Chicago Media- Bills are an Easy Win

The Bills lost to the Falcons and Buccaneers. They still had an outside shot at the playoffs when they played the Falcons.

It's a home opener against a team with no established QB.

If you were a Bears fan and the local media said anything other than definite win you would be ridiculing them.

Just win games and make the playoffs and then the media bias will be non-existent. The media only cares about winners.

I don't get this resignation to defeat we have. Oh, they're 8-8. We should just forfeit. We have a good team, danmit. Our D is good. Our RBs are good. Our kicker is clutch. We have as much chance to win this game as any. Cutler is nothing special. He's won nothing. Why are we in awe of him? F them, F Schopp. We got this one.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this resignation to defeat we have. Oh, they're 8-8. We should just forfeit. We have a good team, danmit. Our D is good. Our RBs are good. Our kicker is clutch. We have as much chance to win this game as any. Cutler is nothing special. He's won nothing. Why are we in awe of him? F them, F Schopp. We got this one.

As fans we perceive those parts of our team to be good. Too bad it hasn't resulted in diddly poo. The reality is they haven't done diddly poo.

Listening to local Chicago sports radio and most are calling the Bills an "easy win" for the Bears in the season opener.

It's that same old media bias against the Bills and it kind of stings a little hearing it first hand especially since the Bears were 8-8 last year.

How I would love for the Bills to prove them wrong in a big way!

Me too, but until we start winning we will be viewed as bottom feeders.

I'll take bets of any amounts that the Bills lose, all the people here can safely root for the Bills while backing up their predictions.

I didn't read any "Bills will win" predictions in this thread. If there were, there were only a few. Your daring people to bet you makes it seem like the board was full of homers predicting them winning. I didn't read that here, I read replys from fans who thought the Bills would play them tough.

So in fairness to this thread, why don’t you take bets giving the Bills the 6-6.5 points?

I didn't read any "Bills will win" predictions in this thread. If there were, there were only a few. Your daring people to bet you makes it seem like the board was full of homers predicting them winning. I didn't read that here, I read replys from fans who thought the Bills would play them tough.

So in fairness to this thread, why don’t you take bets giving the Bills the 6-6.5 points?

I read the replies and plenty of people were proclaiming victory so I'm giving them a chance to profit on these thoughts.

I read the replies and plenty of people were proclaiming victory so I'm giving them a chance to profit on these thoughts.

I just read the whole thread, and of the 100+ posts in it, there were 5 predictions of victory.

I only saw 1 person, however, seemingly challenge the intelligence of those folks.

I just read the whole thread, and of the 100+ posts in it, there were 5 predictions of victory.

I only saw 1 person, however, seemingly challenge the intelligence of those folks.

I saw a few more and what's the difference, I'm offering a chance for those people to bet the Bills vig free. They should jump at this opportunity.

I saw a few more and what's the difference, I'm offering a chance for those people to bet the Bills vig free. They should jump at this opportunity.

The difference between "plenty of people" and "5 out of over 130" is, IMO, enormous.

As for the "opportunity" you're offering, it seems more like you're trying to make a point, and IMO, you can more readily make it by simply stating that you disagree with those select few that are proclaiming victory.

The difference between "plenty of people" and "5 out of over 130" is, IMO, enormous.

As for the "opportunity" you're offering, it seems more like you're trying to make a point, and IMO, you can more readily make it by simply stating that you disagree with those select few that are proclaiming victory.

Assuming your five people is correct why don't you count the actual posters instead of post count?

Assuming your five people is correct why don't you count the actual posters instead of post count?

Why bother, does it make your point any more salient? Would it change the definition of "plenty"?

If you are trying to say that you don't think the Bills have a chance, just say so and your point would be made.

That's the last I'm going to say about the topic.

Chicago is a funny town. On one hand they have this big inferiority complex versus new York because of the "2nd city" label. (In my experience new yorkers don't even care or see any rivalry with chicago). Yet Chicago expresses this inferiority with a dismissive, arrogant attitude towards cities smaller than them.

Bear fan here. I'd like to respectfully address a few things I have seen stated in this thread, but also in other threads:

• I live a couple hours south of Chicago and listen to a fair amount of 670 am and 1000 am. I haven't been hearing the "easy win" comments. In fact, I haven't been hearing much, if any, week 1 game discussion at all yet.
  • Schwartz was 3-7 against the Bears as Lions HC. Many of you are selectively choosing to focus only on last year.
  • The Bears D is not nearly the same one that finished last season personnel-wise. Many of you seem to be banking on them making no improvements in their run defense, but at the same time assuming multiple facets of the Bills will be improved. Its a trap all fanbases fall into this time of year.
  • The Bears O-Line allowed the 4th fewest sacks in the NFL last year - clearly not terrible.
  • The biggest wildcard factor in the game is that it will be Week 1 and everyone is still sort of getting their feet under them. I would be less concerned about this game if it were Week 3 or later, but the fact that it is in Chicago (where they have dominated Week 1 games lately) makes me feel pretty good about their chances.
  • Buffalo's WRs are not "on par" with Chicago's. One hasn't even played a regular season NFL snap yet. I know you are excited about their potential, but c'mon.

Anyway, that's about it. No ill-will towards anyone that posts here, just thought I would provide an opposing viewpoint.

Welcome, Bears Fan. I'll take you on point for point.

Schwartz was 3 & 7 against the Bears?

That only makes me even more confident in a Bills win. When they review game film of Schwartz's defense they'll be looking at Detroit games. This defense is way better than that, even on the d-line. Suh is great, but I think Kyle is better. The rest of our front 4 is better than theirs too. Now for the rest of the D. It's not even close. Our back seven is far more superior to Detroit's. When they see Schwartz's defense on film they'll get a rude awakening on game-day. While I expect Marshall and Jeffrey to put up stats, I don't see them dominating.

You got Allen?

Great, but Father Time is undefeated. He's only getting older, not better. He finished strong last year but he started-off pretty pedestrian. The rest of your defense is unimpressive.

The fourth fewest sacks allowed?

Deceiving statistic. According to bleacher report the Bears allowed 45 hits, and 180 hurries. That's good for 30th in the league. The credit goes to the QBs for not taking sacks, not your offensive line. The Bills have the better pass rush than any team you faced last year. The Rams were the closest.

I agree with you on your last two points. Your receivers are way better than ours and you have the homefield advantage.

I say the Bills win a close one. The ugly Cutler will show up against our defense. That'll be the difference.

Edited by NoJustice

Lots of good & bad posts on this thread but I have to be rational and agree with the side of "why would they respect us at all".

You can say what you want about potential (which I happen to agree with) but its only potential right now and with 4/5 of our last seasons ending with 6/10 we deserve to be taken lightly. Only way you can change that is on the field.

One last thing about the Bears W.R's: anyone who watched Marshall & Alshon play on the field at the same time would know that we are a long way away from that. I agree that we probably have more depth at the position were one of them to go down but they have 2 top 10 wideouts on their team.

Lots of good & bad posts on this thread but I have to be rational and agree with the side of "why would they respect us at all".

You can say what you want about potential (which I happen to agree with) but its only potential right now and with 4/5 of our last seasons ending with 6/10 we deserve to be taken lightly. Only way you can change that is on the field.

One last thing about the Bears W.R's: anyone who watched Marshall & Alshon play on the field at the same time would know that we are a long way away from that. I agree that we probably have more depth at the position were one of them to go down but they have 2 top 10 wideouts on their team.

Their receives are good and they've invested a lot in them, but not being a homer here ours have a chance to be just as good if not better (more depth). Won't know until their on the field in regular season. If there's an advantage bears WRs will have its more familiarity with QB. But pass rush can change that in a hurry. IMO either secondary will get eaten alive if the QB has time to throw

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Yeah, I agree their WR may give us fits if we can't pressure Cutler. Luckily, I think we will. And hopefully Duke decapitates Bennett so he's a non-factor, too.

If we can take Forte out of the game, making Jay toss it 35 times might be the key. All the Bills fans clamoring for the Pettine-style blitzes should hope for a more subdued approach. I don't want out LBs and safeties leaving Forte open in the flats too often.

Listening to local Chicago sports radio and most are calling the Bills an "easy win" for the Bears in the season opener.

It's that same old media bias against the Bills and it kind of stings a little hearing it first hand especially since the Bears were 8-8 last year.

How I would love for the Bills to prove them wrong in a big way!

its no different than a lot of folks here chalking up "easy wins"

on their schedule, we are probably one of the teams that they should be pointing to as an opportunity to pick up a W

will that happen, who knows -- but i dont think they are crazy when they chalk up Ws and Ls that theyd put us as a W most of the time

It's all about EJ if he comes out & shows inconsistency , bad reads & accuracy problems as we have seen then it will be a tight game but if he can prove that he is the guy those that made him a first round pick thought he could be then the game is a Bills win no problem because our D is gonna show up !!

Hey Yolo, go grab Sal's tweets about Cutler's 1st 5 games vs. Schwartz and his last 5 vs. Schwartz. Eye-opening.

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 15m

Jay Cutler's 1st 5 games vs Jim Schwartz' Lions: 68.7%; 254 yds avg; 10 TD/1 INT. Last 5 games vs Schwartz: 54.1%; 219 yds; 5 TD/4 INT. WOW

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 22m

Those are some huge differentials. And they are consistent. Cutler had monster games his first 5 vs Schwartz, then couldn't do much at all

Sal Capaccio @SalSports · 58m

Jay Cutler's QBR of 75.0 against 4 or fewer rushers was 6th best in NFL last season, but against extra pressure, was 57.1, 16th-best in NFL.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 15m

Jay Cutler's 1st 5 games vs Jim Schwartz' Lions: 68.7%; 254 yds avg; 10 TD/1 INT. Last 5 games vs Schwartz: 54.1%; 219 yds; 5 TD/4 INT. WOW

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 22m

Those are some huge differentials. And they are consistent. Cutler had monster games his first 5 vs Schwartz, then couldn't do much at all

Sal Capaccio @SalSports · 58m

Jay Cutler's QBR of 75.0 against 4 or fewer rushers was 6th best in NFL last season, but against extra pressure, was 57.1, 16th-best in NFL.

its an interesting dynamic. especially since schwartz used extra rushers at one of the lowest rates in the nfl. id be curious if hes watched the games, or dug deeper to see if there was anything noteworthy that would cause a swing like that. Are the 5 games consistently good, then consistently bad? Or are a few good early and a couple bad late skewing the small samples?

Watching this bears replay....and I just don't see how we win....there offense is sick.....not ruling it out but I'd be happy with a competitive game....an NFC loss wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...just have to get to cutler if we want a chance at this game...but I guess you could say that about any game.

As a Rochester Transplant living in Chicago, I made a wager with my Senior Pastor (and Bears fan...and boss) about this game. I am an Associate Pastor at Harvest Bible Chapel Palos. And I believe in the Bills.

IF the Bears win, I must take to YouTube singing Bear Down Chicago Bears

IF (WHEN!) the Bills shock the world and take game 1, my pastor must take to YouTube and sing SHOUT.

What should I add to this wager?

As a Rochester Transplant living in Chicago, I made a wager with my Senior Pastor (and Bears fan...and boss) about this game. I am an Associate Pastor at Harvest Bible Chapel Palos. And I believe in the Bills.

IF (WHEN!) the Bills shock the world and take game 1, my pastor must take to YouTube and sing SHOUT.

Loser must declare to the congregation in church service that "God is clearly a [winning team's] fan"?

No fire? no brimstone? Can you make him wear a Bills robe to his next service?

Watching this bears replay....and I just don't see how we win....there offense is sick.....not ruling it out but I'd be happy with a competitive game....an NFC loss wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...just have to get to cutler if we want a chance at this game...but I guess you could say that about any game.

A preaseason game vs. a vanilla D? I agree their offense one of the better ones in the league, personnel wise. But don't go by what you see in preseason. Cutler won 5 games last year. The offense looked best with McCown, who is gone. Cutler has talent, but he has a long way to go to prove he is a "winner." Making the playoffs more than once in eight seasons would be a start. He needs to stay healthy or they are toast considering his backup is Jimmy Claussen.

LOL! Everyone giving Cutler a tongue bath should read this. The same people saying the Bills have done nothing act like Cutler is a god.

Well, I suspect most Bills fans would have enjoyed going to the playoffs once in the past 8 years. Or 14 for that matter.

We were 6-10, that's reality. We should be underdogs in just about every game we play. That's fine by me, let everyone overlook us. By my estimation that would take some national media pressure off EJ and we can be a silent assassin out of the AFC east. BTW just watched some B.S. bleacher report clip from 3 jokers who haven't even watched our preseason games... 4-12 predictions... EJ looks terrible... if you want to get angry at a bunch of pretend journalists then watch that (site will not allow link, sorry) :censored:

Edited by SJDK

Well, I suspect most Bills fans would have enjoyed going to the playoffs once in the past 8 years. Or 14 for that matter.

Considering that Cutler was pick #11, would you be happy seven years from now if all that EJ would have done is taken the Bills to the playoffs once ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago