Who should stay on with new ownership?

Beerball

Who stays and who goes?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Does Brandon deserve to stay on with new ownership?

• Yes, he's done a decent job and deserves more time.
    • No, he doesn't deserve more time.
  2. 2. Does Whaley deserve to stay on with new ownership?

3. 3. Does Marrone deserve to stay on with new ownership?

I really don't understand the tremendous amount of support for the current regime of Brandon,Whaley and Marrone. A neutral observer might ask what exactly have they proven or accomplished? The neutral observer might answer truthfully, "Not much!"

The only conclusion I can draw from these unofficial poll results is that Bills fans are so accustomed to mediocrity that they have forgotten what success really looks like. If the Bills finish 6-10 again this year will the poll results look different next year? Probably not.

I think that if you read through the thread you will hear a detailed assement and reasoning of each (on both sides). This level of fact and understanding is well beyond the knowledge of a neutral observer.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After tonight's game, I hope fans start to seriously question why Brandon is still with this organization. I don't want to hear that he has nothing to do with football decisions, that's complete BS.

This team desperately needs a culture change or should I say culture SHOCK

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

After tonight's game, I hope fans start to seriously question why Brandon is still with this organization. I don't want to here he has nothing to do with football decisions, that's complete BS.

Ok, real question...

How was tonights game on Brandon? He went out and secured one of the hottest coaches on the market last year. Marrone wanted Hackett, and its only been one year, so not a shock he hasn't fired him yet (although I wouldnt object to firing Hackett). He also brought in Whaley, who's been amazing at his job so far.

People forget how bad this team was before last year...

This team has two problems...

1. Hackett - But I understand why he still has a job as he's only had one year thus far, but he will be gone after this one if he doesn't get it together. No way he would get fired after having to go through 5 QB's in one season due to injury. (I am not a fan of Hackett, just stating facts).

2. Quarterback - We have a 2nd year QB with only 10 games under his belt who was already raw coming out of college. Until EJ (or someone else) stabilizes the QB position, this team will struggle.

But I don't see how Brandon is at fault of any of this. They believe in EJ, so we did not draft a QB this year and instead got much needed help elsewhere like OL, LB, DB, WR. Hackett isn't going to be fired after one season under a new regime. Doesn't happen very often. And with all the injuries we had on offense last year, especially QB, he is going to get one more year at least.

After tonight's game, I hope fans start to seriously question why Brandon is still with this organization. I don't want to hear that he has nothing to do with football decisions, that's complete BS.

A bit if an odd post TX and it does little to dispel the notion that you hate Brandon. If you said Marrone because of Hackett you would have rallied people. If you said Whaley (the safest of the 3) because of EJ you would have gained some steam. RB is the most insulated of the 3 from today (not that it is a ringing endorsement). Edited by Kirby Jackson

Ok, real question...

How was tonights game on Brandon? He went out and secured one of the hottest coaches on the market last year. Marrone wanted Hackett, and its only been one year, so not a shock he hasn't fired him yet (although I wouldnt object to firing Hackett). He also brought in Whaley, who's been amazing at his job so far.

People forget how bad this team was before last year...

This team has two problems...

1. Hackett - But I understand why he still has a job as he's only had one year thus far, but he will be gone after this one if he doesn't get it together. No way he would get fired after having to go through 5 QB's in one season due to injury. (I am not a fan of Hackett, just stating facts).

2. Quarterback - We have a 2nd year QB with only 10 games under his belt who was already raw coming out of college. Until EJ (or someone else) stabilizes the QB position, this team will struggle.

But I don't see how Brandon is at fault of any of this. They believe in EJ, so we did not draft a QB this year and instead got much needed help elsewhere like OL, LB, DB, WR. Hackett isn't going to be fired after one season under a new regime. Doesn't happen very often. And with all the injuries we had on offense last year, especially QB, he is going to get one more year at least.

Call it "tipping point". After 14 years, I think a change is needed.

With respect specifically to tonight,

1- it's clearer that EJ is not the QB of the future. By all accounts, EJ was an "organizational" pick and that includes Brandon. In addition, Brandon went "all in" with EJ at the draft and gave away 2 first round picks to get him a WR. So, if EJ isn't the guy, we are screwed.

2-Brandon hired this coaching staff, and right now on the offensive side of the ball, they look hopeless.

In addition (not about tonight)things he has done that I don't like

1- The Toronto series

2- Tenure as GM

3- Cap management (under spending or too much dead money)

A bit if an odd post TX and it does little to dispel the notion that you hate Brandon. If you said Marrone because of Hackett you would have rallied people. If you said Whaley (the safest of the 3) because of EJ you would have gained some steam. RB is the most insulated of the 3 from today (not that it is a ringing endorsement).

See my list, tell me where I'm wrong ? You cant' change the culture by continuing with the same CEO and rotating HC's, OC's, DC's and QB's. At some point, the CEO has do go.

BTW, I hate the way Brandon has run this organization and I don't have any trust or faith in him to make changes to fix this team. I've seen enough over the past 14 years and yes, over the past 20 months to know it ain't getting any better

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

I am starting to think that Whaley and Marrone may not survive if EJ plays poorly this year and the offense struggles. The Bills supposedly spent a tremendous amount of time assessing the QB prospects the year that EJ was drafted, and decided that EJ deserved to be drafted before and other QB and in the first round. I do not recall any draft analyst suggesting that EJ was mid first round pick. This year, our second round pick has played poorly and is now a project, which is unusual for a high second round pick.

For Marrone (and Hackett), the offense is predictable and EJ does not seem to be progressing. The o-line is a mess, which could be on the players, the coaches or Whaley (or some combination). Signing WIlliams will not be the answer at guard.

If the Bills finish with a very poor record this year and Cleveland has a top five pick from the Bills in next year's draft, Whaley will face many questions about his decision to trade up to draft Watkins and the coaching staff and front office will be under scrutiny.

I am starting to think that Whaley and Marrone may not survive if EJ plays poorly this year and the offense struggles. The Bills supposedly spent a tremendous amount of time assessing the QB prospects the year that EJ was drafted, and decided that EJ deserved to be drafted before and other QB and in the first round. I do not recall any draft analyst suggesting that EJ was mid first round pick. This year, our second round pick has played poorly and is now a project, which is unusual for a high second round pick.

For Marrone (and Hackett), the offense is predictable and EJ does not seem to be progressing. The o-line is a mess, which could be on the players, the coaches or Whaley (or some combination). Signing WIlliams will not be the answer at guard.

If the Bills finish with a very poor record this year and Cleveland has a top five pick from the Bills in next year's draft, Whaley will face many questions about his decision to trade up to draft Watkins and the coaching staff and front office will be under scrutiny.

The Bills put too much faith in Fitzpatrick back when Nix was GM and failed to draft QB for a few years. Then, they realized that Fitz wasn't the answer and they were stuck having to draft a QB in a bad QB draft. So, they took EJ. I was okay with that because it was slim pickings. EJ plays a year, gets hurt 3 different times and is inconsistent and at best still a huge question mark. This is where I have a BIG PROBLEM. Every objective analyst at this point believes EJ is still a huge question mark and this FO decides to go all in on EJ and mortgage the future to get a WR with huge upside. I like Watkins, but trading away next year's 1st was insane. Trade a couple of 2nd's to allow yourself a Plan B. In addition, why not sign Vick or another vet as an insurance policy just in case EJ doesn't get better this year. Again, I lay ALL of this specific problem at the feet of the current FO Brandon-Whaley and Marrone (and Nix)

Kirby -- where am I wrong ?

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

If the Bills pull another 6 win season (which is history has taught us is highly probable), Whaley should be the 1st person given a box to pack his personal effects. He drafted EJ (or at least, consented to it). A GM is married to the QB he drafts. And don't forget trading away next year's 1st for Watkins (when we have no one to throw the ball to Watkins). As for Marrone, he'll be collateral damage due to the QB he was given and the man who hired him.

Edited by kas23

The Bills put too much faith in Fitzpatrick back when Nix was GM and failed to draft QB for a few years. Then, they realized that Fitz wasn't the answer and they were stuck having to draft a QB in a bad QB draft. So, they took EJ. I was okay with that because it was slim pickings. EJ plays a year, gets hurt 3 different times and is inconsistent and at best still a huge question mark. This is where I have a BIG PROBLEM. Every objective analyst at this point believes EJ is still a huge question mark and this FO decides to go all in on EJ and mortgage the future to get a WR with huge upside. I like Watkins, but trading away next year's 1st was insane. Trade a couple of 2nd's to allow yourself a Plan B. In addition, why not sign Vick or another vet as an insurance policy just in case EJ doesn't get better this year. Again, I lay ALL of this specific problem at the feet of the current FO Brandon-Whaley and Marrone (and Nix)

Kirby -- where am I wrong ?

Completely agree. Shocking that the Bills did not find a veteran QB to be the #2, not just because EJ needed some competition and can get hurt again or potentially play poorly, but because our current back-up QBs probably should not be on an NFL roster.

If the Bills pull another 6 win season (which is history has taught us is highly probable), Whaley should be the 1st person given a box to pack his personal effects. He drafted EJ (or at least, consented to it). A GM is married to the QB he drafts. And don't forget trading away next year's 1st for Watkins (when we have no one to throw the ball to Watkins). As for Marrone, he'll be collateral damage due to the QB he was given and the man who hired him.

And what about the guy who hired Whaley ? Signed off on Marrone ? Signed off on the Watkins trade ? Guys, wake up, you will never change the culture of losing if you don't start at the top and replace Brandon. It's not personal, although it feels that way, it's business. You want to change, put someone else in charge of making those decisions.

Whaley needs to go. Reaching for EJ was terrible and trading 2 high # 1 for a WR is absurd especially when you don't have an NFL QB. Losing a pro bowl S without any compensation is unacceptable. This offseason he resigned Branch who will be cut instead of Carrington and he signed a mediocre G Chris Williams. Not having a suitable backup QB for 2 years in a row . We should have hired Caldwell the GM in Jax who is from Buffalo and it seems like he has a good coach and QB prospect in Bortles. Also allowing a completely inexperienced OC and replaceing a good ST coach with a poor one.

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't been good in 15 years, and what is the one constant through this period of time? Russ Brandon! I don't see where he has done any good for the franchise, and has had a hand in some of the worst hires in team history, notably Marv and Nix as GM's, a position that neither one was even close to being qualified for.

If this team is to move forward, they need to do it with a 100% fresh start, not more of the same inept management that is directly responsible for a decade and a half of ineptness. None of these guys has been able to see how poorly we have been at quarterback through this time span, doesn't that say enough?