GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This team is different ?

Yes, yes they are. I said over the summer that they’d be better with Ryan Day and people looked at me like I had 12 heads. This team is as dominant as any that I can recall. They are explosive on offense and devastating on defense. They take the ball away and never give it away. There is blue chip talent everywhere and good coaching. Assuming that they stay healthy, there is no ceiling.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, yes they are. I said over the summer that they’d be better with Ryan Day and people looked at me like I had 12 heads. This team is as dominant as any that I can recall. They are explosive on offense and devastating on defense. They take the ball away and never give it away. There is blue chip talent everywhere and good coaching. Assuming that they stay healthy, there is no ceiling.

It is interesting. Do you think there is a chance Urban held them back a bit the last two years? The players seem to be playing with more freedom and more enjoyment to me. Or is this just a more talented group? Or a bit of both?

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is interesting. Do you think there is a chance Urban held them back a bit the last two years? The players seem to be playing with more freedom and more enjoyment to me. Or is this just a more talented group? Or a bit of both?

The biggest difference, to me, is the defensive coaching. This is by and large the same group of players they had last year. I don’t know if urban was holding them back but I do think he’s stubborn in his scheme/play calling on offense and Day is much more open. Ultimately their recruiting success over the years is showing. Urban used to shine in close games at the end, he always had the team that was more mentally tough and physicallly strong. We haven’t seen Day in a close game late yet, but I’m ok if that doesn’t happen :)

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

A bit of both. The talent is certainly there. The defensive coaching is WAY better. In terms of Urban, he just believed that his offense would work even when it didn’t. When I saw Haskins running zone read I wanted to jump through the TV. That’s not his game. He is a great recruiter and big game coach. He’s a legend. It just feels to me like they attack more now. Foot on the throat 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A bit of both. The talent is certainly there. The defensive coaching is WAY better. In terms of Urban, he just believed that his offense would work even when it didn’t. When I saw Haskins running zone read I wanted to jump through the TV. That’s not his game. He is a great recruiter and big game coach. He’s a legend. It just feels to me like they attack more now. Foot on the throat 

I'm not sure Urban's coaching held back the team, but his hiring practices did. Former LB coach and Urban's good friend Bill Davis certainly held back the defense.  Zach Smith held back the WRs, and his relationship to Urban and Ohio State is well documented.  Schiano is similar but not as egregious. Now that the "relationship" hires are gone and top-end coaches are developing the top-tier talent that Urban brought in, the team looks angry and fast again like it did in Urban's first few years. Hopefully Day sees that lesson from the end of Urban's tenure and learns from it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

Worried about overconfidence heading into a night game with sparty. Everyone seems to be predicting another blow out. I hope we don’t get “Tressled.” 

Seriously. I don’t think some of these people remember ‘98. Those scars simply don’t heal. They may remember 2013 and 2015,  but think they were flukes.