Know anyone with a disease? Read this

This troll, me, has been a member on here since 2001 - about 3 years longer than you, Mr Adams. So, bite me. From my perspective you and Chano are the disruptive trolls in this thread.

JA joined in 2004. The previous JA incarnation has been around a bit longer.

This troll, me, has been a member on here since 2001 - about 3 years longer than you, Mr Adams. So, bite me. From my perspective you and Chano are the disruptive trolls in this thread.

For God's sake, 7 posts ago (just 2 of them mine), you defended my right to post here. What happened?

It is just information. Don't read the post if you aren't interested. How easy is that solution? Last I looked there were over 600 views so maybe there were readers that were interested other than you.

Was it the information on pets or.....Oh, I see! You must be a pharmacy rep and didn't like that tidbit on the vicodin side-effects, was that it?

This just in, trolling and disagreeing are synonymous

Anybody mention obesity as a disease? Stoner's like munchies, snacks. The Mary Jane surely can't be helping that "disease" and gratuitous calories people will consume.

Ask about obesity? Check out this article. Studies show that regular cannabis users are statistically less obese

http://www.cnn.com/2...etes/index.html

(TIME.com) -- Toking up may help marijuana users to stay slim and lower their risk of developing diabetes, according to the latest study, which suggests that cannabis compounds may help in controlling blood sugar.

Although marijuana has a well-deserved reputation for increasing appetite via what stoners call "the munchies," the new research, which was published in the American Journal of Medicine, is not the first to find that the drug has a two-faced relationship to weight.

Three prior studies have shown that marijuana users are less likely to be obese, have a lower risk for diabetes and have lower body-mass-index measurements. And these trends occurred despite the fact that they seemed to take in more calories. (continued at the link)

Edited by Bob in Mich

And this list of studies from the GW Pharmaceutical site http://www.gwpharm.com

Cannabinoid Publications in Metabolic Disease

The cannabinoid Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) ameliorates insulin sensitivity in two mouse models of obesity.

Wargent ET, Zaibi MS, Silvestri C, Hislop DC, Stocker CJ, Stott CG, Guy GW, Duncan M, Di Marzo V, Cawthorne MA. Nutr Diabetes. 2013 May 27;3:e68.

The endocannabinoid system in energy homeostasis and the etiopathology of metabolic disorders.

Silvestri C, Di Marzo V. Cell Metab. 2013 Apr 2;17(4):475-90.

Cannabinoids and Endocannabinoids in Metabolic Disorders with Focus on Diabetes

Di Marzo V, Piscitelli F, Mechoulam R. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2011;(203):75-104.

Cannabinoids inhibit insulin receptor signalling in pancreatic β-cells

Kim W, Doyle ME, Liu Z, Lao Q, Shin YK, Carlson OD, Kim HS, Thomas S, Napora JK, Lee EK, Moaddel R, Wang Y, Maudsley S, Martin B, Kulkarni RN, Egan JM. Diabetes. 2011 Apr;60(4):1198-209.

A role for the putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55 in the islets of Langerhans

Romero-Zerbo SY, Rafacho A, Díaz-Arteaga A, Suárez J, Quesada I, Imbernon M, Ross RA, Dieguez C, Rodríguez de Fonseca F, Nogueiras R, Nadal A, Bermúdez-Silva FJ. J Endocrinol. 2011 Nov;211(2):177-85.

Peripheral effects of the endocannabinoid system in energy homeostasis: adipose tissue, liver and skeletal muscle.

Silvestri C, Ligresti A, Di Marzo V. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2011 Sep;12(3):153-62.

Effect of dietary fat on endocannabinoids and related mediators: consequences on energy homeostasis, inflammation and mood.

Banni S, Di Marzo V. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Jan;54(1):82-92.

Synthetic and plant-derived cannabinoid receptor antagonists show hypophagic properties in fasted and non-fasted mice.

Riedel G, Fadda P, McKillop-Smith S, Pertwee RG, Platt B, Robinson L. Br J Pharmacol. 2009 Apr;156(7):1154-66

Lifestyle-induced metabolic inflexibility and accelerated ageing syndrome: insulin resistance, friend or foe?

Nunn AV, Bell JD, Guy GW. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2009 Apr 16;6:16.

Endocannabinoids, FOXO and the metabolic syndrome: redox, function and tipping point--the view from two systems.

Nunn AV, Guy GW, Bell JD. Immunobiology. 2010 Aug;215(8):617-28

The endocannabinoid system in metabolic control: a preface.

Di Marzo V. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Feb;23(1):vii-ix.

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice.

Weiss L, Zeira M, Reich S, Slavin S, Raz I, Mechoulam R, Gallily R. Neuropharmacology. 2008 Jan;54(1):244-9

Cannabidiol lowers incidence of diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice.

Weiss L, Zeira M, Reich S, Har-Noy M, Mechoulam R, Slavin S, Gallily R. Autoimmunity. 2006 Mar;39(2):143-51.

Edited by Bob in Mich

We get it, marijuana is magical.

Based on Bob's posts, I'd say the only problem with marijuana is that it doesn't come in the form of a breakfast cereal. How can something this helpful and nutritious NOT be poured out of a box to start everyone's day in the healthy, delicious way?

Funny you should ask.

Check out this link from Cheerios on a new cannabis based.....

ok, just kiddin, but now I can see that you are starting to come around

I guess I'll never understand how something that is SO good for you turns its chronic users into blathering idiots.

Ask about obesity? Check out these articles. Studies show that regular cannabis users are statistically less obese

http://www.cnn.com/2...etes/index.html

(TIME.com) -- Toking up may help marijuana users to stay slim and lower their risk of developing diabetes, according to the latest study, which suggests that cannabis compounds may help in controlling blood sugar.

Although marijuana has a well-deserved reputation for increasing appetite via what stoners call "the munchies," the new research, which was published in the American Journal of Medicine, is not the first to find that the drug has a two-faced relationship to weight.

Three prior studies have shown that marijuana users are less likely to be obese, have a lower risk for diabetes and have lower body-mass-index measurements. And these trends occurred despite the fact that they seemed to take in more calories. (continued at the link)

First off, your link doesn't work. Here's the actual link: http://www.amjmed.co...e/S0002-9343(13)00200-3/pdf Edit: This isn't working either. Go to AJM and search Murray A. Mittleman

Here's a CDC link with incidence of type 2 diagnosis by age: http://www.cdc.gov/d...cs/age/fig1.htm

I included the CDC link as a general relation of age related changes to body physiology

-The AJM study has 4600 particpation, 579 of which are current users which is only 12.2% of your study population to base your conclusions.

-45% of current users are under age 30, 60% of them also smoke tobacco, 77-78% of never or past users are over age 30 12% and 28% respectively smoke tobacco. Refer to cdc graph.

-Never used it is more racially mixed (~56% white) than past or current users (70-77% white).

-Currently using group is 66% male, 34 female. Other 2 groups are closer to 50/50.

-Directly from the paper page 586: Because people with diabetes mellitus may alter their marijuana use habits, we also performed a sensitivity analysis excluding participants with diabetes mellitus.

Hmmm. Not a huge percent of the study population but I do wonder if they also excluded diabetes participants from the "never used" group. Trust me, don't assume they did. Seems to me they could have addressed this in the survey! Certainly very convenient to exclude diabetes patients with their higher numbers from the much smaller "currently using" group.

-Non users have never smoked it, past users smoked from once in their life to not within the past 30 days, and current users at least once in the past 30 days.

So someone who smoked it once as a teenager and is now 59 is lumped in with someone who smoked regularly for years but gave it up 30 days ago. Not a good way to classify this group.

Sorry Bob, not the smelliest study I have seen but right up there. Physicians are required to have a certain # of research publications as part of their training and quite a few of them choose to pore over vast libraries of collected study data hoping to ferret out statistically significant correlations which may or may not be a false positive. Doesn't matter to them as long as it gets published. There's a good chance that happened here, And yes, it happens in prestigious journals like AJM all the time.

Personally, I don't put much weight in these results.

Your second reference with the pretty picture and orphan receptor has no relevance to the marijuana discussion from what I can see. Did I miss something about it?

Edited by GaryPinC

My cnn link worked just fine for me http://www.cnn.com/2...etes/index.html Edit: I understand now that you mean the link within the CNN article.

I had a non-cannabis article copied into my earlier post. You were correct. I had gotten carried away with my cutting and pasting and included a non-cannabis FOX article. Sorry about that and thanks for catching it. I have removed it. It was a cool picture though, eh?

Gary, if the study underlying the CNN article is flawed, I will take your word for it.

Edited by Bob in Mich

And this list of studies from the GW Pharmaceutical site http://www.gwpharm.com

Cannabinoid Publications in Metabolic Disease

The cannabinoid Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) ameliorates insulin sensitivity in two mouse models of obesity.

Wargent ET, Zaibi MS, Silvestri C, Hislop DC, Stocker CJ, Stott CG, Guy GW, Duncan M, Di Marzo V, Cawthorne MA. Nutr Diabetes. 2013 May 27;3:e68.

The endocannabinoid system in energy homeostasis and the etiopathology of metabolic disorders.

Silvestri C, Di Marzo V. Cell Metab. 2013 Apr 2;17(4):475-90.

Cannabinoids and Endocannabinoids in Metabolic Disorders with Focus on Diabetes

Di Marzo V, Piscitelli F, Mechoulam R. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2011;(203):75-104.

Cannabinoids inhibit insulin receptor signalling in pancreatic β-cells

Kim W, Doyle ME, Liu Z, Lao Q, Shin YK, Carlson OD, Kim HS, Thomas S, Napora JK, Lee EK, Moaddel R, Wang Y, Maudsley S, Martin B, Kulkarni RN, Egan JM. Diabetes. 2011 Apr;60(4):1198-209.

A role for the putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55 in the islets of Langerhans

Romero-Zerbo SY, Rafacho A, Díaz-Arteaga A, Suárez J, Quesada I, Imbernon M, Ross RA, Dieguez C, Rodríguez de Fonseca F, Nogueiras R, Nadal A, Bermúdez-Silva FJ. J Endocrinol. 2011 Nov;211(2):177-85.

Peripheral effects of the endocannabinoid system in energy homeostasis: adipose tissue, liver and skeletal muscle.

Silvestri C, Ligresti A, Di Marzo V. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2011 Sep;12(3):153-62.

Effect of dietary fat on endocannabinoids and related mediators: consequences on energy homeostasis, inflammation and mood.

Banni S, Di Marzo V. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Jan;54(1):82-92.

Synthetic and plant-derived cannabinoid receptor antagonists show hypophagic properties in fasted and non-fasted mice.

Riedel G, Fadda P, McKillop-Smith S, Pertwee RG, Platt B, Robinson L. Br J Pharmacol. 2009 Apr;156(7):1154-66

Lifestyle-induced metabolic inflexibility and accelerated ageing syndrome: insulin resistance, friend or foe?

Nunn AV, Bell JD, Guy GW. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2009 Apr 16;6:16.

Endocannabinoids, FOXO and the metabolic syndrome: redox, function and tipping point--the view from two systems.

Nunn AV, Guy GW, Bell JD. Immunobiology. 2010 Aug;215(8):617-28

The endocannabinoid system in metabolic control: a preface.

Di Marzo V. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Feb;23(1):vii-ix.

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice.

Weiss L, Zeira M, Reich S, Slavin S, Raz I, Mechoulam R, Gallily R. Neuropharmacology. 2008 Jan;54(1):244-9

Cannabidiol lowers incidence of diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice.

Weiss L, Zeira M, Reich S, Har-Noy M, Mechoulam R, Slavin S, Gallily R. Autoimmunity. 2006 Mar;39(2):143-51.

For your own sake don't ignore my earlier advice about crusading.

For your own sake don't ignore my earlier advice about crusading.

I find it odd that you have no issue with nonsensical postings about McDonalds queues, breakfast cereals, Dickey Do Disease, and magical cowbells but my post, technically a response to a question on obesity with links to research studies on cannabinoids, is the one that has ruffled feathers and has become problematic.

The information is contained within a single 'off topic' thread about cannabis and health problems. There is no board take over, turning every conversation to a single subject.

What is inappropriate about linking to research studies on GW Pharma site? They are probably the premier cannabis research company in the world today.

Edited by Bob in Mich