Tony Stewart hits, kills Kevin Ward,Jr. at Canandaigua Motorsports Par

YoloinOhio

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too make light of this tragedy but perhaps Smoke should give up dirt track racing

I think he will at least be suspended and after watching the video, I wonder if he will face a manslaughter charge, he is clearly accelerating.

haven't seen the video on this. but, a similar incident without the tragedy happened at Watkins Glen yesterday.

Driver out of the car after forced into the wall. Pointing fingers when the "accused" came around on the caution lap. if this is now common behavior I would guess it will be reviewed

Pronto.

F1 is so much more fun to watch.

I think he will at least be suspended and after watching the video, I wonder if he will face a manslaughter charge, he is clearly accelerating.

He was clearly accelerating? In a race? Yes, clearly odd behavior worthy of further investigation.

I can't bring myself to watch the actual video. But surprised he is going to go ahead and race today.

Good call... I saw it and it was painful to watch. Hindsight is 20/20 but the dude should have stayed strapped into his car till the race was flagged. RIP, but man... That guy was a Darwin winner.

By the time he saw the kid, his only option was likely to hit the gas and try to throw the back end as far away from him as possible. Since these cars are designed with weight positioned for the rear to kick to the right, the only way it's kicking left (which Stewart's did just a bit) is hitting the gas and hoping.

This is a tragic event all around. For all intents and purposes, Kevin Ward looks to have been a very talented young man. He was 4th in the Empire Super Sprints standings heading into last night's event. But his temper got the best of him, and he put himself in harm's way by running down the track like that. If the driver of the #14 were just another driver on the ESS series, it would be nothing but a sad accident. I wish the best for the kid's parents, family and friends at this time, its got to be a terrible place to be in right now.

Edited by JM57

I think that's an overreaction based on the grainy video and report that I saw.

I do think that this quote is unfortunate:

Stewart's racing team manager Greg Zipadelli said Stewart will race in NASCAR's event Sunday at Watkins Glen, calling the race "business as usual."
I don't care whether he drives today or not, it's his job, but, the business as usual quote rubs the wrong way.

He was clearly accelerating? In a race? Yes, clearly odd behavior worthy of further investigation.

During a yellow flag, it could be poor form. I'm no expert but I've heard speculation ranging from him trying to avoid the guy, to him trying to send an "eff you" to him and misjudging the situation and hitting him in the process.

I imagine the go pro camera on board will go a long way in determining whether there will be charges.

As an aside, ESPN crawl says, "Tire on a car driven by Tony Stewart kills a driver"

Wonder if the crawl would say the same thing if Stewart accidentally shot the guy with a shotgun.

During a yellow flag, it could be poor form. I'm no expert but I've heard speculation ranging from him trying to avoid the guy, to him trying to send an "eff you" to him and misjudging the situation and hitting him in the process.

I imagine the go pro camera on board will go a long way in determining whether there will be charges.

The guy in front of Stewart was able to avoid this kid without accelerating. Stewart could clearly be heard to accelerate as he approached the kid. His car immediately fishtailed and hit him.

Horrible tragedy for the family, but the kid had to be out of his mind. And Stewart is screwed. Looks like he was trying to scare the kid or come close to him. It looks deliberate (not that he wanted to clip the kid, but that he wanted to give him a "brush back").

Stewart racing at the Glenn proves he's a total a-hole.

Hes racing again tonight which is weird , if I were in his shoes I'd be in no mental state to do this the day after

i agree. This is a very poor decision IMO. Doesn't he have a business manager/agent/pr person that would tell him this? Am I way off base? Seems very odd.

The guy in front of Stewart was able to avoid this kid without accelerating. Stewart could clearly be heard to accelerate as he approached the kid. His car immediately fishtailed and hit him.

Horrible tragedy for the family, but the kid had to be out of his mind. And Stewart is screwed. Looks like he was trying to scare the kid or come close to him. It looks deliberate (not that he wanted to clip the kid, but that he wanted to give him a "brush back").

Stewart racing at the Glenn proves he's a total a-hole.

That's probably pretty close to my current take but keeping it softened a little until more comes out. As I said, I'm no expert but it looked like two tempers resulting in a terrible misjudgment. The espn commentator this morning seemed to be dancing around that conclusion without wanting to point fingers.

i agree. This is a very poor decision IMO. Doesn't he have a business manager/agent/pr person that would tell him this? Am I way off base? Seems very odd.

If I were one of his sponsors I wouldn't want my logo out there today.

it appears from my pov that the first car was blocking Stewart's view of the guy then all of a sudden Stewart sees him and, like someone pointed out, perhaps accelerated to attempt an evasion maneuver of fishtailing to try and lessen the impact of the inevitable. Point remains the victim had ZERO business running around on the track like he did

That's probably pretty close to my current take but keeping it softened a little until more comes out. As I said, I'm no expert but it looked like two tempers resulting in a terrible misjudgment. The espn commentator this morning seemed to be dancing around that conclusion without wanting to point fingers.

If I were one of his sponsors I wouldn't want my logo out there today.

just saw the video...wtf was that guy doing walking around the track that way....holy crap, it appears Tony Stewart couldn't avoid him

He was trying to "confront" Stewart... From what I picked-up gathered. WTF... Is this where this road rage crap starts? Are people so desensitized to their surrounding they forget about safety?