What do we do with Henderson?

I'll admit it: when Seantrel Henderson was taken in the draft my first response was "who?" and once I know that, it was "this guy is going to be the next Da'Rick".

That said...by most accounts I hear, while he struggled early (a 7th round rookie struggling against one of the best pass rushers in the game? *fake astonished gasp*) apparently he has started to come into form while playing LT in Glenn's absence. As far as we know, Glenn will be back by Week 1, so I'm curious about what will happen to Henderson both in the immediate future, and longer term.

Obviously, I would prefer to have Glenn back and ready to roll by Week 1, but there is a chance that he comes back rusty.

There is also, I think, a legitimate question as to whether we might want to move him to RT. In terms of measurables, he's actually heaver, stronger, and quick about as quick as his fellow draftee, Kouandjio, who has been struggling to take over for Erik Pears. This was a fight that people thought Kouandjio would win easily, so I'm wondering if they give Henderson a turn there. Of course, the Bill don't really have a strong alternative to put in his place until Glenn comes back.

And of course...I know some people will hate this suggestion, but Marrone seems to have not quite yet found himself with a satisfactory guard situation. While Chris Williams was back from an injury yesterday, the 5th round pick Richardson was still in. Urbik, while still in charge, has has constant rotation to have people try to take over so Marrone seems to be looking for an answer. If you truly want your best guys out there...maybe it deserves a look.

Thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have more developmental linemen than time to get them into cohesive units.

There's more raw talent on the line this year than probably any of the past dozen years.

That said, they have to act like a unit and doing that takes time, repetition, and practice, practice, practice.

We're likely to let some good players go, with hopes of putting them on the Practice squad for further development.

How many linemen make the final roster... 9, 10?

The consensus seems to be seantrel is playing like the second round pick and kuondijio like the 7th round pick. 1st 2nd and 3d round rookies are immune from being cut, and it really creates problems on your roster when they can't play at all and at the same time can't be cut. Maybin wasted a roster spot for two years.

The consensus seems to be seantrel is playing like the second round pick and kuondijio like the 7th round pick. 1st 2nd and 3d round rookies are immune from being cut, and it really creates problems on your roster when they can't play at all and at the same time can't be cut. Maybin wasted a roster spot for two years.

A football consensus garnered after 10 days of practice is subject to change. Just sayin'. I would not begin to think about putting Cudjo in with Mayin's ilk for some time.

Let's see some actual, gosh darn real football before we start slotting any rookie O-linemen anywhere. Henderson couldn't have asked for a better situation than to come into camp and be given 1st team LT responsibilities while Glenn is recovering from a hangnail.

Edited by Beerball

A football consensus garnered after 10 days of practice is subject to change. Just sayin'. I would not begin to think about putting Cudjo in with Mayin's ilk for some time.

Kudjo can never be in with Maybin merely due to the fact he was taken 30 picks later. And even if they were taken in the same spot of the draft, Kudjo's attitude alone puts him above Maybinot.

I'll admit it: when Seantrel Henderson was taken in the draft my first response was "who?" and once I know that, it was "this guy is going to be the next Da'Rick".

That said...by most accounts I hear, while he struggled early (a 7th round rookie struggling against one of the best pass rushers in the game? *fake astonished gasp*) apparently he has started to come into form while playing LT in Glenn's absence. As far as we know, Glenn will be back by Week 1, so I'm curious about what will happen to Henderson both in the immediate future, and longer term.

He struggled early but then came on ? He has yet to play a preseason game....struggle early in walk throughs?

The 'early grading' of these players by some of the media gets a bit ridiculous

Obviously, I would prefer to have Glenn back and ready to roll by Week 1, but there is a chance that he comes back rusty.

There is also, I think, a legitimate question as to whether we might want to move him to RT. In terms of measurables, he's actually heaver, stronger, and quick about as quick as his fellow draftee, Kouandjio, who has been struggling to take over for Erik Pears. This was a fight that people thought Kouandjio would win easily, so I'm wondering if they give Henderson a turn there. Of course, the Bill don't really have a strong alternative to put in his place until Glenn comes back.

And of course...I know some people will hate this suggestion, but Marrone seems to have not quite yet found himself with a satisfactory guard situation. While Chris Williams was back from an injury yesterday, the 5th round pick Richardson was still in. Urbik, while still in charge, has has constant rotation to have people try to take over so Marrone seems to be looking for an answer. If you truly want your best guys out there...maybe it deserves a look.

Thoughts?

Maybe they should consider putting Seantrel at RT and play Cordy at left. Since Kouandijo like being a " road grater" move him inside.

In the end, the Bills will have 7 linemen active on game days: 5 starters + 1 "swing" tackle and 1 G/C backup. If Henderson continues to improve then I think he would be a strong candidate for swing tackle. The staff seems to see Hairston as a guard now (and I'm not sure he's even going to be around with his recurring back problems) and Kouandjo has been slow out of the gate.

Maybe they should consider putting Seantrel at RT and play Cordy at left. Since Kouandijo like being a " road grater" move him inside.

This is a legitimate thought, IMO- especially since no one seems to be grabbing hold of the RG position. However tackles typically only get moved inside at the ends of their careers or when the coaching staff decides that they can't cut it at OT, and I don't expect them to come to that conclusion about Kouandjo until next season (at the earliest), if at all.

Edited by vincec

Not sure if this has been posted, but this was what Whaley said ton Pat Kirwin on. Wednesday.

Said Kouandjio has the physical potential and got by with superior physical talents in college, but when he gets tired or things are going to fast, his technique slips and he gets beat. Very confident that when he gets technique ingrained in him as 2nd nature, will be a very good lineman.

Said Richardson came from a completely different scheme at Baylor , but as he was becoming more comfortable with the B ills scheme, was improving leaps and bounds every day...evidenced by him getting some first team reps this week.

Don't remember what he said bout Henderson

k

Let's see some actual, gosh darn real football before we start slotting any rookie O-linemen anywhere. Henderson couldn't have asked for a better situation than to come into camp and be given 1st team LT responsibilities while Glenn is recovering from a hangnail.

He struggled early but then came on ? He has yet to play a preseason game....struggle early in walk throughs?

The 'early grading' of these players by some of the media gets a bit ridiculous

I hear you guys, but seeing as I needed my football fix, and we're still at T-minus 34 hours until preseason starts, I kind of went looking for it. :D

In the end, the Bills will have 7 linemen active on game days: 5 starters + 1 "swing" tackle and 1 G/C backup. If Henderson continues to improve then I think he would be a strong candidate for swing tackle. The staff seems to see Hairston as a guard now (and I'm not sure he's even going to be around with his recurring back problems) and Kouandjo has been slow out of the gate.

This is a legitimate thought, IMO- especially since no one seems to be grabbing hold of the RG position. However tackles typically only get moved inside at the ends of their careers or when the coaching staff decides that they can't cut it at OT, and I don't expect them to come to that conclusion about Kouandjo until next season (at the earliest), if at all.

Hmm, that is a fair point. Hairston, when healthy and fresh, made for a very nice swing tackle, and I'm a fan of that as depth. Teams are lucky to have complete seasons from both of their tackles, so I could see that.

I was thinking about this yesterday and what if the OL long term was:

Glenn-Cyrus-Wood-Cyril-Henderson

They would be nasty in the run game and uber athletic on the edge. Just a thought

Damn...that would be nasty. I would love to see it, especially since most of them are young guys! :thumbsup:

Cyrus, Richardson and Henderson are all giant homo sapiens with tons of natural ability. Coming from college to pro is a big adjustment. There is a learning curve, and they are approaching the bend. Henderson was the USA Today Offensive Player of the Year as a high school senior, so he is likely the best athlete of the 3. Maybe that's why he is ahead of the others....he's just a better athlete. However, the other two are still studs, and will eventually adjust to the Big Boy game and be starters for years to come.

That's my prediction.

On a somewhat related concern, seen this happen a number of times of the years, Glenn comes back, kind of rushed back, and gets some type of season ending injury. Would the same thing have happened if he had been in training camp all season, who knows. So wouldn't shock me to see Henderson become the starting LT for the bulk of the season by default. Long term, would be a good thing for the team. He could become the next Jason Peters, kind of comes out of nowhere to become the starting LT. In this case, it's not exactly nowhere, there is a bit of a story behind it all.

In terms of Henderson, I don't think there's any issue. I'm pretty confident that Glenn, Woods and Williams are "penned in" starters. For the rest of the guys, it just comes down to me who the best player is. Some express concerns over the fact that they gave up 7 sacks on 11 plays in drills. I'm not. Let's not lose sight of the fact that our defensive line was one of the best rushing the passer last season. That gives me optimism that if our offensive line learns how to limit EJ's exposure from our defense that they'll be that much better prepared to protect him from others.

I think this situation will be a little clearer with some pre season seasoning. Truth be told, with the rookie salary situation these days, nobody is safe and assured of a roster spot...they're now fairly disposable... That said, I think The two Cy's, and Henderson make the roster with a couple of vereran cuts....