Know anyone with a disease? Read this

No it wasn't. It was bad. Really really bad.

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

But upon re-reading it...yeah, that was awful.

The best puns are always 'groaners'. No shame in that.

The best puns are always 'groaners'. No shame in that.

No shame felt. The quality of a pun is inversely proportional to the awfulness of it.

Best/worst I've ever heard is the classic about Gandhi being a "super-calloused fragile mystic plagued with halitosis." Not the best because it's at all a good pun...the best because I once watched a guy try telling it, and then explaining it, to an Indian...

NIDA, reported to be a major historical obstacle to cannabis research, seems to be evolving.

These are recently approved studies

http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/marijuana/nida-research-therapeutic-benefits-cannabis-cannabinoids

from the article:

28 projects were identified (25 projects + 3 supplements) and are listed in the table below.

In the table, projects are divided into six disease categories: autoimmune diseases, inflammation, pain, psychiatric disorders, seizures, and substance use disorders (SUDs). Clicking on individual project titles leads to their descriptions in NIH RePorter. Also listed are the cannabinoid substances being examined and, except in cases when the whole plant was used, whether the studied chemicals are purified from the plant, synthetic, or endogenous; and whether the project uses human or animal subjects.

Not true, I just think you are about as intelligent as a broken stone. That's all

Wow, you really nailed me with that one. A broken stone? I feel crushed by your rapier wit. Anyway, congrats on a post that didn't have any grammatical or spelling errors.

Wow, you really nailed me with that one. A broken stone? I feel crushed by your rapier wit. Anyway, congrats on a post that didn't have any grammatical or spelling errors.

How can a stone be broken? If you break it, you just have two stones, not a broken stone.

Maybe if I get not-low I can crack that philosophical quandary.

• 4 weeks later...

Here 's a recent article on autism and cannabinoids.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/debraborchardt/2015/06/10/desperate-parents-of-autistic-children-trying-cannabis-despite-lack-of-studies/

From the article

The stories of autistic children that are helped with CBD oil sound very familiar to the stories of the epileptic children that have responded to CBD. A Brown University teacher Marie Myung-Ok Lee , author of Somebody’s Daughter, documented her autistic son’s response to using Marinol, a synthetic cannabis which is produced by the drug company Abbvie. She switched to an edible form of cannabis and then a tea version. Her son went from self-harming behavior like banging his head to being able to ride a bike. She calls her experiment a qualified success.

Here is another link to some recent interesting cannabis articles

http://www.alternativeherbals.net/science.html

Edited by Bob in Mich

• 2 weeks later...

"Medical marijuana has not been proven to work for many illnesses that state laws have approved it for..."

"... according to the first comprehensive analysis of research on its potential benefits."

CHICAGO (AP) -- Medical marijuana has not been proven to work for many illnesses that state laws have approved it for, according to the first comprehensive analysis of research on its potential benefits.

The strongest evidence is for chronic pain and for muscle stiffness in multiple sclerosis, according to the review, which evaluated 79 studies involving more than 6,000 patients. Evidence was weak for many other conditions, including anxiety, sleep disorders, and Tourette's syndrome and the authors recommend more research.

The analysis is among several medical marijuana articles published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association. They include a small study suggesting that many brand labels for edible marijuana products list inaccurate amounts of active ingredients. More than half of brands tested had much lower amounts than labeled, meaning

"Medical marijuana has not been proven to work for many illnesses that state laws have approved it for..."

"... according to the first comprehensive analysis of research on its potential benefits."

CHICAGO (AP) -- Medical marijuana has not been proven to work for many illnesses that state laws have approved it for, according to the first comprehensive analysis of research on its potential benefits.

The strongest evidence is for chronic pain and for muscle stiffness in multiple sclerosis, according to the review, which evaluated 79 studies involving more than 6,000 patients. Evidence was weak for many other conditions, including anxiety, sleep disorders, and Tourette's syndrome and the authors recommend more research.

The analysis is among several medical marijuana articles published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association. They include a small study suggesting that many brand labels for edible marijuana products list inaccurate amounts of active ingredients. More than half of brands tested had much lower amounts than labeled, meaning

What?!? I thought it cured everything!

Scant evidence that medical pot helps many illnesses

Here 's a recent article on autism and cannabinoids.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/debraborchardt/2015/06/10/desperate-parents-of-autistic-children-trying-cannabis-despite-lack-of-studies/

From the article

The stories of autistic children that are helped with CBD oil sound very familiar to the stories of the epileptic children that have responded to CBD. A Brown University teacher Marie Myung-Ok Lee , author of Somebody’s Daughter, documented her autistic son’s response to using Marinol, a synthetic cannabis which is produced by the drug company Abbvie. She switched to an edible form of cannabis and then a tea version. Her son went from self-harming behavior like banging his head to being able to ride a bike. She calls her experiment a qualified success.

Here is another link to some recent interesting cannabis articles

http://www.alternativeherbals.net/science.html

Here are some interesting new articles on autism and cannabis. One of the authors of these autism articles is the same person that put together the glossary of research terminology that I referenced earlier in this thread.

http://www.medicaljane.com/ailment/autism/

Here are some interesting new articles on autism and cannabis. One of the authors of these autism articles is the same person that put together the glossary of research terminology that I referenced earlier in this thread.

http://www.medicaljane.com/ailment/autism/

While the preclinical research appears promising, it’s important to note that preclinical research doesn’t always translate into clinical efficacy; although, anecdotal reports of success do lend themselves to the idea of promise.

Anecdotal reports of success. Well now, there you have it.....Bob is stoned again.

While the preclinical research appears promising, it’s important to note that preclinical research doesn’t always translate into clinical efficacy; although, anecdotal reports of success do lend themselves to the idea of promise.

Anecdotal reports of success. Well now, there you have it.....Bob is stoned again.

Stoned and selling snake oil to desperate parents of autistic kids. Classy. But as long as pot heads can get rid of their guilt.....

Jim, you !@#$, how's the back?

The back is fantastic. You want what's left of the 1/8 I bought nearly a year ago that was supposed to relieve my pain?

I love how one of the things it can help with is "substance abuse."

Having trouble with crystal meth? Smoke a joint! :lol:

I tried to use it when I was drinking too much. I just ended up as a drunk stoner.

http://news.yahoo.com/first-church-of-cannabis--first-service-will-not-include-weed--155606099.html

First Church of Cannabis’ inaugural service will not include weed

Church founder Bill Levin, who anointed himself the Grand Pooh-bah and Minister of Love, asked his followers on Facebook to refrain from bringing pot, which they intended to smoke as a sacrament, to their inaugural meeting.
Levin, a 59-year-old carpenter, said that his Indianapolis-based house of worship would have a better chance securing its right to get high for spiritual purposes if his congregants were not dragged to criminal court.
Edited by unbillievable

The back is fantastic. You want what's left of the 1/8 I bought nearly a year ago that was supposed to relieve my pain?

I'll give you a buzz when I'm on the left coast next time.

This is a good collection of fairly recent studies. When reviewing the report, keep in mind that it is from the UK.

http://clear-uk.org/static/media/Reports/medicinal_cannabis-_the_evidence_v1.1.pdf

The report details an extraordinary quantity of peer-reviewed, published evidence that demonstrates the efficacy and safety of using cannabis to treat a wide range of conditions. It looks in detail at five therapeutic areas where the evidence is strongest: Alzheimer’s Disease, Cancer, Chronic Pain, Crohn’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis.

Peter Reynolds, author of the report, said:

“This review finally does away with the myth that there is no proof of the value of medicinal cannabis. There is high quality evidence available from dozens of different sources, including double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials. No one who examines the evidence can be in any doubt, any longer. This is a medicine that saves lives and rescues people from pain, suffering and disability with far fewer dangerous and unpleasant side effects than pharmaceutical products. We must move urgently to allow doctors to start prescribing and introduce professional training in the use of cannabis medicines”

This is a good collection of fairly recent studies. When reviewing the report, keep in mind that it is from the UK.

http://clear-uk.org/static/media/Reports/medicinal_cannabis-_the_evidence_v1.1.pdf

The report details an extraordinary quantity of peer-reviewed, published evidence that demonstrates the efficacy and safety of using cannabis to treat a wide range of conditions. It looks in detail at five therapeutic areas where the evidence is strongest: Alzheimer’s Disease, Cancer, Chronic Pain, Crohn’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis.

Peter Reynolds, author of the report, said:

“This review finally does away with the myth that there is no proof of the value of medicinal cannabis. There is high quality evidence available from dozens of different sources, including double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials. No one who examines the evidence can be in any doubt, any longer. This is a medicine that saves lives and rescues people from pain, suffering and disability with far fewer dangerous and unpleasant side effects than pharmaceutical products. We must move urgently to allow doctors to start prescribing and introduce professional training in the use of cannabis medicines”

In this case does the term "peer" mean another stoner?

• 1 month later...

Next time you hear that we need to do more research before approving cannabis as medicine, consider most FDA approved medicines get tested far, far less before approval.

Here is a list of clinical studies and surveys involving cannabis or cannabinoids. Make use of the search function to save time.

http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/study.php

Edited by Bob in Mich

"Cannabidiol for the treatment of cannabis withdrawal syndrome: a case report".

What can be better - you take cannabis as a cure for cannabis withdrawal. I've heard heroin stops heroin withdrawal, too.

For anxiety and PTSD: "Cannabidiol enhances consolidation of explicit fear extinction in humans."

I have no idea what explicit fear extinction is so I googled it - every entry on at least the first page had something to do with cannabis.

Next time you hear that we need to do more research before approving cannabis as medicine, consider most FDA approved medicines get tested far, far less before approval.

Here is a list of clinical studies and surveys involving cannabis or cannabinoids. Make use of the search function to save time.

Thanks for curing Bruce DeHaven

Next time you see a list of clinical studies involving cannabis or cannabinoids, consider that most of those studies are non-clinical and largely bull ****.

"Cannabidiol for the treatment of cannabis withdrawal syndrome: a case report".

What can be better - you take cannabis as a cure for cannabis withdrawal. I've heard heroin stops heroin withdrawal, too.

For anxiety and PTSD: "Cannabidiol enhances consolidation of explicit fear extinction in humans."

I have no idea what explicit fear extinction is so I googled it - every entry on at least the first page had something to do with cannabis.

Some of the scientific/medical terms can be difficult to understand. As mentioned before, I am not a medical professional but following was how I read things.

- Cannabidiol, or CBD, is just one of the very many cannabinoids found in cannabis. This study points out that CBD, a non-psychoactive substance, can alleviate the withdrawal symptoms from giving up whole cannabis, including THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid.

- PTSD is a disorder where the mind cannot get certain disturbing memories to go away. CBD seems to allow those affected with this fear disorder to better compartmentalize those disturbing memories.

- PTSD is a disorder where the mind cannot get certain disturbing memories to go away. CBD seems to allow those affected with this fear disorder to better compartmentalize those disturbing memories.

In other words, pot causes memory loss and turns people into morons.

Some of the scientific/medical terms can be difficult to understand. As mentioned before, I am not a medical professional but following was how I read things.

- Cannabidiol, or CBD, is just one of the very many cannabinoids found in cannabis. This study points out that CBD, a non-psychoactive substance, can alleviate the withdrawal symptoms from giving up whole cannabis, including THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid.

Would this help my elderly mother to forget about her memory loss?

More total BS from you, B in M. Pot helps with a stroke? I guess I should have smoked up and my BP of 246/? and being 50 pounds heavier had nothing to do with it. According to your "medical data" they should have yused pot on me instead of the tPA thet gave me immediately after the stroke,

The thing you referenced cited "subjects" an then stated they were rats mice, and primates.

Edited by Wacka

More total BS from you, B in M. Pot helps with a stroke? I guess I should have smoked up and my BP of 246/? and being 50 pounds heavier had nothing to do with it. According to your "medical data" they should have yused pot on me instead of the tPA thet gave me immediately after the stroke,

The thing you referenced cited "subjects" an then stated they were rats mice, and primates.

PROBLEM: "Marijuana use is associated with an acute increase in caloric intake," goes the clinical jargon for popular lore. Still despite eating more while high (by some measures, over 600 extra calories per day), marijuana users' extra intake doesn't seem to be reflected in increased BMI. Indeed, studies have identified a reduced prevalence of obesity in the pot smoking community.

NJ logo.JPG

Green Space Means More for Satisfaction Than a Neighborhood's Average Income

How Yoga Alters Genes

Doctors' Word Choice Affects End-of-Life Decisions

METHODOLOGY: Researchers at the University of Nebraska, the Harvard School of Public Health, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center analyzed data from a nationally representative sample of over 4,600 adults. About 12 percent of the participants self-identified as current marijuana users, and another 42 percent reported having used the drug in the past. The participants were tested for various measures of blood sugar control: their fasting insulin and glucose levels; insulin resistance; cholesterol levels; and waist circumference.

RESULTS: Current marijuana users had significantly smaller waist circumference than participants who had never used marijuana, even after adjusting for factors like age, sex, tobacco and alcohol use, and physical activity levels. They also had higher levels of HDL ("good cholesterol"). The most significant differences between those who smoked marijuana and those who never or no longer did was that current smokers' insulin levels were reduced by 16 percent and their insulin resistance (a condition in which the body has trouble absorbing glucose from the bloodstream) was reduced by 17 percent.

People who had previously used marijuana, but not in the past thirty days, tended to have similar outcomes, but to a much lesser degree. In addition, none of these measures were impacted by how much marijuana people reported smoking.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/05/study-why-pot-smokers-are-skinnier/275846/

if you had smoked pot maybe you'd wouldn't be 50lbs overweight and had a stroke in the first place