Who should stay on with new ownership?

Beerball

Who stays and who goes?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Does Brandon deserve to stay on with new ownership?

• Yes, he's done a decent job and deserves more time.
    • No, he doesn't deserve more time.
  2. 2. Does Whaley deserve to stay on with new ownership?

3. 3. Does Marrone deserve to stay on with new ownership?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ridiculous. I don't know how much truth there is to your statement, but even if it is true, the end result is you get to continue running an NFL franchise for as long as you want? :doh:

Furthermore, if RW needed to be "convinced" to terms of a lease that would help the team stay in Buffalo, what does that say about his legacy as the only owner of the team and willingness to ensure that the team stays in Buffalo after he dies?

Ralph Wilson didn't need convincing, it was the other 31 owners that needed to be convinced. Also, Brandon has done a terrific job bringing in revenue to the Bills organization.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/95549486/8-13-erie-county-executive-mark-poloncarz.htm?'>http://audio.wgr550.com/a/95549486/8-13-erie-county-executive-mark-poloncarz.htm?

Four minutes in.

Well that is downright awesome. Could you post the link regarding Littman? i would be interested in reading the confirmed report on this from the orginazation.

Start listening at four minutes

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/95549486/8-13-erie-county-executive-mark-poloncarz.htm?

It is really hard to evaluate the performance of Whaley as GM since we do not how much of a role he had in decisions before officially becoming the GM. Was EJ his pick? Was he responsible for the trade for Hughes?

Overall, I am not as positive about Whaley as some because I think our QB situation, and in particular our back-up QB situation, is a complete disaster. We may have the worst back-ups in the NFL and EJ does not look like a quality starter. I understand and agree that in normal circumstances, EJ would be given time to develop, but the front office has tried to convince us that EJ would be ready immediately and no back-up plan was needed.

I also have concerns about the trade for Watkins and the signing of C. Williams at guard. I really like Watkins but we gave up a lot and it is unclear if we will compete for the playoffs this year. It was clear that our o-line needed to be upgraded, and I do not think that Williams was a quality signing at guard and CK has been a huge disappointment so far. The o-line does not look like it will be better this year, which was a major offseason priority.

Ralph Wilson didn't need convincing, it was the other 31 owners that needed to be convinced. Also, Brandon has done a terrific job bringing in revenue to the Bills organization.

My mistake. I misread your post. I thought it said "owner" not "ownerS".

I still stand by my statement, you don't get to remain on as the "top guy" running a NFL franchise just because you helped keep the team in its current city.

Edited by LabattBlue

My mistake. I misread your post. I thought it said "owner" not "ownerS".

I still stand by my statement, you don't get to remain on as the "top guy" running a NFL franchise just because you helped keep the team in its current city.

Brandon's job is to make the Bills money, and he has done a spectacular job doing so. He's also done a very good job regionalizing the team judging by the team's 12th overall TV ratings, despite the lack of prime-time games.

Brandon's job is to make the Bills money, and he has done a spectacular job doing so. He's also done a very good job regionalizing the team judging by the team's 12th overall TV ratings, despite the lack of prime-time games.

A cardboard cutout of Brandon could make the Bills money. They are profitable even if he sat in his office all day playing video games. If his main job is to make the team MORE profitable instead of a primary goal of winning a SB, then he is not the guy who should be in charge.

Edited by LabattBlue

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/95549486/8-13-erie-county-executive-mark-poloncarz.htm?'>http://audio.wgr550.com/a/95549486/8-13-erie-county-executive-mark-poloncarz.htm?

Four minutes in.

Start listening at four minutes

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/95549486/8-13-erie-county-executive-mark-poloncarz.htm?

Thanks for that. Coming from a guy that talks in Vague terms with zero supporting fact means nothing. Politicians love to make nicety's and back pat. it's just part of how they keep their own job. But I see

How you could hop on the Littmann bandwagon based soley on his comments. jeff Littmann's job with Ralph was to make money number one. On his case it came at the

Expense of fielding a good team. Every single deal crossed his desk. Over a long period of time. After the sale he will get his time to show new ownership the books, and his philosophy and then will be gone. Any new owner has their own money guys, they don't need

The old guards trash. As for Brandon as long as he is out of the loop on any football decision I'm good.

For some more insight into the Littmann legacy. Google "Bills Jeff littmann sucks" Some interesting historical perspective of the man and his roll with the bIlls. I would like him fired ASAP.

A cardboard cutout of Brandon could make the Bills money. They are profitable even if he sat in his office all day playing video games. If his main job is to make the team MORE profitable instead of a primary goal of winning a SB, then he is not the guy who should be in charge.

They were like 20th in the NFL in revenue last year (with a bad market and old stadium) -explain. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yes, I'm sure a cardboard cutout could broker the Toronto deal that earned the team $9 million a year. Also, it's Doug Whaley's job to make the Bills better, not Russ Brandon's. The fact that you want someone interfering with the GM is a little disconcerting, as the best organizations have the GM making the football decisions.

Yes, I'm sure a cardboard cutout could broker the Toronto deal that earned the team $9 million a year. Also, it's Doug Whaley's job to make the Bills better, not Russ Brandon's. The fact that you want someone interfering with the GM is a little disconcerting, as the best organizations have the GM making the football decisions.

I didn't say I want Brandon interfering. But isn't he ultimately responsible for the record of the team if he is the one who hires the GM?

What does that have to do with my question? In a small market with an old stadium how are they able to finish ahead of more than 1/3 of the league in total revenue?

I am not sure what this has to do with my statement that the Bills are profitable no matter who is in charge.

That being said, so Brandon is responsible for generating higher revenues than 10 other teams? JOB FOR LIFE. What more can I ask for as a life long Bills fan than this.

Edited by LabattBlue

I didn't say I want Brandon interfering. But isn't he ultimately responsible for the record of the team if he is the one who hires the GM?

I am not sure what this has to do with my statement that the Bills are profitable no matter who is in charge.

That being said, so Brandon is responsible for generating higher revenues than 10 other teams? JOB FOR LIFE. What more can I ask for as a life long Bills fan than this.

You were the one that said that "a cardboard cutout could do that." I was asking with the restrictions of the market and stadium how do they generate more revenue than more than 1/3 of the league? Wouldn't you agree that is incredibly impressive? Even RB's harshest critic (TXBILLSFAN) will admit that is phenomenal. You may take other issues with the guy as many on here have but to downplay that is impossible.

EDIT: To use a football equivalent that is like saying that Goodwin can't play WR because he isn't fast enough. If you want to pick a reason, go for it but when you make ignorant statements it hurts the credibility on the issue.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

And that's exactly what his job is. He's done well over the years selling tickets for a product that constantly loses more than it wins.

that's what wilson felt his job was. hopefully we'll get an owner that cares about winning. most of these guys are egomaniacs. they don't want their toy to look like garbage.

Can someone explain to me what any of these guys have done? Brandon has done nothing but lose (.382 winning percentage since '06 promotion) and sell us out to Toronto to lose more. Marrone hasn't been anything special. Whaley seems to draft selfishly and doesn't understand how to build a team to win. This team just loses. Longest playoff draught in entire NFL. Am I missing something? I can't imagine anyone spending over a Billion just to keep this garbage in place.

This was the first draft for Whaley as a GM. This is Marrone's second as a HC. I think Whaley has done a good job bringing in some quality personnel in trades, in the draft and in FA. Let's just see how this season plays out before we go making any sweeping changes. Too early to tell in my opinion on either Whaley or Marrone. Brandon on the other hand is up for debate. I am not sold on him one way or the other.

This was the first draft for Whaley as a GM. This is Marrone's second as a HC. I think Whaley has done a good job bringing in some quality personnel in trades, in the draft and in FA. Let's just see how this season plays out before we go making any sweeping changes. Too early to tell in my opinion on either Whaley or Marrone. Brandon on the other hand is up for debate. I am not sold on him one way or the other.

thats how I feel. If they make a step in the right direction, let's see it out a bit.

6-10 or a step backward... what exactly are we preserving?

It is really hard to evaluate the performance of Whaley as GM since we do not how much of a role he had in decisions before officially becoming the GM. Was EJ his pick? Was he responsible for the trade for Hughes?

Overall, I am not as positive about Whaley as some because I think our QB situation, and in particular our back-up QB situation, is a complete disaster. We may have the worst back-ups in the NFL and EJ does not look like a quality starter. I understand and agree that in normal circumstances, EJ would be given time to develop, but the front office has tried to convince us that EJ would be ready immediately and no back-up plan was needed.

I also have concerns about the trade for Watkins and the signing of C. Williams at guard. I really like Watkins but we gave up a lot and it is unclear if we will compete for the playoffs this year. It was clear that our o-line needed to be upgraded, and I do not think that Williams was a quality signing at guard and CK has been a huge disappointment so far. The o-line does not look like it will be better this year, which was a major offseason priority.

Ummmm EJ was meant to sit behind Kolb for a bit. The Kolb basically died, EJ then became entrenched as the starter. It is tough to take your rookie starter, make him a back up, then starter again. Not really the greatest progression for such am investment. I don't think this was the plan for EJ at all, and him being ready day one was never sold to is until Kolb was put on IR.

I like Whaley more than I do Russ honestly but don't feel that Whaley is ready to take over a position like Russ has at this point.

I think the two make a great team but I have to question the hiring of Marrone and let's say I agree with the hiring of Marrone (which I don't) I can't have a blind eye towards the fact that the coaching staff Marrone brought with him was horrid.

This year with the addition of Pepper Johnson and I believe a quarterbacks coach was clearly a Russ and Whaley move, but I feel that it's still not enough. We need a head coach who will not have ANYTHING positive to say after the 1st team offense and defense's performance on Saturday. No positives came out of that game for the 1st string offense and defense except for gaining yards (offense) but no TD and stopping the run (defense) but gave up an easy slant route TD to the Steelers.

Ummmm EJ was meant to sit behind Kolb for a bit. The Kolb basically died, EJ then became entrenched as the starter. It is tough to take your rookie starter, make him a back up, then starter again. Not really the greatest progression for such am investment. I don't think this was the plan for EJ at all, and him being ready day one was never sold to is until Kolb was put on IR.

It's funny how this narrative started spreading when EJ was hurt and struggled last year. When Buffalo signed Kolb, it was a very small deal for a starting QB, something like 2 years and 6.1M. Besides, what NFL front office signs the most brittle QB in the league and expects him to start for them?

I can only believe Kolb was signed to be the backup and mentor the future rookie (EJ wasn't drafted yet), but not surprisingly didn't make it.

The common theme over the 14 years of futility in Buffalo has been a complete breakdown in assessing QB talent and planning appropriately for the position. You don't sign and thus depend on Kevin Kolb to log significant minutes given his injury history. What kind of advanced planning does that demonstrate, especially after he couldn't make it in Philly and Arizona?

That's the reason why the organization has to be gutted. It would send a message the new owner isn't satisfied with 6 win seasons and the people responsible for that lack of performance. If the team can't get the QB position right, nothing else matters in personnel.

Edited by BillsVet