EJ looked calm and in control..

This post is nonsense. It's Stevie's fault for getting wide open and Tuel throwing a 100 yard pick 6? That cost the Bills a game where KC didn't score a td?

Am I being punked right now? Some folks are this insanely overreactive? Probably the same folks who see their kids put together a 8 piece puzzle and think they're a genius.

Haha. Absolutely.

The Tuel talk is embarrassing. He's flat out terrible. At best his ceiling is a below average backup.

The HOF game means absolutely nothing. Teams don't game plan, there's camp fodder on the field for long periods of time, it's just a formal practice.

The FO didn't want to risk EJ getting hurt. We had a seventh round pick starting and having to take on JPP. That's why there were many quick drops and throws for EJ. Especially when there are 5 preseason games rather than 4.

How people don't see that is mind bottling.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Thad is adequate, then so is Tuel. I just don't see that much difference in their game to put one significantly above the other.

And I agree, we have an overall QB issue.

Thad has a good arm and is very smart. He has actually played well in and won in real games. As stated above, Tuel has the dreaded "Ryan Neufeld Syndrome." He has no distinguishing physical characteristics. He is not big or strong or fast. He doesn't do one thing very well. So he is just okay in everything. Which in the NFL stinks. You have to do at least one thing very well otherwise there is no use or place for you.

Haha. Absolutely.

The Tuel talk is embarrassing. He's flat out terrible. At best his ceiling is a below average backup.

The HOF game means absolutely nothing. Teams don't game plan, there's camp fodder on the field for long periods of time, it's just a formal practice.

The FO didn't want to risk EJ getting hurt. We had a seventh round pick starting and having to take on JPP. That's why there were many quick drops and throws for EJ. Especially when there are 5 preseason games rather than 4.

How people don't see that is mind bottling.

I agree.

And, I hope the bolded was real mistake, because it's hilarious. If it was intentional, then it is just really funny. . . . :lol:

Thad has a good arm and is very smart. He has actually played well in and won in real games. As stated above, Tuel has the dreaded "Ryan Neufeld Syndrome." He has no distinguishing physical characteristics. He is not big or strong or fast. He doesn't do one thing very well. So he is just okay in everything. Which in the NFL stinks. You have to do at least one thing very well otherwise there is no use or place for you.

Awesome summary. To become successful in this league, Tuel would have to maximize all of his characteristics and that still might not be enough. I give him credit for impressing in preseason but I see nothing to be excited about long term.

And EJ has all the elite tools. Whether he ever harnesses them is the question. But there's a reason why EJ goes to FSU and is a 1st round pick where Tuel goes to WSU and goes undrafted.

Not going to crucify EJ for last night's performance but I'm still waiting to see that intermediate pass to a WR or TE down the field.

Some posters complain he does throw the deep ball enough. I completely disagree with this, he throws the deep ball all of the time.

What he doesn't do is throw the pass you have to make 4-5 times a game to setup scores. The 15-25 pass plays that get the defense scrambling on their heels. He didn't do this last year enough and I didn't see even an attempt last night.

It seem's it is either a 7 yard check down or a 35 yard prayer that he throws. Really nothing in between. This tells me in just isn't comfortable yet with either what he sees or in his own ability.

Well, here's about 9 minutes of highlights from last year showing quite a few of those passes you're looking for.

It's an extra preseason of an already long preseason. Health is the number one concern. It's worth injury risk so EJ can play more to satisfy fans because it's the first football "game" of the year?

This is why fans can't be coaches or GMs. You have to see the big picture.

His health won't matter if he isn't ready to play. He played only 10 snaps and looked bad, I'd kept him in there for another series or two. It's worth the risk.

His health won't matter if he isn't ready to play. He played only 10 snaps and looked bad, I'd kept him in there for another series or two. It's worth the risk.

No offense but I couldn't disagree more. Especially in game 1 of 5 game preseason.

If EJ got injured playing an extra series, people would be wanting to fire Marrone.

I don't understand how Thad is any smarter than Tuel? He has won real games, a couple, ok. But, he's also had the opportunity to play in more games than Tuel. And yes, he has a nice arm that he often uses to over throw his receivers. Again, I just don't see how either one is significantly better than the other. They both have looked good at times and looked bad at times. Neither is starting material.

Where I do see a difference is in last night's game - Tuel seems to have improved in his grasp of the offense over last season, while Thad hasn't (and may have regressed). Again, I'm not saying one is that much better than the other. But, I think Tuel has a legitimate shot to be the #2 QB come day 1 over Thad.

Imagine if EJ had taken a sack / strip / fumble - we'd have to hide him from the pitchfork crowd in a safe house with Norwood...

Haha. The crazy part of fans is there are Giant fans who want to get rid of Eli, even after 2 SBs. As evidence by today, fans are crazy. :)

FTR, I do think Eli is saved by getting lucky in a couple SBs. He's a turnover machine.

He definitely has a real case of the sucks. Neufeld seemed like he should have had the frame to be a quality TE in the league but his football competence was pretty damn low.

It's the same thing. ;) "The Ryan Neufeld Syndrome" was not necessarily only from Ryan Neufeld. He was simply another in a long line of decent, slow, white, mediocre tight ends. They were clones of each other and they all sucked. To be a TE in the NFL you need at least one outstanding talent or trait. You need to be a great receiver, or huge, or a great ath-a-lete, or a great blocker, which are usually you have it or you don't stuff, and then try to refine the lesser parts of your game while you try to exploit the one thing you do well. Ryan Neufeld and all those tight ends did nothing really well, and so they were useless. Lee Smith is worse than Ryan Nuefeld in most tight end qualities but he does one thing really well, he's a great blocker, so there is a place and a use for him.

Jeff Tuel seems like a great guy and hard worker. But he isn't huge, he isn't a great ath-a-lete, he doesn't have a great arm, he isn't a great scrambler, he is fairly accurate but not tremendously accurate. He can't do anything great. He was 4-21 in college (yes I know his team was terrible) and he was undrafted. So in order for him to become even a valuable back-up, he will have to be a tremendous game manager and rarely make mistakes and have a unique feel for the game and that is not at all what he shows. What he shows is a great pass once in a while, and a quick dropback-look-throw once in awhile. And that's it. And if that's it, he stinks.

Spoken like a guy that has an agenda.

EJ threw the ball right where it was supposed to be...don't suppose you heard Brian Billick in the post game talking about how Sammy pinned himself to the sideline and took away his chance to make the play on the ball? I love the duality of chastising EJ for throwing the ball deep (when many criticized him for checking down too often last year) while also getting on him for "staring down" a 3-step drop (you realize that you're absolutely, unabashedly incorrect about that, right? It's a 3-step drop and deep throw...if Sammy gets to the ball it's a TD). I also love the hyperbole of "10 yards too far" when the ball landed about 1 stride in front of Watkins.

Chill out...the guy threw 7 passes and a few got batted down.

Yes, that play was the real bad one. Should've been picked.

Your right. EJ is fantastic. What was I thinking. Oh, the EJ apologists are this board will go to no lengths to absolve him. Your citing Brian Billick as an expert on offensive strategy?? You do realize also that EJ stared down not only Watkins on that play, but also the play that could have and should have been a pick six. And perhaps your not aware, but even a 3 step drop does not absolve a QB of staring down the receiver. Notice that even Nassib (who is not good) was able to look at multiple WR and go through his progressions. EJ has simply not progressed. He needs more playing time. Not sure what the coaches are thinking, "well, he doesn't have it in preseason, we will play him two series, but he'll be fine in the regular season."

Spoken like a guy that has an agenda.

EJ threw the ball right where it was supposed to be...don't suppose you heard Brian Billick in the post game talking about how Sammy pinned himself to the sideline and took away his chance to make the play on the ball? I love the duality of chastising EJ for throwing the ball deep (when many criticized him for checking down too often last year) while also getting on him for "staring down" a 3-step drop (you realize that you're absolutely, unabashedly incorrect about that, right? It's a 3-step drop and deep throw...if Sammy gets to the ball it's a TD). I also love the hyperbole of "10 yards too far" when the ball landed about 1 stride in front of Watkins.

Chill out...the guy threw 7 passes and a few got batted down.

Yes, that play was the real bad one. Should've been picked.

You also realize Watkins can prob cover about 10 yards in a stride. and it looked like 1.5 strides too far. But continue citing inapposite facts to defend EJ. He is terrible right now. There is no way around that. It's a verifiable fact. I think if he plays more, then he will be fine. But even if you said, he had SEVEN passes. How is that going to get him ready for the regular season?? It's not. The coaching staff needs to quit "hoping" he gets it, and put him in a position to actually "get it" by playing him more.

Offer Thad the 3rd string job. If he doesn't want it and thinks he can do better elsewhere, let him go and keep Tuel. Then go (soon I hope) and make a decisive move for the 2nd string QB to tutor and backup EJ. Tuel goes if Thad stays.

I don't even want a QB controversy for the 2nd stringer on this team, and the FO should recognize that. It's imperative that they settle this now.

They were trying to protect EJ's confidence by not having a decent 'push' from behind. EJ is playing too soft and their plan backfired I'm afraid.