WTF Andre Reed???

MClem06

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the Bills moved to Toronto and Reed appeared in commercials on Buffalo TV networks saying "Hey football fans, this is Andre Reed calling on you to come out and support the Toronto Bills", people would be OK with that? Just a guy feeding his family?

Objection: Assumes facts not in evidence.

I dont think there's a rule requiring this. Just ask the Ravens.

The Ravens never moved...

If a guy works for Yahoo for 20 years and makes $120K/year ... then Google offers the guy $150K/year, would anyone blame the guy for going to Google?

Since he was a faithful Yahoo employee for 20 years, would you think it was the "right thing to do" to give up the extra $30K/year?

No. No one in their right mind would.

Bills fans are not Andre Reed's family. Andre Reed doesn't owe Bills fans or the city of Buffalo a damn thing. Football was his job. Being associated with the Bills continues to be his job regardless of location as long as they're paying him.

It's a business. It's not a family business, though.

These guys don't give a crap about what the fans think; nor should they. They're in it for the money. Just like the rest of us in the workforce.

Edited by Gugny

Andre has done a lot. he gave profits to charities on his barbecue sauce and put in on the line for the team when he was here.

so when he came back too early in a 95 playoff game so he could show the other teams he was ok during his contract year, was that laying it on the line? He contributed to us losing that game, not to mention fumbling about 9 times in 94, not running his routes in 96 for todd collins. throwing his helmet and helping us lose the 98 playoff game. then pouting like a baby about his role in 99 when moulds and price were outplaying him and he was lucky to have made the team. Was that him "laying it on the line"????

Reed was good until about 93 but then his cry baby attitude and selfishness grew larger than his contributions to the Bills, He was definitely the SJ of the 90's Bills only his good and bad eras both lasted twice as long.

Edited by enlightener

The Ravens never moved...

Seriously?

The Ravens were the Cleveland Browns, but after a legal tussle, agreed to leave the "Browns" name and legacy in Cleveland.

You really needed someone to tell you that?

Wow, I am just amazed this thread didn't die yet. I'll say it again, TO is kind of nice and you can have a good time there, sure I hate the Leafs and the idea that they may try to steal/buy our team. But if they pay and I want a job, eefff yeah I'd go, it's money. Money is a good thing, we got Mario because, you guessed it money. Andre was much better than Irving and now finally he is getting in the HOF and THIS is what you do? Real fans :doh: :sick:

You all really need to get out more, I mean Bflo is a nice enough place and all but.....

I think the Maziel comments will get blown up this weekend..and Reed will come off looking bad. Not unlike Warren Sapp when he went in....cant remember who it was, a current player (Suh maybe)... Sapp used his HOF attention to criticize the player, and was taken to task for it by the media...anything Johnny is hot right now...no matter how he meant it. For him to say Manziels' partying ways wouldn't have been tolerated in Buffalo will only illicit memories of the Kelly/Reed era teams who were not known as choir boys, in the partying arena.

I think the Maziel comments will get blown up this weekend..and Reed will come off looking bad. Not unlike Warren Sapp when he went in....cant remember who it was, a current player (Suh maybe)... Sapp used his HOF attention to criticize the player, and was taken to task for it by the media...anything Johnny is hot right now...no matter how he meant it. For him to say Manziels' partying ways wouldn't have been tolerated in Buffalo will only illicit memories of the Kelly/Reed era teams who were not known as choir boys, in the partying arena.

Yeah, I'm not sure where he was going with that, at all. I think maybe they got Andre with a couple of drinks in him or something.

On the other hand, printing something that someone says is "off the record" is bad journalism ethics and I don't know why the editor or the writer let that pass. Unless AR said it was OK to print it - in which case, including the phrase "off the record" is strange at best.

Then you simply don't understand what Andre said or what I posted. Admittedly, you're confused.

He said he had a great time in Toronto. I had a great time in Toronto last time I visited. Where in that statement do you read Andre supporting the team moving to another city? Keep in mind that the whole bit about allegiance and ironclad was the author's interpretation.

I don't believe that I said anything about him supporting the team moving...

Furthermore, there was never any mention of any potential position with the organization... Would love to know where you got that...

The world holds its collective breath.

Did that make you feel better???

I refuse to fall into your antagonistic trap, sir... Valiant effort though....

I don't believe that I said anything about him supporting the team moving...

Furthermore, there was never any mention of any potential position with the organization... Would love to know where you got that...

Then what are you disputing? Remember you took exception with my post and questioned whether or not I read the "article". Now you're on the defensive?

Expanding on the misconceptions advanced within this thread.

Edited by Jauronimo

Seriously?

The Ravens were the Cleveland Browns, but after a legal tussle, agreed to leave the "Browns" name and legacy in Cleveland.

You really needed someone to tell you that?

The Colts, Rams, Cardinals, Raiders......all moved their team and name/legacy, as the OP said would happen if the Bills moved to Toronto.

The Browns were the exception--and the city of Cleveland was only allowed to keep the Browns legacy because they were guaranteed a new team would be coming to them in 3 years (that wouldn't be happening in Buffalo). In fact, an NFL team technically never left Cleveland--it was "deactivated" for 3 seasons.

Maybe if the other guy had said "ask the Browns" his post would have made been more accurate.

One random side note from the article that I enjoyed was the inclusion and explanation of the term "gaunches". Growing up, I had cousins that lived in Orchard Park and one day we got into a discussion of the diffferent groups in high school and I'l always remember them using this term and thinking WTF. In my high school we called them Dirtbags.

Yes- it was the report who said "off the record"

He asked "off the record?" And Andre confirmed by starting his next sentence with "off the record"

I was a journalism and communications major and that was something that was stressed early and often... Respect your sources... This dude should be lucky to get a job flipping burgers by weeks end...

In reference to his "if they paid me" comment. I didn't interpret that as a dog against Buffalo at all... He was asked if he would support the team outside of Buffalo- and his response was that his support of Buffalo wasn't iron-clad by stating "if they paid me"... Toronto... If Toronto paid him, he would support the team if it were moved there...

Agreed. Also, the "if they paid me," could mean, "if they paid me, I would work for them." I wouldn't hold it against him if he took a WR job with another team, even a hypothetical team that left Buffalo. However, it seems pretty clear that he would not be happy with the Bills leaving Buffalo.

Yes, because Jim Kelly stayed in Buffalo because he loves it so much. Come on. It's all about money.

I'm not saying the Kelly isn't a true champion of the city/region OR that he doesn't want what's best for it. But to think that his primary reason for staying in the Buffalo was not financially motivated would be naive.

Gungy, not a big deal but this is absolutely not true. Kelly actually built on a beautiful house on Lake Chesdin, near Richmonf where his brother lived and where Jim Kelly Enterprises was HQ. However, Hunter kept defying the odds and fought his ass off and kept getting more time. There was no way they were moving his care from his doctors and Children's in Buffalo.

The Kelly family sold the house after it sat empty but fully furnished for a couple of years, never having moved in.

Edited by plenzmd1