Tony Stewart hits, kills Kevin Ward,Jr. at Canandaigua Motorsports Par

YoloinOhio

Ontario county Sheriff said Tony stewart cooperative during questioning. No criminal investigation ongoing.

Information forwarded to Ontario County DA.

Source WCYB

Question. Under caution in the dark of night and a person walking towards car on a racetrack wearing black What is your guess of the speed of "going slow" in sprint car racing?

I would estimate between 30 and 35 MPH.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would estimate between 30 and 35 MPH.

I thing it is higher. here's some unconfirmed info from the accident.

A portion of the field had not even reacted to the single yellow flag (caution)

The pace car had not yet made it onto the track.

Stewart under caution and some guesses were the field was running at around 50MPH

i am nor defending him, but to understand sprint cars I think DV Tom explains it pretty well upthread.

Seeing, a man at 50MPH running at you can cause different reactions. One would be FU and spray him.

Another could be stunned and reacting. Kind of the split second decision someone has to make when a deer is crossing your path

At that speed.

My guess is Stewarts Go Pro camera onboard tells a lot of what happened and might explain his acceleration

And the action he took. All sorts of crazy rumors flew around last night. Including he pitted and had his crew remove

The right rear tire. Most of them are BS. But both cars have been impounded.

How can it ever be proven that he was trying to scare the kid? Unless, he said he was.

If the expert conclusion is that by accelerating just before contact, that Stewart was not performing an evasive maneuver, the only other explanation is that Stewart was "brushing back" the kid.

Stewart under caution and some guesses were the field was running at around 50MPH

See above. On his afternoon presser, the Sheriff said 3-35 mph.

i am nor defending him, but to understand sprint cars I think DV Tom explains it pretty well upthread.

Seeing, a man at 50MPH running at you can cause different reactions. One would be FU and spray him.

Another could be stunned and reacting. Kind of the split second decision someone has to make when a deer is crossing your path

At that speed.

My guess is Stewarts Go Pro camera onboard tells a lot of what happened and might explain his acceleration

And the action he took. All sorts of crazy rumors flew around last night. Including he pitted and had his crew remove

The right rear tire. Most of them are BS. But both cars have been impounded.

Tony Stewart is the only person that knows exactly what he was thinking and how it happened. He does have a well documented history of being hot-headed and confrontational. I was just surprised to see that in a 3 page thread WEO seemed to be the only person that shared my take on the incident.

Tony Stewart is the only person that knows exactly what he was thinking and how it happened. He does have a well documented history of being hot-headed and confrontational. I was just surprised to see that in a 3 page thread WEO seemed to be the only person that shared my take on the incident.

Can't argue that point. Stewart will be vilified and sponsors should be leaving by mid week.

Amazingly the same thing happened at Watkins Glenn last night without the tragic result. And the driver wasn't quite as out of control like Ward Jr. Was.The smarter

Way to make your point would have been after the race confront him and sucker punch him. seen that before.

The kid seemed a tad hot headed himself with that crazy action. Tragic but what was he thinking?

I think that's because some of us are going only off the evidence on the tape, and you and WEO are guessing what he was thinking, and factoring in his reputation. I hear an engine rev. Stewarts? Who knows? I can't see every car on the track. Does the soundtrack identify which car is which? I have no idea what Tony sees, or doesn't see. And that another driver managed to miss him means absolutely nothing. I think DC Tom as the steering explanation right (I'm clueless about these kinds if vehicles) and could have been accelerating to slide past him.

Huh? Its a race track, even under caution. All he has to say is: "I didn't see him."

Of course he will say whatever he wants. His onboard camera will help us know if that is true. The fact that he accelerated is not likely coincidental...

I think that's because some of us are going only off the evidence on the tape, and you and WEO are guessing what he was thinking, and factoring in his reputation. I hear an engine rev. Stewarts? Who knows? I can't see every car on the track. Does the soundtrack identify which car is which? I have no idea what Tony sees, or doesn't see. And that another driver managed to miss him means absolutely nothing. I think DC Tom as the steering explanation right (I'm clueless about these kinds if vehicles) and could have been accelerating to slide past him.

If you watch the video, I don't think you will conclude it was some other remote car accelerating just as Stewart fishtails into this kid.

Don't get me wrong, this kid was foolish to walk into traffic.

I like how "brushing back" has now become a term associated with racing.

This thread has gotten out of hand with the accusations by guys that even though have never driven a race car on dirt, or probably even follow racing in general

Really? "Out of hand". Please...I think the public is free to comment on what they see before them. Also, I know people who were present at the track and the immediate buzz was that Stewart swerved towards the kid.

Of course he will say whatever he wants. His onboard camera will help us know if that is true.

I'm confused. Are the drivers looking at a monitor showing what the camera sees? If that's the case I think you are correct. Otherwise what the camera shows and what he SAW could be two very different things.

This thread has gotten ridiculous.

And I just upped the ante.

Edited by The Dean

This thread has gotten ridiculous.

And to make it more... Chara jams Max P... If he killed him? Would the same people wanting Stewarts head be saying the same thing?

It's all in the game. This kid was totally wrong because he did NOT belong where he was, end of story... He had no right @ all to be there.

His onboard cam is BS to an extent... It will never tell the whole story. Why do courts still use reporters if they have cameras... ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I share your viewpoint, as well. I've been researching this since last night and it's apparently very common for drivers to exit their vehicle and walk out on the track after crashing, especially once the yellow flag comes out. It also appears that one of the rules when they are under yellow is that they are not allowed to accelerate. Further, two of the eyewitnesses who were situated near that turn and stated they saw everything - at least one of which was a fellow racer - stated that there's no way Stewart didn't see him, and that while Tony likely never meant to intentionally harm the kid, he clearly gunned his engine and attepted to scare him, and in this case things went terribly wrong and Ward ended up killed. The driver (Graves is his last name, I believe) also said that he feels Stewart should end up in jail.

I watched the video before I knew he had passed and before I knew any of the details from witnesses, and the first thing I tweeted was how he clearly accelerated once the kid was near his vehicle.

I'm confused. Are the drivers looking at a monitor showing what the camera sees? If that's the case I think you are correct. Otherwise what the camera shows and what he SAW could be two very different things.

And I just upped the ante.

Perhaps. But i assume the camera and his vision were pointing in a similar direction. He saw the car go off the track. He saw the car in front of him swerve towards the infield. Still didn't see him? I suppose it's possible. He has already told the cops whether or not he saw him..

Have you watched the video? Just curious.

Perhaps. But i assume the camera and his vision were pointing in a similar direction. He saw the car go off the track. He saw the car in front of him swerve towards the infield. Still didn't see him? I suppose it's possible. He has already told the cops whether or not he saw him..

Have you watched the video? Just curious.

I've watched the video too many times (hard to take really). I think TS might have seen him too late, and then took evasive action. I mean, you simply don't expect a guy to be weaving on foot on a track among cars. Even if he saw him right away, it might take a minute to react. These drivers have good reactions, but this is a bizarre situation.

You think he saw him early and, perhaps, tried to scare him.

It's a tragedy for sure, but without knowing what he was thinking and why he accelerated, it's tough to say he is at fault. Drunk-walking on a racetrack is a foolish thing to do.

If Stewart says he didn't see him, the entire discussion of the peculiar physics of dirt track cars is meaningless.

I'm betting he admitting he saw him. He accelerated before contact while the driver in front of him was able to avoid contact. He would need the experts who review this for the Sheriff's Dept to conclude that he did exactly what he should have in this circumstance.

Edited by Mr. WEO

If Stewart says he didn't see him, the entire discussion of the peculiar physics of dirt track cars is meaningless.

I'm betting he admitting he saw him. He accelerated before contact while the driver in front of him was able to avoid contact. He would need the experts who review this for the Sheriff's Dept to conclude that he did exactly what he should have in this circumstance.

That sounds about right. And when I say, didn't see him, I mean see him in time to slow down to avoid him. I think he might not have seen him right away, not that he didn't see him at all. I mean, when he hit him I'm guessing he saw him.

What's also odd is that 5 cars were able to avoid hitting this man who was in the middle of the track like he was hailing a cab. Stewart was the 6th one to encounter him once he ventured into traffic, and the only one to accelerate instead of staying on the inside and slowing down.

What's also odd is that 5 cars were able to avoid hitting this man who was in the middle of the track like he was hailing a cab. Stewart was the 6th one to encounter him once he ventured into traffic, and the only one to accelerate instead of staying on the inside and slowing down.

That why I said "didn't see him". I think he may not have seen him when the others did. It certainly looks as though that could be the case. I would assume that over a purposeful attack, with no better evidence.