Tony Stewart hits, kills Kevin Ward,Jr. at Canandaigua Motorsports Par

YoloinOhio

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument that Stewarts temper played a huge role in this has been very strange to me. What was he even supposed to be mad about here? He came through that corner in one piece and was still going in the race. And now your bit of info that there may very well have not been any contact at all, he's not the list bit angry.

The only thing that happens that would cause a reaction is if/when he sees Ward on the track. I can't picture that being something that would cause a racer to get angry.

I think the wonder is - did he see him screaming and waving his arms and just punch the gas as a "screw you" a little without thinking he was that close or the back end would kick that far.... Not that he was in a blind rage or anything terribly crazy.

This is the most damming thing against all the so called people (idiots) that are bellyaching Stewart gunned it.

Comments like this are the biggest reason why I, and a lot of others, choose to spend our time elsewhere these days. In this thread alone there have been quite a few comments that involved name calling and/or complete disrespect for other people.

Comments like this are the biggest reason why I, and a lot of others, choose to spend our time elsewhere these days. In this thread alone there have been quite a few comments that involved name calling and/or complete disrespect for other people.

Hey... I am sorry man. I by no means want to chase you off. I will delete the post.

Really, you guys do not get it. If he was able to pass the whole time why didn't he? It's just as much both parties being guilty! Pulling out your cell phone and recording it instead of changing lanes? Come on!

LoL... Go back in the thread, I already made a comment about FLA and dude dumping his rig. Beat you too it... JUST KIDDING... ;-P ;-P

Ugh.... I agree... If I fly off the handle a few times and my wife ends up dead, does that mean I did it?

no, because we know there is no chance of that happening. You'd get your little hick arse kicked by your woman. Mrs. Cletus would be suspect numbero unero.

Get back on topic or this thread will be locked.

Hey Jack, I guess I will/should be the one to right this thread back up above the water line.

On topic about the agreement these drivers sign saying that they WILL stay with their vehicles, I wonder how that legal instrument will have an effect on a civil case (if a civil case is even started)? If it is true Ward signed some kind of waiver that he was supposed to stay with the vehicle (unless on fire), wouldn't it be a slam dunk win for Tony Stewart in any civil legal proceeding? Or is he still liable for harming somebody even when the person harmed was breaking a signed agreement? Any legal experts out there?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Hey Jack, I guess I will/should be the one to right this thread back up above the water line.

On topic about the agreement these drivers sign saying that they WILL stay with their vehicles, I wonder how that legal instrument will have an effect on a civil case (if a civil case is even started)? If it is true Ward signed some kind of waiver that he was supposed to stay with the vehicle (unless on fire), wouldn't it be a slam dunk win for Tony Stewart in any civil legal proceeding? Or is he still liable for harming somebody even when the person harmed was breaking a signed agreement? Any legal experts out there?

It may help TS if there were a wrongful death type of lawsuit filed.... But I can't see any other reason that would come into play... Seems more like a rule or suggestion (to protect the track) than anything else...

Jack, is this a poor time to mention my love of cinnamon/sugar poptarts?

Another note my friend just told me about, watch and LISTEN to the video. You do not hear any noise from the crash, only the cars that are in front of the stands where the video was shot. So the accelerating people are hearing on the video is the cars in front of the stands, not the cars on the other side of the track.

The sound of accleration coincides exactly with....the acceleration/swerving of Stewart's car. The rest of the cars are visibly slowing down as they are under caution. Why would they be accelerating (in front of the stands or anywhere else) in the second lap of a caution flag?

No offense to your friend or disrespect to his expertise, but I'm pretty comfortable with interpretting what I see and hear on that video. And as NoSaint says, even if one believes your friend's distinction about the sound, it isn't rlelvant to the fact that Stewart's car speed up before contact with Ward.

The sound of accleration coincides exactly with....the acceleration/swerving of Stewart's car. The rest of the cars are visibly slowing down as they are under caution. Why would they be accelerating (in front of the stands or anywhere else) in the second lap of a caution flag?

No offense to your friend or disrespect to his expertise, but I'm pretty comfortable with interpretting what I see and hear on that video. And as NoSaint says, even if one believes your friend's distinction about the sound, it isn't rlelvant to the fact that Stewart's car speed up before contact with Ward.

Touching only on your question asked...

Because these cars need to maintain a minimum speed and the drivers attempt to keep the tires hot, they do goose the throttle at different intervals around the track under caution. Especially in these cars, which do not have a transmission and need go get push started out of the pits.

I just want to remind everyone that the #45 who almost hit Kevin Ward is a veteran sprint car driver and just a second earlier also had a near miss. Would you all feel the same way about this if it was him who hit the kid?

Or better yet, take the auto racing perspective out of this all together. Would YOU be able to react if someone showed up in your blind spot 12 inches from your car while you were driving down a city street at 30-35 MPH?

Honest question.... Do you watch any type of racing?

Gotta go in with WEO.It seems the posters on the "innocent" of "innocent until proven guilty" are going out of their way to explain away the obvious actions caught on film.

• 3 time Nascar great known for rough driving pinches young upstart into wall.
  • Young upstart - recklessly and yes could have prevented the whole thing - storms onto track
  • TS - known for attitude and a whole history of mixing things up with other drivers on and off the track comes around where he KNOWS the car he just pinched is.
  • TS definitely taking a higher line on the track than other passing vehicles - sees driver and blips the throttle to - well - be Tony Stewart.

Sorry - you are not going to hit the throttle to avoid the kid. The kid was on the right of TS car and blipping the throttle is going to do nothing but swing the end of the car right. The above seems VERY plausible - if not the MOST plausible to that explains everything that happened adequately.

I would say that those in the camp of saying TS was not a participant in the fault have a harder time explaining what happened in accordance with what is on film.

Can TS be be criminally prosecuted? - doubtful.

Will there be a civil trial - probably.

I also think there is an element of simple un-comprehensiveness (if that is a word) to the whole thing. It is very hard to even think that something like a typical dirt track dust up ends up as it did - and even more hard to think that TS might have completed the second half of the mistakes with a simple blip of the throttle "message".......

Whatever happened -TS has to wake up every morning....

Edited by baskin

Why can't he wake up in the afternoon?

BTW, you last sentence there suggests you've already made your decision about what happened.

Touching only on your question asked...

Because these cars need to maintain a minimum speed and the drivers attempt to keep the tires hot, they do goose the throttle at different intervals around the track under caution. Especially in these cars, which do not have a transmission and need go get push started out of the pits.

I just want to remind everyone that the #45 who almost hit Kevin Ward is a veteran sprint car driver and just a second earlier also had a near miss. Would you all feel the same way about this if it was him who hit the kid?

Or better yet, take the auto racing perspective out of this all together. Would YOU be able to react if someone showed up in your blind spot 12 inches from your car while you were driving down a city street at 30-35 MPH?

Car 45 avoids Ward becuase he is driving slowly and in a straight line. If he had accelerated as he was approaching/passing the pedestrian, I would find it just as strange.

In your scenario, I may hit a pedestrian who appeared "suddenly" as you described. But if I was driving slowly around in a circle at an accident scene and a maniac purposefully came onto the road waving his hands and gesticulating at my approaching car for 10 seconds, I would consider that a totally different scenario.

Honest question.... Do you watch any type of racing?

Not much. But I don't see how it waould change what I see and hear onthe video. I don't know how anyone can honestly say that that is not Stewart's car revving up at that instance.

Car 45 avoids Ward becuase he is driving slowly and in a straight line. If he had accelerated as he was approaching/passing the pedestrian, I would find it just as strange.

In your scenario, I may hit a pedestrian who appeared "suddenly" as you described. But if I was driving slowly around in a circle at an accident scene and a maniac purposefully came onto the road waving his hands and gesticulating at my approaching car for 10 seconds, I would consider that a totally different scenario.

Not much. But I don't see how it waould change what I see and hear onthe video. I don't know how anyone can honestly say that that is not Stewart's car revving up at that instance.

You asked why a driver would accelerate while under caution.... Watch a race, every driver does that every caution... From the vantage point of the video, the audio is far too loud for me to be sure it's TS... I think a very likely possibility is that as TS approached, cars were also passing in front of the guy recording, and goosed their engine...

Why can't he wake up in the afternoon?

BTW, you last sentence there suggests you've already made your decision about what happened.

Make your own assumptions about my post....what do you think happened?

Gotta go in with WEO.It seems the posters on the "innocent" of "innocent until proven guilty" are going out of their way to explain away the obvious actions caught on film.

• 3 time Nascar great known for rough driving pinches young upstart into wall.
  • Young upstart - recklessly and yes could have prevented the whole thing - storms onto track
  • TS - known for attitude and a whole history of mixing things up with other drivers on and off the track comes around where he KNOWS the car he just pinched is.
  • TS definitely taking a higher line on the track than other passing vehicles - sees driver and blips the throttle to - well - be Tony Stewart.

Sorry - you are not going to hit the throttle to avoid the kid. The kid was on the right of TS car and blipping the throttle is going to do nothing but swing the end of the car right. The above seems VERY plausible - if not the MOST plausible to that explains everything that happened adequately.

I would say that those in the camp of saying TS was not a participant in the fault have a harder time explaining what happened in accordance with what is on film.

Can TS be be criminally prosecuted? - doubtful.

Will there be a civil trial - probably.

I also think there is an element of simple un-comprehensiveness (if that is a word) to the whole thing. It is very hard to even think that something like a typical dirt track dust up ends up as it did - and even more hard to think that TS might have completed the second half of the mistakes with a simple blip of the throttle "message".......

Again, this appears to be a comment from someone who reads some articles and watches a video and draws their own conclusions... Which is perfectly fine, I wish more people would think for themselves!! The problem I have is where you claim that the only thing goosing the throttle will do is send the back of the car right.... Sure, a typical rear wheel drive vehicle may react like that, but not these cars... Please finish the research and look at both sides if you are going to claim something as fact

You asked why a driver would accelerate while under caution.... Watch a race, every driver does that every caution... From the vantage point of the video, the audio is far too loud for me to be sure it's TS... I think a very likely possibility is that as TS approached, cars were also passing in front of the guy recording, and goosed their engine...

But even then - are you trying to say Stewart didnt hit the gas? Then why even talk about the further down the line stuff at that point (cars do it each caution, it's also a steering maneuver etc....)

But even then - are you trying to say Stewart didnt hit the gas? Then why even talk about the further down the line stuff at that point (cars do it each caution, it's also a steering maneuver etc....)

Because like everyone else, I wasn't there... I have read and watched basically the same stuff that everyone else has. I'm not saying he did or didn't accelerate, but I'm suggesting that what people heard, may not be what they thought it was.... And if he did accelerate, I'm offering an explanation as to why he might have...

For all I know Tony could have tracked the kid down and tried to pull his "punk card", no one knows...

I hope none of my statements came off as me trying to push facts off.... It just gets old seeing comments of people claiming that "this" or "that" are the only possible reasons for doing "a, b, c..." When they don't have all the information....

Edited by CountryCletus

Again, this appears to be a comment from someone who reads some articles and watches a video and draws their own conclusions... Which is perfectly fine, I wish more people would think for themselves!! The problem I have is where you claim that the only thing goosing the throttle will do is send the back of the car right.... Sure, a typical rear wheel drive vehicle may react like that, but not these cars... Please finish the research and look at both sides if you are going to claim something as fact

Sorry Bro....those cars are set up for the rear to break right under throttle to initiate a left hand turn.....

Sorry Bro....those cars are set up for the rear to break right under throttle to initiate a left hand turn.....

I urge you to read the article Jack posted....

No vehicle is set up to break right under throttle to initiate a left turn... Think about what you just said....

Because like everyone else, I wasn't there... I have read and watched basically the same stuff that everyone else has. I'm not saying he did or didn't accelerate, but I'm suggesting that what people heard, may not be what they thought it was.... And if he did accelerate, I'm offering an explanation as to why he might have...

For all I know Tony could have tracked the kid down and tried to pull his "punk card", no one knows...

I hope none of my statements came off as me trying to push facts off.... It just gets old seeing comments of people claiming that "this" or "that" are the only possible reasons for doing "a, b, c..." When they don't have all the information....

What gets old is others mischaracterizing the posts of some. Who are all of these posters who claim that their explanation of events is the only one possible? The only ones who come close are those that adamantly refuse to allow that what some of us are posting is conceivable.

And again, I don't know how you can credibly claim that engine rev is not Stewart's after watching the video. It seems you would have to really go out of your way to make that conclusion. Also, I don't think you need to be an expert driver of these cars to conclude what you see and hear in that segment. Perhaps that is our fundamental difference. We can agree that there are expert opinions as to how these cars handle, repsond, etc., but I don't see how you need an expert to tell you what you just saw and heard.

Ironically, you lament that people aren't thinking for themselves, yet you want us to defer to someone else on this audio/visual sequence. Makes little sense...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Conceivability and likeliness are two different things.... It's conceivable that Tony wanted to run over the kid- but unlikely...

I'm not saying Tony didn't rev the engine, I'm just suggesting that the rev you hear isn't Tony's car... Sure, those cars are loud, but from where that video was shot, the rev was pretty loud to be Tony's... Not improssible...

To truly understand why a driver did one thing or another, I think you must first have a fundamental understanding of how the car works... If

You don't understand how the car works, you cannot draw a logical conclusion as to what happened or why a driver did something. Basically, what you saw and felt appeared one way, may actually be quite he opposite from reality... I'm not trying to go all matrix on anyone, but the steering, handling, accelerator go hand in hand- so while it may look like Tony was trying to intimidate or brush back or do whatever to that kid, it's every bit as likely, probably more likely, that one of two things happened:

1.) he never saw the kid due to the black fire suit and poor peripheral visibility

Or

2.) he was handling his car in an effort to miss him.

Does that make more sense?

What gets old is others mischaracterizing the posts of some. Who are all of these posters who claim that their explanation of events is the only one possible? The only ones who come close are those that adamantly refuse to allow that what some of us are posting is conceivable.

And again, I don't know how you can credibly claim that engine rev is not Stewart's after watching the video. It seems you would have to really go out of your way to make that conclusion. Also, I don't think you need to be an expert driver of these cars to conclude what you see and hear in that segment. Perhaps that is our fundamental difference. We can agree that there are expert opinions as to how these cars handle, repsond, etc., but I don't see how you need an expert to tell you what you just saw and heard.

Ironically, you lament that people aren't thinking for themselves, yet you want us to defer to someone else on this audio/visual sequence. Makes little sense...

its interesting, as my opinion has been generally swaying from maybe an initial morning after 55-45 that it happened as a result of TS flexing his muscle and an accident happening, to probably more like 80-20 that it was a totally innocent mishap.....

but i agree with you that the arguments made by many in the thread have been frustrating in their attempts to be totally open to any and all possibilities that could make it innocent and pointing at people that are leaving it open ended to TS possibly being wrong too as stubbornly stuck in crazy land and closed minded.

Conceivability and likeliness are two different things.... It's conceivable that Tony wanted to run over the kid- but unlikely...

I'm not trying to go all matrix on anyone, but the steering, handling, accelerator go hand in hand- so while it may look like Tony was trying to intimidate or brush back or do whatever to that kid, it's every bit as likely, probably more likely, that one of two things happened:

1.) he never saw the kid due to the black fire suit and poor peripheral visibility

Or

frankly, im not even sure its conceivable that he intended to do it. that would take some pretty bold jumps that we have no reason to even begin to make.

I would say the top 3 in no particular order would be 1) didnt see the guy 2) tried to make an evasive manuever 3) was being a jerk and didnt realize how close he was or quite how the car would react.

not having the experience in the cars and sight lines, handling, track conditions, and relying on commentary from those at the scene and drivers.... its hard to say the odds on each of the 3, but i think its fair to say the 3 are possible

PS- I'm not being pissy... I just want to accurately and effectively communicate my thoughts...

your fine cletus -- oddly, i just felt a bit bad for WEO on this one as i dont think hes trying to ruffle feathers or convey certainty either. just that he thinks its a real possibility.

frankly, im not even sure its conceivable that he intended to do it. that would take some pretty bold jumps that we have no reason to even begin to make.

I would say the top 3 in no particular order would be 1) didnt see the guy 2) tried to make an evasive manuever 3) was being a jerk and didnt realize how close he was or quite how the car would react.

not having the experience in the cars and sight lines, handling, track conditions, and relying on commentary from those at the scene and drivers.... its hard to say the odds on each of the 3, but i think its fair to say the 3 are possible

I concur- those are really the 3 best options for how this happened....

I just wish the kid stayed in his car and if he wanted a shot at Tony, do it after the race

Make your own assumptions about my post....what do you think happened?

Well I think a terrible accident occurred. A misguided driver, either angry or delirious, stumbled around on a racetrack and the likely outcome occurred---he was hit.

There are many things I could guess from watching that video (which I have watched too make times and hope to never see again). The most likely being:

He was lucky for awhile that he didn't get hit sooner. His stumbling and some luck saved him for awhile.

By the time TS realized what the heck was happening he reacted and, unfortunately, hit Ward on the track.

Less likely (but certainly possible I suppose):

Ward suffered a blow to his head in the crash and didn't realize what he was doing.

Ward was drunk, or under the influence of something.

Ward committed suicide by race care driver.

Stewart purposefully hit him, or hit him in the attempt to scare him (brush him back).

I find all of those speculations pretty tasteless (with the exception of Ward suffering a blow to his head). I'd be appalled if anyone accused Ward of committing suicide with no evidence other than his senseless bouncing around on a racetrack. And I certainly find wild speculation about Stewart's motives equally tasteless/appalling in light of of the very incomplete information we see on the video.

My thoughts are that the kid should have never put himself in a position to be hit, he clearly was putting himself out there right to the edge. Having said that, my feelings are that Tony Stewart saw the kid, thought to himself "Look at this punk coming out trying to show me up", and I don't believe Stewart swerved into him or for that matter even purposely thought that he'd hit him as squarely as he did, but that he also didn't have any intentions of attempting to avoid him and thought that he'd go right up on him and brush him back.

I think it was sort of a game of chicken, and neither side conceded ground.

its interesting, as my opinion has been generally swaying from maybe an initial morning after 55-45 that it happened as a result of TS flexing his muscle and an accident happening, to probably more like 80-20 that it was a totally innocent mishap.....

but i agree with you that the arguments made by many in the thread have been frustrating in their attempts to be totally open to any and all possibilities that could make it innocent and pointing at people that are leaving it open ended to TS possibly being wrong too as stubbornly stuck in crazy land and closed minded.

It is funny how things can be interpreted.

I am not a racing fan I could give a crap one way or another about Tony Stewart and feel terrible for the 20 year old and his family. I had no desire or expectation that I would post in this thread but I did because I my reading of it was 180 degrees out of phase with what you stated above. It seemed to me and still does, that junior detectives have gone out of their was to figure out how to impugn Stewart. Those defending him, some not all of them, have taken time to describe in detail how these cars work and they have cited sources. Those refuting these claims have made comparisons to regular cars on regular roads which is completely irrelevant. After several posts that were either meant to be incendiary or were poorly written, they start saying stuff like "I'm only saying it is plausible". If so, do a better job of writing. Saying "that guy is a jerk" or "I don't like that guy" is one thing, but implying he would do something incredibly irresponsible that would result in the death of another person is something else altogether. AJ is correct when he laments the name calling in this thread but IMO he is wrong about the victims of this name calling. Stewart and the deceased have both been called more unjustified names in here than any one of the posters.

If Stewart tried to scare the kid with a last minute rev, it was HIGHLY irresponsible. Although he has certainly had incidents in the past....I'm not a racing fan and I even knew about some of them.....I don't recall any where he even toyed with running his CAR at a PERSON but people are either claiming he did or backing off saying it was "plausible" that he did. Why is it plausible? Has he done anything remotely similar; ever? Keep in mind one of these geniuses talking about which particular charges might/should be brought against Stewart is the same genius who thought Jerry Sandusky was getting railroaded and that the kids were in it for the money. Pardon me if I take his opinions with a mine of salt.

You want to know why you sometimes sound well uneducated in motor racing. First because you appear to know nothing.

here's just one reason since you mention this in almost all of tour posts

There is a huge difference in "revving" and " accelerating" which was Stewart doing when he came on the moron on

A racetrack? Would what he did be construed as an evasive maneuver by professionals or even casual fans in dirt track racing in mud?

I'm not saying Tony didn't rev the engine, I'm just suggesting that the rev you hear isn't Tony's car... Sure, those cars are loud, but from where that video was shot, the rev was pretty loud to be Tony's... Not improssible...

To truly understand why a driver did one thing or another, I think you must first have a fundamental understanding of how the car works... If

You don't understand how the car works, you cannot draw a logical conclusion as to what happened or why a driver did something. Basically, what you saw and felt appeared one way, may actually be quite he opposite from reality... I'm not trying to go all matrix on anyone, but the steering, handling, accelerator go hand in hand- so while it may look like Tony was trying to intimidate or brush back or do whatever to that kid, it's every bit as likely, probably more likely, that one of two things happened:

Or

Again, I don't know anyone who has claimed Stewart was trying to run the kid over. This comment is one of many straw men that you and others keep propping up and knocking down. You aren't making a case here.

Also, if I was to bet on it I'm pretty sure that Stewart did not claim he didn't see the kid. That would render any evasive action defense impossible.

You want to know why you sometimes sound well uneducated in motor racing. First because you appear to know nothing.

here's just one reason since you mention this in almost all of tour posts

There is a huge difference in "revving" and " accelerating" which was Stewart doing when he came on the moron on

A racetrack? Would what he did be construed as an evasive maneuver by professionals or even casual fans in dirt track racing in mud?

If you prefer, the sound of an engine "revving" up (I think we can all identify that sound without a couple of races under our belts) in the video coincides with the image of Stewarts car accelerating at the time of impact.

As for your question I bolded, that is obviously what the DA hasn't decided yet and why there is still an investigation ongoing 3 days later. If things were as simple and straighforward as you and others want us to believe, they would have wrapped this up and closed the case by now.