GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

Most years we can see areas of concern or outright problems from the get-go even against "cupcakes."  Like the defense and penalties last year, special teams the year before, something off between Barrett and his wide receivers... those issues tend to be minor hiccups in the tune-up games, but nobody is surprised when they cause huge problems down the stretch.  It's unusual to see a Buckeye team play this clean right out of the gate.  It certainly doesn't guarantee greatness in the future, but it's an exciting indicator for fans who watch all the games. 

Edited by Willyville Guy

19 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Most years we can see areas of concern or outright problems from the get-go even against "cupcakes."  Like the defense and penalties last year, special teams the year before, something off between Barrett and his wide receivers... those issues tend to be minor hiccups in the tune-up games, but nobody is surprised when they cause huge problems down the stretch.  It's unusual to see a Buckeye team play this clean right out of the gate.  It certainly doesn't guarantee greatness in the future, but it's an exciting indicator for fans who watch all the games. 

i know, i watch all the tOSU and Michigan games untl the rhythmic drubbing and impaling of the cupcake is a done deal, hopefully it takes until the 4th

the option (and the wishbone) is a shaky way to run things, so much has to be choreographed and can go wrong, we watched OU/Nebraska games of the century growing up, waiting for the first fumble that would decide.

it's one thing i never understood about NCAAF, how fans act like wins against horrible teams mean anything in bringing stats and performance to the 2 or 3 games with worthy opponents. 

LOSSES i understand how you carry it forward, if they ever happen....

i know the announcers are supposed to scream with joy how Joe Blow has run for 180 yards on average or how Wisconsin is averaging a run up the gut 98% of the time against hapless cupcakes, all part of the hype and pointless things they say.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

CC: Greg Schiano 

I’m really surprised by how terrible Schiano looks right now. He brought toughness to Rutgers, called an all-time defense for OSU in 2016, and I expected him to take over the program when Urban stepped down.  Then the defense cratered and the same players are killing it so far this year under Mattison and company. Grinch gets a pass (somewhat) because it’s well known that he had expected full control last year and never got it. But Schiano, man that’s a tough look for him. 

On 9/22/2019 at 12:31 AM, row_33 said:

Ran it up on another cupcake

great work

maybe a ticker tape parade for this achievement 

Against a schedule that has featured no heavyweights but minimal dead weight -- Indiana currently ranks 32nd in SP+, Cincinnati ranks 59th, and FAU ranks 76th -- the Buckeyes are winning games by an average score of 54-9.

They are the only team with a top-five offensive and defensive SP+ rating at the moment, and they are up to second overall, 2.5 adjusted points per game behind Alabama and 1.8 ahead of Clemson.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27677435/sp+-rankings-week-4-ohio-state-move

Not sure why the snark... no they haven’t played a big time team yet but they haven’t been “cupcakes”... the season is young. No one is celebrating anything other than what appears to be a much better defense than last year and week to week improvement by the QB, and some blue chip talent on both sides of the ball. They could lose Saturday. I don’t take any team for granted. But They’ve been, for the most part, a lot more fun to watch as a Buckeye fan than the last few years. 

i don't get how fans of massive powerhouses prance around and trumpet wins over horribly outmatched opponents

not a single player on the cupcake roster would make the roster of the big teams.

all part and parcel of this time of the year...

eventually the top teams have to face a worthy opponent, Bama took until the Final last year.... shockingly....

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i don't get how fans of massive powerhouses prance around and trumpet wins over horribly outmatched opponents

not a single player on the cupcake roster would make the roster of the big teams.

all part and parcel of this time of the year...

eventually the top teams have to face a worthy opponent, Bama took until the Final last year.... shockingly....

Well no one did that here... 

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well no one did that here... 

I can watch the Buckeyes stomp on opponents all day. Love it.  I follow these kids as they come out of high school, develop themselves, wait for opportunities, and when they finally earn playing time and make plays it's fun to watch and celebrate their hard work.

7 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

I can watch the Buckeyes stomp on opponents all day. Love it.  I follow these kids as they come out of high school, develop themselves, wait for opportunities, and when they finally earn playing time and make plays it's fun to watch and celebrate their hard work.

For sure. I celebrate every win, every TD, I appreciate it all. I’m not presuming it means more than it does due to opponent level, but that meaning will increase every week. I’m (as usual) very anxious about Saturday. I want to see Fields in a true road game (IU doesn’t count, it was 80% buckeye fans), the defense vs a pretty big time QB, and how they respond to what will likely be a 4 quarter game, none of which they’ve experienced yet as a collective unit. They have been practicing in extreme noise all week, which is good.

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

For sure. I celebrate every win, every TD, I appreciate it all. I’m not presuming it means more than it does due to opponent level, but that meaning will increase every week. I’m (as usual) very anxious about Saturday. I want to see Fields in a true road game (IU doesn’t count, it was 80% buckeye fans), the defense vs a pretty big time QB, and how they respond to what will likely be a 4 quarter game, none of which they’ve experienced yet as a collective unit. They have been practicing in extreme noise all week, which is good.

Saturday is going to be a wild scene.  I've heard uniformly excellent reports over the years about the atmosphere in and around Memorial Stadium. 

As for the game, I'm most interested to see if all the injuries along the D line cause noticeable problems against a stronger opponent than the Bucks have faced so far this year. I'm also interested to see if Victor in particular can play as calm and cool as he has so far with the bright lights on him.

3 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Saturday is going to be a wild scene.  I've heard uniformly excellent reports over the years about the atmosphere in and around Memorial Stadium. 

As for the game, I'm most interested to see if all the injuries along the D line cause noticeable problems against a stronger opponent than the Bucks have faced so far this year. I'm also interested to see if Victor in particular can play as calm and cool as he has so far with the bright lights on him.

I think Jonathan Cooper is ready to return (fingers crossed)

Victor is a matchup nightmare for corners. Day just said he has a 7 foot wingspan. Remember he had the huge play on the road last year at penn state so hopefully he does.