New sale of team thread

I have to say, I don't detect the deep-seated hostility to the Bills from Tim Graham in this article that I've heard so much about.

This was one of his best articles (also on the heels of John Kryk's breaking news by the way). The problem with Tim sometimes is that he has seemed to want to be the contrarian. By and large, he is good. The other thing that I like about him is that he does not take the snark approach (as do Bucky, Sully, and Harrington) except on twitter. That stuff got old a long time ago. Edited by Peter

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why don't they freaking ask him and move forward. This is complete horse ****.

I apologize. I don't mean to rant. We all know there is a reason that the "Toronto group" is called the Toronto group. It is all a charade on their part.

Billion dollar transactions take time. Relax, the team isn't going anywhere

Billion dollar transactions take time. Relax, the team isn't going anywhere

I can see the finish line . . . I just want the race to be over so that we can all celebrate.

As I have posted before, the fans of every other team just have to worry about football things like won-loss records. Us Bills fans (for about the past 25 years) have had to worry about whether the team would stay in Buffalo and, more recently, the parsing and interpretation of non-relocation agreements in leases, non-disclosure agreements, trusts, testamentary intent, investment bank deadlines and soft deadlines . . . .

Edited by Peter

I can see the finish line . . . I just want the race to be over so that we can all celebrate.

As I have posted before, the fans of every other team just have to worry about football things like won-loss records. Us Bills fans (for about the past 25 years) have had to worry about whether the team would stay in Buffalo and, more recently, the parsing and interpretation of non-relocation agreements in leases, non-disclosure agreements, trusts, testamentary intent, investment bank deadlines and soft deadlines . . . .

Trust me, I'm right there with you in terms of just wanting the announcement, the shots and this whole thing to be over with.

Each day I am more and more assured that the team is staying and I can be a season ticket holder for a long time

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 3m

As Bon Jovi group continues to sputter, Pegulas pulling away in Bills race http://bills.buffalo...-race/ …

Again, another ignorant local media story that makes statements about the value of the team based on geography. It misses the point about the value in a cash vs. financing deal. If a bidder is borrowing money, they actually pay MORE than the final bid because of interest, just like any of us buying a house. So hypothetically, a $1B bid with interest financing might be the same as a bid of $1.3B with no financing. So in Tiny Tim's mind, TG would be overpaying when in reality, with interest, the actual prices are the same. That's what happens when sports scribes with no finance skills report on big business. But as I stated in a post above, the trust gets more cash in Pegula's bid whereas the bank gets money in the borrower's bid.

Stayin.

Did any Buffalo Sports Fan have any idea beyond our wildest imaginations of how this article would effect us?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2010-05-28-shell-buys-east-resources_N.htm

Nope. Because my wife is Dutch, I will take some of the credit. I am glad Dutch money has gone to good use - keeping the Sabres and Bills where they belong in BUFFALO!

Again, another ignorant local media story that makes statements about the value of the team based on geography. It misses the point about the value in a cash vs. financing deal. If a bidder is borrowing money, they actually pay MORE than the final bid because of interest, just like any of us buying a house. So hypothetically, a $1B bid with interest financing might be the same as a bid of $1.3B with no financing. So in Tiny Tim's mind, TG would be overpaying when in reality, with interest, the actual prices are the same. That's what happens when sports scribes with no finance skills report on big business. But as I stated in a post above, the trust gets more cash in Pegula's bid whereas the bank gets money in the borrower's bid.

Stayin.

Thought I read that only $200MM can be financed per league bylaws.

EDIT FOR CLARITY: Not taking exception to what you wrote about the cost of debt service, but given the relatively low amount allowed, your example doesn't happen and, all things being equal, the playing field is leveled a little in that regard.

Edited by Campy

Did any Buffalo Sports Fan have any idea beyond our wildest imaginations of how this article would effect us?

http://usatoday30.us...resources_N.htm

Terrence Pegula is one more large transaction away from being legendary sports royalty around here....not to mention singlehandedly redeveloping downtown Buffalo. 8-10 years ago when we were all lamenting the fate of the Bills when Ralph Wilson passes, no one ever heard of Pegula. Now he's about to own both of our beloved franchises in town and will pour money into them the likes of which we have never seen.

This was one of his best articles (also on the heels of John Kryk's breaking news by the way). The problem with Tim sometimes is that he has seemed to want to be the contrarian. By and large, he is good. The other thing that I like about him is that he does not take the snark approach (as do Bucky, Sully, and Harrington) except on twitter. That stuff got old a long time ago.

That's true. I forget that Graham is pretty good in the paper, because of his online snark.

If/when this goes through, we should all be thanking whatever we choose to believe in that Pegula fell into our laps.

No kidding. Without ever even having met Kim or Terry Pegula, I cannot imagine liking and being more grateful for anyone in my life other than family members and friends. I kid you not. That is how important Buffalo, the Bills, and the Sabres are to me.

Yeah but who besides Golisano would be interested given the apparent locality restrictions.

If I'm not from the area I'm not going to bother bidding on a team that is shackled to Buffalo. And if I did, my bid would be very low for the same reason.

Pegula could end up stealing the team for a very low price.

I would assume the reason for letting the JBJ group replace their bid with a non-relocation clause is a back stop so that TP doesn't offer less. The thing is ... if they all kept quiet about who pledge what, we could be done with the other process and the binding bid would be in with everyone not know what others had submitted.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if in the very near future TP tells "the Trust" im prepared to pay x amount, there will be no bs I will keep the team in Buffalo my offer ends on this date...And that ends the bidding....

I would assume the reason for letting the JBJ group replace their bid with a non-relocation clause is a back stop so that TP doesn't offer less. The thing is ... if they all kept quiet about who pledge what, we could be done with the other process and the binding bid would be in with everyone not know what others had submitted.

I agree, the leaks of the bid amounts (and all the leaks throughout the process) have really screwed the Wilson Estate over in terms of maximizing the sale amount. Pegula is not going to overpay and he now knows that 1.3B may not even be necessary. The trust looks desperate trying to get other bidders, but folks know that they are being used just to jack up the price and have no real interest.

Let's say the Toronto group backs out. At that point it's Trump (and a lot of people are questioning whether he could even afford his $1 BIL offer) and Pegula. Pegula could possibly buy the team for much cheaper than he was expecting to pay. Would that be money he could put towards a new stadium? This could be a big win for us if so. I don't feel bad for "the trust." They might not get as much as some might have speculated but a BILLION dollars from a $25,000 investment is more than fair and their heirs kids, kids, kids kids won't have to work a day of their life. Everyone wins