Tony Stewart hits, kills Kevin Ward,Jr. at Canandaigua Motorsports Par

YoloinOhio

it appears from my pov that the first car was blocking Stewart's view of the guy then all of a sudden Stewart sees him and, like someone pointed out, perhaps accelerated to attempt an evasion maneuver of fishtailing to try and lessen the impact of the inevitable. Point remains the victim had ZERO business running around on the track like he did

I agree that the guy running down the track had his hand in making the situation dangerous. Won't argue against that at all.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact Stewarts manager actually said the "race is critical for his championship chances" may be the worst PR statement ever.only second to his "business as usual" comment.

EDIT: Sounds like he just decided not to race

Edited by YoloinOhio

The fact Stewarts manager actually said the "race is critical for his championship chances" may be the worst PR statement ever.only second to his "business as usual" comment.

I'm guessing enough people have finally gotten to him this morning telling him he couldn't. I haven't heard anyone say "yea good call!" to the early rumors he would race.

The right decision made for the wrong reason (backlash). I hope that he isn't praised in racing circles for this "decision."

I still think there may be charges...

Obviously it is tragic for this kid.

he was a professional driver who obviously right or wrong felt slighted by Stewart.

getting out on a track caution flag or not, at night, in a black suit, is well something

One simply does not do. getting in his face, throw punches at the end of the race fine.

I watched this several times, I cannot see what he would be charged with? Unless you

Are speaking of sanctions. But criminal charges? based on what? The guy broke rules

Getting out of his car. if that was legal there would deaths every single year. Simply

A boneheaded move by a driver with a out of control temper.

If anyone thinks for a second tony frigging Stewart would do this on purpose. Good luck proving

That. It's a tragedy for all involved especially Ward jr.

Obviously it is tragic for this kid.

he was a professional driver who obviously right or wrong felt slighted by Stewart.

getting out on a track caution flag or not, at night, in a black suit, is well something

One simply does not do. getting in his face, throw punches at the end of the race fine.

I watched this several times, I cannot see what he would be charged with? Unless you

Are speaking of sanctions. But criminal charges? based on what? The guy broke rules

Getting out of his car. if that was legal there would deaths every single year. Simply

A boneheaded move by a driver with a out of control temper.

If anyone thinks for a second tony frigging Stewart would do this on purpose. Good luck proving

That. It's a tragedy for all involved especially Ward jr.

I don't think Weo is saying that he hit him on purpose, but if it was scaring the kid gone wrong - then there are certainly argument to be made that he was reckless/negligent IF that's what happened.

I agree that the guy running down the track had his hand in making the situation dangerous. Won't argue against that at all.

It really is a sad tragedy, I used to be a mechanic who worked and painted on a lot of modifies out at Lancaster ( I practicality built my nephews, frame up), guys get mad and do stupid things. I understand the clay circuit and the way gunning it might have been a reaction to miss the kid but both used really bad judgement. I don't like Stewart, dirty driver in the first place....makes it more suspicious IMO. You can easily kill someone on a racetrack, even with the safety measures. It was totally boneheaded to get out of his car in any case. RIP and condolences to his family and friends. It would certainly be a bad politicians (DA) ticket to higher office to bring charges and succeed at a Manslaughter charge, so it wouldn't surprise me if that happens (just to clarify my earlier post).

I don't think Weo is saying that he hit him on purpose, but if it was scaring the kid gone wrong - then there are certainly argument to be made that he was reckless/negligent IF that's what happened.

If he "gunned it" to try to scare him and things "just went wrong," then Stewart is responsible. If he gunned it to try to avoid him (if Stewart didn't have the worst temper on earth, I might buy this; but he does have the worst temper on earth), that's a different story.

The fact that the kid got out of the car and put himself in harm's way was stupid ... we can all agree on that. But that doesn't necessarily clear Stewart of wrongdoing altogether.

The guy in front of Stewart was able to avoid this kid without accelerating. Stewart could clearly be heard to accelerate as he approached the kid. His car immediately fishtailed and hit him.

Horrible tragedy for the family, but the kid had to be out of his mind. And Stewart is screwed. Looks like he was trying to scare the kid or come close to him. It looks deliberate (not that he wanted to clip the kid, but that he wanted to give him a "brush back").

Stewart racing at the Glenn proves he's a total a-hole.

WTF? So the first guy saw him, so Stewart must have seen him, too? That's poor reasoning at its sloppiest.

It is a tragedy though. And Stewart is likely in for a suspension and some legal action. But it would be hard to prove this was intentional and even harder to believe it.

As I was watching it, I couldn't believe he was staggering across the track. I've seen guys get out of the car (probably not the smartest move) but not weaving around between cars.

Simple as this: You don't get out of your vehicle and start walking. Don't they tell you that on your NYS Thruway toll ticket. But, this is an EZ-Pass generation I suppose. Speak of the devil, this was even NYS, Finger Lakes....

Even driving go-karts, they say: "stay in/with your vehicle." I learned that when I was 9. Of course within reason, its flipped and blowing up, run! Well, not if you are on fire, stop drop and roll.

Kid was wrong, he'd still be alive today if he didn't make a bad choice. Doesn't matter what Tony Stweart does... He's there to race and gun it!

WTF? So the first guy saw him, so Stewart must have seen him, too? That's poor reasoning at its sloppiest.

It is a tragedy though. And Stewart is likely in for a suspension and some legal action. But it would be hard to prove this was intentional and even harder to believe it.

As I was watching it, I couldn't believe he was staggering across the track. I've seen guys get out of the car (probably not the smartest move) but not weaving around between cars.

Of course... It deserves a civil action. Interesting how it will play out, the lawsuit that is? It was during the course of a sport. Can a football (other games/sports) player get injured and start a civil case against the person, team that injured him?

Anyway, I guess there really is only three "sports." Mountain climbing, bullfighting, and motor racing. The rest are games.

Simple as this: You don't get out of your vehicle and start walking. Don't they tell you that on your NYS Thruway toll ticket. But, this is an EZ-Pass generation I suppose. Speak of the devil, this was even NYS, Finger Lakes....

Even driving go-karts, they say: "stay in/with your vehicle." I learned that when I was 9. Of course within reason, its flipped and blowing up, run! Well, not if you are on fire, stop drop and roll.

Kid was wrong, he'd still be alive today if he didn't make a bad choice. Doesn't matter what Tony Stweart does... He's there to race and gun it!

So let's say there's a shooting competition at a shooting range.

Someone "not all there" goes running out into the shooting range, near the targets.

Would you ...

a) Expect the shooters to stop shooting their guns because there would be a good chance they could accidentally shoot the person who foolishly entered the range.

b) Expect the shooters to keep trying to hit their targets, because after all, it's "what they do." They're there to shoot their guns, dammit!

So let's say there's a shooting competition at a shooting range.

Someone "not all there" goes running out into the shooting range, near the targets.

Would you ...

a) Expect the shooters to stop shooting their guns because there would be a good chance they could accidentally shoot the person who foolishly entered the range.

b) Expect the shooters to keep trying to hit their targets, because after all, it's "what they do." They're there to shoot their guns, dammit!

Good point. Blast his azz!

This is going to be an interesting thread... Do you feel the need for speed! Like the dude flipping off the chick and his rig in FLA... ;-P ;-P

Of course... It deserves a civil action. Interesting how it will play out, the lawsuit that is? It was during the course of a sport. Can a football (other games/sports) player get injured and start a civil case against the person, team that injured him?

Anyway, I guess there really is only three "sports." Mountain climbing, bullfighting, and motor racing. The rest are games.

That was high level disjointed rambling even for you EII!

Tony Stewart didn't want to hit him or kill him... It was friendly fire/collateral damage. End of story.

Too much cost and burden if all kinds of rules are created.

That was high level disjointed rambling even for you EII!

It comes full circle with my last post. How was that one?

Bury the kid and be done with it, learn from it. Simple.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois