Round 2 : Sale of the team

Jaws took a position against the family (Buffalo) and will long be remembered for doing that. Doesn't make him a bad analyst, just makes him a bad friend of the city and community.

He did not. But I can understand why some might interpret that way.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who else deserves an atta boy? Russ Brandon and Jeffrey Littman. Start listening at the 4 minute mark:

http://audio.wgr550....-poloncarz.htm?

Any guesses which owners were against the non-relocation clause? I know this will kill some people who think Brandon is pure evil, but if this is true he did as much to save the Bills as anyone.

Correct, I thought the same thing when I heard Poloncarz.

Jaws tried to convince Bills fans that JBJ and his backers had no interest in ever moving the team to Toronto, he used the word "never". Jaws pimped himself out to be his friend's mouthpiece. He's still a good analyst and I'll watch him, but he's lost most of my respect.

He did not. But I can understand why some might interpret that way.

He did

Jaws tried to convince Bills fans that JBJ and his backers had no interest in ever moving the team to Toronto, he used the word "never". Jaws pimped himself out to be his friend's mouthpiece. He's still a good analyst and I'll watch him, but he's lost most of my respect.

Exactly +10000

He did

Exactly +10000

I don't recall Jaws ever addressing the intention of Bon Jovi's partners. Do you have a quote?

I don't recall Jaws ever addressing the intention of Bon Jovi's partners. Do you have a quote?

That's the type of double talk I would expect out of Jaws. Well "technically" he wasn't the one that wanted to move the team.

Bon Jovi partnering with guys whose only intentions are to get a team for Toronto makes him just as bad as them.

Edited by kdiggz

That's the type of double talk I would expect out of Jaws. Well "technically" he wasn't the one that wanted to move the team.

Bon Jovi partnering with guys whose only intentions are to get a team for Toronto makes him just as bad as them.

Wait a second here. You just + 1,000 a post (btw one can only + 1, anyting else is foolish) that claimed "Jaws tried to convince Bills fans that JBJ and his backers had no interest in ever moving the team to Toronto". Certainly you can do better than that for a response, no?

It's fairly obvious (to me, anyway) Jaws was speaking specifically to JBJ's intentions. The guys are friends and I suppose talk quite frequently. They co-owned a team. He was commenting that JBJ had never mentioned moving the team. I'm guessing that is true. It is clear he never mentioned it publically. Jaws believes his friend has integrity.

Despite the fact that I don't like JBJ (not because of his attempt to by the Bills but because he is a terrible singer on a horrible rock band) I suppose he may be a man of basic integrity. (I honestly have no idea one way or the other, but he seems to be generally held in high regard outside of Buffalo.)

At worst, Jaws was a rube. He didn't give proper consideration to the fact that JBJ has powerful partners from TO who have previously expressed interest in moving the team to that city. I simply can't believe he was throwing Buffalo under the bus and operating as a co-conspirator to the TO group. I'm just not buying that.

Wait a second here. You just + 1,000 a post (btw one can only + 1, anyting else is foolish) that claimed "Jaws tried to convince Bills fans that JBJ and his backers had no interest in ever moving the team to Toronto". Certainly you can do better than that for a response, no?

It's fairly obvious (to me, anyway) Jaws was speaking specifically to JBJ's intentions. The guys are friends and I suppose talk quite frequently. They co-owned a team. He was commenting that JBJ had never mentioned moving the team. I'm guessing that is true. It is clear he never mentioned it publically. Jaws believes his friend has integrity.

Despite the fact that I don't like JBJ (not because of his attempt to by the Bills but because he is a terrible singer on a horrible rock band) I suppose he may be a man of basic integrity. (I honestly have no idea one way or the other, but he seems to be generally held in high regard outside of Buffalo.)

At worst, Jaws was a rube. He didn't give proper consideration to the fact that JBJ has powerful partners from TO who have previously expressed interest in moving the team to that city. I simply can't believe he was throwing Buffalo under the bus and operating as a co-conspirator to the TO group. I'm just not buying that.

We blame Jaws. He should have known better

Just trying to help.

Appreciated. But that just shows he was only talking about BJB. There is nothing there about his partners. I thought maybe there was a quote somewhere where he actually addressed that.

For a second there I thought you said "We blame Jews" and I was gonna have to go all Landon Cohen on you.

:lol:

I notice the same thing every time I read the comment. I was wondering if Mel Gibson had joined the forum.

Appreciated. But that just shows he was only talking about BJB. There is nothing there about his partners. I thought maybe there was a quote somewhere where he actually addressed that.

I really don't think there is any discussion of JBJ as it relates to the Bills without including his potential partners. To say "JBJ" in regards to the Bills is to mean "JBJ and his partners." Do you think that JBJ would have (hypothetically) opened an email from the partners and suddenly been informed that the team was moving to Toronto? Either the group was planning on moving to TO all along, or Jaws was telling the truth about JBJ and his partners. Jaws was essentially saying that JBJ would never enter into a partnership that would result in the BIlls moving to TO. IMO, of course.

kj

I really don't think there is any discussion of JBJ as it relates to the Bills without including his potential partners. To say "JBJ" in regards to the Bills is to mean "JBJ and his partners." Do you think that JBJ would have (hypothetically) opened an email from the partners and suddenly been informed that the team was moving to Toronto? Either the group was planning on moving to TO all along, or Jaws was telling the truth about JBJ and his partners. Jaws was essentially saying that JBJ would never enter into a partnership that would result in the BIlls moving to TO. IMO, of course.

kj

Well I can see how one might think that. But JBJ is the lead on this, whatever we might believe about his partners. It's entirely possible (and I happen to think it is likely) that Jaws believed JBJ when he said he believed he could make this thing work in Buffalo. After all, Jaws has always been a strong supporter of Buffalo. To think that Jaws was purposefully duplicative on this is unfathomable to me. He never mentioned the partners, to my knowledge. He specifically spoke to JBJ's credibility. I wish the interviewer would have brought the topic up and then we'd have something more substantial to go on. But by all means, believe whatever you want.

BTW, I'd like to add this. In the very unlikely event the JBJ group wins the bid (I'd be more than shocked if that happens) as Bill fans we'd be stupid to be anything but supportive. That's simply playing into the TO group's hands. It would make it easy for them to move the team (OK, easier). We should make it as hard as possible for them to justify a move.

Edited by The Dean

Someone on the billsboard named JamalAnderson or something made a really good point. It doesn't change anything but just a keen observation.

Could you imagine the abuse for being a scumbag and traitor and loser that John Kryk would be getting on this board and in the city if he were a local Buffalo sportswriter and writing all those doomsday reports about a Bills sale in the Buffalo News?

Someone on the billsboard named JamalAnderson or something made a really good point. It doesn't change anything but just a keen observation.

Could you imagine the abuse for being a scumbag and traitor and loser that John Kryk would be getting on this board and in the city if he were a local Buffalo sportswriter and writing all those doomsday reports about a Bills sale in the Buffalo News?

No doubt Dog.

I wouldn't hate it that much, if that weavel didn't act so shocked at how anyone could possibly think that bon jovi would move the team. We aren't as dumb as those people in new jersey and philadelphia, jaws.

There was a fair way to address that without exaggeration and lying, and he chose the path that rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by May Day 10

http://bills.buffalo...t-going-happen/

Any more questions about the Bills being moved should be put to rest.

http://profootballta...s-angeles-memo/

The league has been telling teams not to make plans to move to LA. I'm guessing the NFL is gearing up for expansion soon, especially with all the talk of teams being in LA and London within a couple years. Expansion teams would make the league far more money than moving a team.

Edited by Fingon

I initially thought the same, but I've vome to believe that most people in Toronto who care even slightly about the issue tend to support the underdog (Buffalo) in this battle. I think Kryk's views are probably representative of the majority there. And I also think that there's little love for Rogers and Tannenbaum there.

I just can't fathom why JBJ would want to own a team in which 99% of the fans already hate the idea of him being an owner UNLESS he planned on skipping town. Makes no sense to me.

I think he would definitely plan to eventually move the team to Toronto should he win the bid. His thoughts are probably that should someone else get the team, and turn them into a winner. Then there will be less desire all around to have another NFL Team so close. So, there goes his group with MLSE.

"Educated source once involved in Bills sales process says team is "Pegula's to lose" and Bon Jovi group is "unfocused and disorganized." https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/terry-pegula-favorite-to-buy-buffalo-bills--bon-jovi-group-looks-disorganized-123809993.html

I'm just glad he is showing how inept he is in the process of buying an NFL team.

http://profootballta...s-angeles-memo/

The league has been telling teams not to make plans to move to LA. I'm guessing the NFL is gearing up for expansion soon, especially with all the talk of teams being in LA and London within a couple years. Expansion teams would make the league far more money than moving a team.

I don't see them expanding in LA. Just to move the team in 5+ years. First I assume dilute the TV revenues. Not something greedy bastards, like Jarrah, and Kraft, etc. would buy into. second and as important. the league cannot even scratch up 32 guys on the planet capable of playing QB. How would they find 34?

I initially thought the same, but I've vome to believe that most people in Toronto who care even slightly about the issue tend to support the underdog (Buffalo) in this battle. I think Kryk's views are probably representative of the majority there. And I also think that there's little love for Rogers and Tannenbaum there.

Not to mention the CFL fans who absolutely despise the idea of a NFL team in Toronto, a move that could easily spell doom for the CFL.

I don't see them expanding in LA. Just to move the team in 5+ years. First I assume dilute the TV revenues. Not something greedy bastards, like Jarrah, and Kraft, etc. would buy into. second and as important. the league cannot even scratch up 32 guys on the planet capable of playing QB. How would they find 34?

Because they can sell each franchise for $2 billion and that means each owner gets a $125 million check. That's like four years of profits for a small market team. They can charge maybe $500 million in relocation fees if a team moves to LA. Not to mention there would be increased viewership in LA and London which wouldn't water down the TV contracts too much.

Edited by Fingon

Because they can sell each franchise for $2 billion and that means each owner gets a $125 million check. That's like four years of profits for a small market team. They can charge maybe $500 million in relocation fees if a team moves to LA. Not to mention there would be increased viewership in LA and London which wouldn't water down the TV contracts too much.

Maybe the NFL doesn't want the embarrassment of 10,000 empty seats for most of the games like before in a huge market

When this is all over, there really needs to be some kind of public posthumous honoring of Mr. Wilson. As much as he was vilified during his lifetime, it's becoming more and more clear that he successfully used the restrictive lease and his trust to forge a long term future for the team in Buffalo. And notably, he did so knowing that it would come at a considerable cost to his estate.

Mr. Wilson is no less a hero than is the new owner (I'm hoping that's Pegula).

I agree with you and think the following two things need to happen: 1. A statue of Ralph at the Ralph and any other stadium that comes along and 2. The initials "RCW" made a permanent part of the uniforms. Personally, I love how the Bears' "GSH" looks on their sleeves, but anywhere on the jersey will do.

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 16h

Terry and Kim Pegula met with the Bills' trust and Morgan Stanley yesterday in Manhattan.

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 17h

The Bon Jovi group has to be rooting for the Bills sale to wrap up soon. They need to be put out of their misery.

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 17h

Seems like piling on, but source close to the Bon Jovi group tells me there's "major tension" within. Partners not getting along lately.
Edited by voodoo poonani

My final take on Jaws' comments, while I don't believe he mentioned JBJ's partners in his statement, it's irrelevant. The fact is that JBJ was not trying to buy the team by himself, he only had a shot at buying the team if he went in with his Toronto partners. So, for Jaws to say JBJ wouldn't move team, he is in essence speaking about JBJ's group, not just JBJ. To suggest otherwise, is ridiculous.

You know who else deserves an atta boy? Russ Brandon and Jeffrey Littman. Start listening at the 4 minute mark:

http://audio.wgr550....-poloncarz.htm?

Any guesses which owners were against the non-relocation clause? I know this will kill some people who think Brandon is pure evil, but if this is true he did as much to save the Bills as anyone.

I have maintained that Russ is one of the biggest assets to the team's efforts to stay in this area. His work over the past 20 months since he's been actively involved with the other owners has been a driving force in gaining the support of the NFL, who--as a few of us have said all along--does NOT want this team to move.

IMO, anyone that is a Bills fan owes Russ a gigantic debt of gratitude for the team staying in WNY.

My final take on Jaws' comments, while I don't believe he mentioned JBJ's partners in his statement, it's irrelevant.

Well it isn't. But you go ahead and continue to think so,. It doesn't matter.

^^ This is the correct take. To try to analyze JBJ's motives separately from those of his partners simply ignores the fact that most of the money put up by that partnership belongs to the "move" faction.

Agreed that you shouldn't. But of course you can do it. And this is about what Jaws said/thought. Not what the correct way is to analyze the TO group situation. There is a very good chance that JBJ thought he could pull this off in Buffalo, too. It's folly for us to believe it, to be sure, but people aren't always rational when it comes to their dreams---or their friends.

Jaws remarks were misguided and we was probably deluded. BJB may have been/may be as well. But I don't think that makes Jaws a willing co-conspirator in moving the Bills out of Buffalo.

But as I said, believe whatever you want. Join the feeding frenzy/lynch mob. Ignore the subtleties of thought and action and be absolutely sure you can know what someone is thinking. Let emotion drive your interpretations. I get it.

I think I've said all I have to say on the matter. So I'm moving on,

It wasn't a "few" dollars, it was a windfall -- and came at a time when the Bills were desperately trying to expand their market share. Brandon, to his credit, took the initiative to "temporarily" suspend the series this season. Keeping the Bills in Buffalo is the single most important thing anyone could do for this franchise, and Ralph/Russ have proven they were committed to that goal.

I don't think there is anyone who feels Russ "can do no wrong" but you have to give credit where credit is due.