EJ looked calm and in control..

Let's retreat to the tried & true method of attacking the posters. How many of the best analysts played the game? Did Joel Buchsbaum ever leave his mother's basement? Yet he was one of the best analysts ever.

There's a lot to gleam from EJ's body language in trying to predict his potential. Right now he's still too much of a robotic terminator to be an effective QB. To steal someone else's analysis, you can almost sense the circuits processing each movement - step to line, take handoff, step back, scan field, throw ball.

All good QBs have a much more noticeable fluidity to their game. He just doesn't look as natural playing the position as he should be and I don't know if this is something that can be fixed. It's not just fixing a throwing motion or correcting a quirky habit. It's almost his entire game needs to be reworked.

You don't need to have played the game to recognize his flaws and question whether there will be enough time to fix them, if they can be fixed at all.

^^^ This.

My criticism of Ej is that he doesn't pass the eye test. He does not look like a QB, it is the way he plays. That is what I wanted to see last night.

Someone else mentioned that well what about the 70 yard pass in the Jets game...It was a good play (he had a few), he also made a ton of bad ones too...

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe just maybe Marrone didn't want his QB to get hurt and being that we had a 7th rd pick starting at LT against JPP he had EJ out there to just wing it so each player would get a chance to touch the ball. It seemed like Marrone just wanted to get his starters a chance to get any jitters out of the way and then he pulled them. I wouldn't read too much into EJ just dropping and throwing. The guys on the field for the first couple of series aren't fighting for a job. Why don't we see how things progress?

I don't see what the problem would be by leaving our starters in for one more series against the Gints 2nd string. This offense needs reps and all the practice in the world won't replace it.

He played two series and next game he will probably play about the same amount of reps. Also, he is in year two of his playing career with a total of 10 games under his belt. While I 100% agree with many that he is no Jim Kelly (as there is only one), to already give up on EJ is short sighted as QB's take time to develop and figure out if they have the "it" factor.. Kelly had 36 starts in the USFL before he even got to Buffalo and his first year stats in Buffalo were similar percentage wise to EJ, except that he played a full 16 game season. If we give up on every QB 10 games into a career will will continue to be perennial losers AND...it is preseason.

I certainly hope that isn't the case. I would like to see him for a minimum of 4 series.

Look, at this point it seems like Jeff 'freakin' Tuel would be about as successful as EJ if he got all the 1st team reps and playing time afforded EJ. I want to see more. I want to see my 1st string QB slingin the ball around with authority and leading some good drives.

Let's retreat to the tried & true method of attacking the posters. How many of the best analysts played the game? Did Joel Buchsbaum ever leave his mother's basement? Yet he was one of the best analysts ever.

There's a lot to gleam from EJ's body language in trying to predict his potential. Right now he's still too much of a robotic terminator to be an effective QB. To steal someone else's analysis, you can almost sense the circuits processing each movement - step to line, take handoff, step back, scan field, throw ball.

All good QBs have a much more noticeable fluidity to their game. He just doesn't look as natural playing the position as he should be and I don't know if this is something that can be fixed. It's not just fixing a throwing motion or correcting a quirky habit. It's almost his entire game needs to be reworked.

You don't need to have played the game to recognize his flaws and question whether there will be enough time to fix them, if they can be fixed at all.

I'm with you on all points.

Maybe we should wait until after the first game of the season at least before forming an expert conclusion on the upside of EJ.

So, an entire season isn't enough, but a season and a month is?

Look, at this point it seems like Jeff 'freakin' Tuel would be about as successful as EJ if he got all the 1st team reps and playing time afforded EJ. I want to see more. I want to see my 1st string QB slingin the ball around with authority and leading some good drives.

EJ needs the first team reps for sure.

But, I wonder if, in the next preseason game, Marrone can give EJ 2-3 series with the ones and then let Tuel get the same. I realize this will give too much exposure to the ones on O, but I really want to see what Tuel can do with the same supporting cast. Is there any reason why this cannot happen?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

His mechanics are fine. In fact I love his throwing strength. The game is still too fast for him because...he hasn't played enough yet.

+1. We will be doing this year what Pittsburgh did with Ben year 1. Play fast, run the crap out of the ball to keep the clock moving and play great defense and special teams. May not work in today's NFL, but they don't have much choice until EJ's brain and eyes catch up to this level. Is what it is. Andrew Luck he is not.

I hope Tuel gets cut. I would love it so I dont have to hear this crap anymore.

+1. We will be doing this year what Pittsburgh did with Ben year 1. Play fast, run the crap out of the ball to keep the clock moving and play great defense and special teams. May not work in today's NFL, but they don't have much choice until EJ's brain and eyes catch up to this level. Is what it is. Andrew Luck he is not.

yeah. though, as i seemed to remember, that work out pretty well for big ben in his second season

^^^ This.

My criticism of Ej is that he doesn't pass the eye test. He does not look like a QB, it is the way he plays. That is what I wanted to see last night.

Someone else mentioned that well what about the 70 yard pass in the Jets game...It was a good play (he had a few), he also made a ton of bad ones too...

People see what they want to see. Go ahead and apply that to me.

Time to take the diapers or training wheels off EJ. He should have played the entire 1/2 half. He looked TERRIBLE in his first two series. We hear about how well he is doing in training camp, and then he looks WORSE than last year. He stares down receivers and does not go through his progressions. The fact the FO did not bring in a vet backup is mind-boggling. An average QB could have this team in the playoffs. EJ needs to play more. I don't get why the Bills baby him. Let him play. As someone else said, the game is too fast now. The only way it slows down is by more playing time.

Time to take the diapers or training wheels off EJ. He should have played the entire 1/2 half. He looked TERRIBLE in his first two series. We hear about how well he is doing in training camp, and then he looks WORSE than last year. He stares down receivers and does not go through his progressions. The fact the FO did not bring in a vet backup is mind-boggling. An average QB could have this team in the playoffs. EJ needs to play more. I don't get why the Bills baby him. Let him play. As someone else said, the game is too fast now. The only way it slows down is by more playing time.

I hope Tuel gets cut. I would love it so I dont have to hear this crap anymore.

This must be in jest. You don't cut the second best QB on the team.

Good news is, there is another game Friday.

The pass to Lee Smith was good. The pass to Mike Williams in EZ was good but Mike didn't pull it in. If Watkins doesn't get too close to sideline and get cramped in by DB, he may have been able to get to that one. Both of these were pretty good passes.

The others not so much.

Perhaps we should be patient? This was the most meaningless of the 5 meaningless pre season games.

The pass to Watkins was AWFUL. Looked exactly like EJ from last year. It's time for the EJ excuses to end. Play him and see what we have. Sample size is still too small, but "Williams should have caught that pass" (he was interfered with) and blaming Watkins for Manuel staring him down (that's why there were 2 CB's on him) and then chucking the ball 10 yards too far is a bit extreme.

Good news is, there is another game Friday.

The pass to Lee Smith was good. The pass to Mike Williams in EZ was good but Mike didn't pull it in. If Watkins doesn't get too close to sideline and get cramped in by DB, he may have been able to get to that one. Both of these were pretty good passes.

The others not so much.

Perhaps we should be patient? This was the most meaningless of the 5 meaningless pre season games.

your point about patience is good, but EJ needs to freaking play more. This is on the coaching staff. Staring down WR's=game too fast. How to correct=more playing time.

The pass to Watkins was AWFUL. Looked exactly like EJ from last year. It's time for the EJ excuses to end. Play him and see what we have. Sample size is still too small, but "Williams should have caught that pass" (he was interfered with) and blaming Watkins for Manuel staring him down (that's why there were 2 CB's on him) and then chucking the ball 10 yards too far is a bit extreme.

First, the ball wasn't 10 yards overthrown. You are overly exaggerating. Second, Sammy in fact did pin himself to the sidelines, the throw was there. And the Mike Williams throw was good too. Those aren't excuses.

IMO,and I went back and rewatched the fist 2 series, he did stare down a receiver once, the 3rd and 11 play, that was it.

Spoken like a guy that has an agenda.

EJ threw the ball right where it was supposed to be...don't suppose you heard Brian Billick in the post game talking about how Sammy pinned himself to the sideline and took away his chance to make the play on the ball? I love the duality of chastising EJ for throwing the ball deep (when many criticized him for checking down too often last year) while also getting on him for "staring down" a 3-step drop (you realize that you're absolutely, unabashedly incorrect about that, right? It's a 3-step drop and deep throw...if Sammy gets to the ball it's a TD). I also love the hyperbole of "10 yards too far" when the ball landed about 1 stride in front of Watkins.

Chill out...the guy threw 7 passes and a few got batted down.

IMO,and I went back and rewatched the fist 2 series, he did stare down a receiver once, the 3rd and 11 play, that was it.

Yes, that play was the real bad one. Should've been picked.

Hence it was nice to hear the game analyst mention how Tuel was about to throw the deep sideline, saw it wasn't there, pulled it down and threw to his 2nd or 3rd option for a a 1st down. EJ just stands back and throws. Doesn't matter if the guy is covered well or not.

Most on this board clamor for EJ to take a chance and throw it down the field and let his receivers make a play. He does it, now everybody chastises him for doing it. Not specifically pointing at your post, just my general opinion of the board.

Spoken like a guy that has an agenda.

EJ threw the ball right where it was supposed to be...don't suppose you heard Brian Billick in the post game talking about how Sammy pinned himself to the sideline and took away his chance to make the play on the ball? I love the duality of chastising EJ for throwing the ball deep (when many criticized him for checking down too often last year) while also getting on him for "staring down" a 3-step drop (you realize that you're absolutely, unabashedly incorrect about that, right? It's a 3-step drop and deep throw...if Sammy gets to the ball it's a TD). I also love the hyperbole of "10 yards too far" when the ball landed about 1 stride in front of Watkins.

Chill out...the guy threw 7 passes and a few got batted down.

Yes, that play was the real bad one. Should've been picked.

This is a thread-closer in the best sense of that phrase. You hit on all the right points.