selling tickets for a product that constantly loses more than it wins.

Right now the only person I would he sad to see go is Whaley. Yes Brandon has done some great work marketing and making us viable in Buffalo, but at this point I am concerned with winning games. At some point we have to be.

Since Whaley was given 100% control I think he has made some very solid personnel moves. I would like to see him continue to build a roster and eventually go through a coaching search on his own too. I'd be curious to see the direction he goes, and what he does.

And that's exactly what his job is. He's done well over the years selling tickets for a product that constantly loses more than it wins.

That was his job as Director of Marketing. If that is what he does best, then put him back there and then find somebody qualified to lead the football operation back to the playoffs.

You wouldn't have a football team without Russ Brandon and Jeff Littman, so yes they should stay. Ever wonder who convinced the owners to agree to the non-relocation clause and $400 million penalty? Jeff Littman and Russ Brandon did it.

You wouldn't have a football team without Russ Brandon and Jeff Littman, so yes they should stay. Ever wonder who convinced the owners to agree to the non-relocation clause and $400 million penalty? Jeff Littman and Russ Brandon did it.

This is ridiculous. I don't know how much truth there is to your statement, but even if it is true, the end result is you get to continue running an NFL franchise for as long as you want? :doh:

Furthermore, if RW needed to be "convinced" to terms of a lease that would help the team stay in Buffalo, what does that say about his legacy as the only owner of the team and willingness to ensure that the team stays in Buffalo after he dies?

Well that is downright awesome. Could you post the link regarding Littman? i would be interested in reading the confirmed report on this from the orginazation.