GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s a weird year with all of the traditional playoff powers breaking in freshman QBs,  but refreshing, in a way. Title seems wide open. Also - the Heisman? Anyone? Bueller? 

I honestly couldn't recommend a single player for Heisman. As an Alabama fan I pray Bryce Young doesn't get it. He has no heart.

Michigan state RB is probably the best player.

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

look even Klatt said it on the Stroud late TD run that was called back for basically nothing,   he'd seen tons of no calls that were far worse than that very questionable hold.    i respect Klatt totally and on top of that,  i saw all this crap with my own 2 eyes.

And even with 3 sacks, Hutchinson was held WAY more than what was called.  He was headlocked to the ground at least twice that I saw that wasn't called. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

look even Klatt said it on the Stroud late TD run that was called back for basically nothing,   he'd seen tons of no calls that were far worse than that very questionable hold.    i respect Klatt totally and on top of that,  i saw all this crap with my own 2 eyes.

I agree with you on that call and heard his comments.  I actually saw a hold on the left side of the line and was surprised when they called the player they called.  Having said that, the announcer in no way implied that the calls in the game were one-sided.  If anything both announcers thought it was a well-earned win by Michigan.

56 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I honestly couldn't recommend a single player for Heisman. As an Alabama fan I pray Bryce Young doesn't get it. He has no heart.

Michigan state RB is probably the best player.

I agree.  I don't see any QBs that should be in the mix this year.

Edited by jkeerie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They should replay Michigan and OSU on a neutral field.  Those are the 2 best teams in the conference.

Sadly it doesn't work that way.  I agree, but it just doesn't. 

Alabama has played like total crap, but if they can get it done in 3OT, they have a chance for a championship. 

29 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Alabama has played like total crap, but if they can get it done in 3OT, they have a chance for a championship. 

I know.  And wishing doesn't make it so.  At the start of the season, you thought the Big 10 would be a really great conference, but that did not prove long lasting.  They are mediocre.  The only teams in college football that have consistently looked good are Georgia and Cincinnati.

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

Actually their defense played very well. This was however a terrible showing from the offense.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Actually their defense played very well. This was however a terrible showing from the offense.

Sure deal, but defense is half the battle. They were playing a backup QB who was limping and it went to OT  Like I said, huge Bama fan, grew up in Birmingham, AL, but objectively they were not a playoff team tonight nor the last month or so. 

If you think differently,  great, they may put it together for 3 games, who knows. No way to predict that though.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:22 PM, YoloinOhio said:

With such a young team, I never even expected playoffs this year but next year it will be on (if they can get some decent LBs). 

Alabama, especially if Christian Allen comes back, will be overflowing with pass rushing, talented OLBs. One is Drew Sanders. Next year the Tde might pay you back for Jameson Williams. They have too many of these OLBs to keep them all.

Wait and see.

Picking up the pieces and trying to look ahead…

With team goals 1 & 2 (Beat TUN & win the B1G) off the table, I guess the Rose Bowl could potentially salvage what has to be called a failed season at this point.  I’m seeing speculation that the Rose Bowl might prefer MSU this year because Buckeye fans are miserable and may not travel this year as well as Sparty, whose fans are elated about this season compared to expectations and ready to show up for a Rose Bowl. If Alabama loses to Georgia and doesn’t get in the playoff, it could be a good opportunity to match up OSU and Alabama in a bowl game – at least that would have some juice.

During the offseason, Day has the enormous task of overhauling the defense. After two seasons of defense ranging from awful to just good enough, it’s time to say goodbye to Coombs and Barnes. I’m not sure what to do with Al Washington or even Larry Johnson for that matter. Both of those guys are highly regarded – and LJ in particular is a legend – but their units have been badly underperforming. Maybe with new leadership at the top things will improve.  Time to bring back Dantonio? Would Marcus Freeman come if offered? Who else is out there? This is a huge test for the head coach.  He made decisive moves during the season, and so I would think he’s ready to do what needs to be done during the offseason. This offseason has the potential to define his time as head coach for better or for worse.

20 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Picking up the pieces and trying to look ahead…

With team goals 1 & 2 (Beat TUN & win the B1G) off the table, I guess the Rose Bowl could potentially salvage what has to be called a failed season at this point.  I’m seeing speculation that the Rose Bowl might prefer MSU this year because Buckeye fans are miserable and may not travel this year as well as Sparty, whose fans are elated about this season compared to expectations and ready to show up for a Rose Bowl. If Alabama loses to Georgia and doesn’t get in the playoff, it could be a good opportunity to match up OSU and Alabama in a bowl game – at least that would have some juice.

During the offseason, Day has the enormous task of overhauling the defense. After two seasons of defense ranging from awful to just good enough, it’s time to say goodbye to Coombs and Barnes. I’m not sure what to do with Al Washington or even Larry Johnson for that matter. Both of those guys are highly regarded – and LJ in particular is a legend – but their units have been badly underperforming. Maybe with new leadership at the top things will improve.  Time to bring back Dantonio? Would Marcus Freeman come if offered? Who else is out there? This is a huge test for the head coach.  He made decisive moves during the season, and so I would think he’s ready to do what needs to be done during the offseason. This offseason has the potential to define his time as head coach for better or for worse.

I’m hearing rumors  that the only asst coaches expected back are Hartline and Coombs. LJ retiring. Wilson and Alford to take HC jobs. Cleaning house on D. Stud will be fired. I assume they are hanging on to Coombs for recruiting. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m hearing rumors  that the only asst coaches expected back are Hartline and Coombs. LJ retiring. Wilson and Alford to take HC jobs. Cleaning house on D. Stud will be fired. I assume they are hanging on to Coombs for recruiting. 

Surprised to hear Coombs is expected back -- mostly because during his big speech about his demotion he emphasized that he'll continue to give the program everything he's got "this year." My takeaway was that he'll finish out the year and move on to something else.

Edited by Willyville Guy

21 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Surprised to hear Coombs is expected back -- mostly because during his big speech about his demotion he emphasized that he'll continue to give the program everything he's got "this year." My takeaway was that he'll finish out the year and move on to something else.

Btw, my sympathy to you and @YoloinOhio. I know how it is to come close and just miss as a Bills Fan and a Tide Fan. Taking it a step further, I thought it would be OSU vs. UGA in the title game.

Hey, maybe next year it will be OSU/Crimson Tide! :) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Btw, my sympathy to you and @YoloinOhio. I know how it is to come close and just miss as a Bills Fan and a Tide Fan. Taking it a step further, I thought it would be OSU vs. UGA in the title game.

Hey, maybe next year it will be OSU/Crimson Tide! :) 

Thanks, though I don’t think they “just missed”. Just missing to me is playing a close game and losing at the end. They did neither of those things. Whether they were bored with Michigan or looking ahead to the playoffs already or what, they got smacked by the hungrier team. They didn’t deserve to go further. It’s a very young team and I didn’t expect to win the title this year. The  year I did was 2019 and THAT was the year they had it all and “just missed” - and it was heartbreaking. Imo 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thanks, though I don’t think they “just missed”. Just missing to me is playing a close game and losing at the end. They did neither of those things. Whether they were bored with Michigan or looking ahead to the playoffs already or what, they got smacked by the hungrier team. They didn’t deserve to go further. It’s a very young team and I didn’t expect to win the title this year. The  year I did was 2019 and THAT was the year they had it all and “just missed” - and it was heartbreaking. Imo 

You obviously know your team better than I do. I likened your team a bit to last year's Alabama team sans Mac Jones. You seemed to have the receivers and the running game. Your QB is not Mac Jones (and btw neither is ours imo). Our OL is considerably worse than 2020. To put it in perspective, Evan Neal was our RIGHT Tackle. That line was all world. This team is getting by on pure guts and of course, Nick Saban.

Once again, I hope that we meet again next year. 

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You obviously know your team better than I do. I likened your team a bit to last year's Alabama team sans Mac Jones. You seemed to have the receivers and the running game. Your QB is not Mac Jones (and btw neither is ours imo). Our OL is considerably worse than 2020. To put it in perspective, Evan Neal was our RIGHT Tackle. That line was all world. This team is getting by on pure guts and of course, Nick Saban.

Once again, I hope that we meet again next year. 

Thanks. Defense was never stable all year with issues  that kept getting duct taped over and were never fixed. They had a guy who just converted from RB in august as their best LB. A TE was playing LB on Saturday. Safeties were never healthy. DL underperformed. They have some high end talent that are true freshmen and shined already this year so that’s a bright spot. Offense wasn’t the issue obviously, but the OL underperformed in games where they had to control the LOS because they play tackles at guard (??) and a true freshman at center. As they say, maybe next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

Can’t knock the kid’s hustle. 

Day never wanted him to re-classify but it was either that or he would go elsewhere. Ultimately he wanted assurances from Day that he would start a certain number of games next year because it would bring in more NIL deals and Day refused (obviously). NIL is clearly his biggest priority. 

On 11/27/2021 at 6:06 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Wisconsin and Iowa are utterly lifeless on offense, I can’t see it 

I had to bump this after watching the championship game. I realize you follow college ball closely, but you weren’t kidding about the Iowa offense. I didn’t realize it was that bad, wow. 

18 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I had to bump this after watching the championship game. I realize you follow college ball closely, but you weren’t kidding about the Iowa offense. I didn’t realize it was that bad, wow. 

Tragic, I tell you. 

Iowa throws three times on a drive.

"They're letting everything hang out on this drive!"

💀

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tragic, I tell you. 

Iowa throws three times on a drive.

"They're letting everything hang out on this drive!"

💀

It was weird.  Once Michigan adjusted to that PA bootleg that worked some in the 1st half, their offense was toast.  Ferentz is a great coach, and he overachieves at Iowa, but how can you literally have no other plan than that? 

Michigan has a decent chance in the playoffs, but they need more out of McNamara.  He shows flashes, but he needs to have a Nick Foles type playoff switch to get them a championship.  The defense and run game are there. 

27 minutes ago, cle23 said:

It was weird.  Once Michigan adjusted to that PA bootleg that worked some in the 1st half, their offense was toast.  Ferentz is a great coach, and he overachieves at Iowa, but how can you literally have no other plan than that? 

Michigan has a decent chance in the playoffs, but they need more out of McNamara.  He shows flashes, but he needs to have a Nick Foles type playoff switch to get them a championship.  The defense and run game are there. 

Ferentz hiring his kid to be the OC was a mistake 

This was mentioned in another thread (hat tip Knowles's girlfriend).  It's a good sign for Day that he got the guy he wanted and that every other school apparently wanted this year.  Hopefully Knowles comes in and gets the players he needs to bring great defense back to Ohio State.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

This was mentioned in another thread (hat tip Knowles's girlfriend).  It's a good sign for Day that he got the guy he wanted and that every other school apparently wanted this year.  Hopefully Knowles comes in and gets the players he needs to bring great defense back to Ohio State.

tOSU just got the best DC in the country. 

I'd argue with anyone that Oklahoma State has the #1 defense in college football this season. Gave up 21 total touchdowns (no more than 24 points allowed in ANY game by that defense). No other team in the nation did that this year. Leads in sacks, 3rd down defense, 4th down defense, top 3 in yards allowed, etc, etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...

Predictions for the Rose Bowl?

I'm concerned that the Bucks could take a loss here against a Utah team that by all accounts plays with great toughness.  The OL and DL got pushed around by Oregon and Michigan, and to a lesser extend by Penn St and Nebraska too. Now with Petit-Frere opting out on offense along with Garrett on defense, Ohio State's woes in the trenches could be seriously exacerbated. Hopefully the loss of those two will be balanced out by an attitude adjustment after hearing about how soft people think the lines are for the past month.   

On the flip side, I'm super excited to see Stroud, Henderson, and Smith-Njigba ball out with the rest of the offense. I fully expect them to make a ton of plays and set up a glorious campaign for 2022-23.

As for this season, it was frustrating to see the defense bottom out--especially at linebacker of all positions--and painful to lose to the rival. But it was also awesome to see Day make staffing and player changes on the fly to keep the team on track, unbelievably entertaining to watch the offense when it was firing on all cylinders, and with so many freshman playing all year at a high level it's hard not to be optimistic about the future. This game won't change any of that.  It is the Rose Bowl though, and I don't want my school to put a loss in Granddaddy's history books, so hopefully these kids will "(1) hit the hardest, (2) start the fastest, and (3) be too damn smart to make mistakes," as Woody would say, and get another win in Pasadena.

35-24 Ohio State. Go Bucks!

I really don’t know what to expect. I’m excited to see what should be a glimpse of the 2022 offense (minus Ruckert, thanks for playing today dude!)

the defense, good or bad today, will be kind of meaningless to me. I don’t think when they take the field vs ND in September that it will look anything like it does today. I hope for a decent performance, but with all the injuries a and opt outs (Haskell Garrett is perhaps the most significant opt out given the gap between him and the depth behind him) I’m not that optimistic on what it will look like.

i think the Bucks can win! Excited to soak in one more game before the long wait until September. 

Edited by YoloinOhio