What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Florida deputies will carry rifles on school grounds after Parkland shooting

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/02/21/florida-deputies-will-carry-rifles-on-school-grounds-after-parkland-shooting/23367925/

Never thought of that before. A police officer with vest and rifle on his back might be a better deterrent. On a campus with multiple bldgs would need a officer in each one. They need to keep all entrance doors locked and video monitor who to buzz in . That still leaves a student with a hand gun could be inside. Better background checks and higher age would help. 

11 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Number 1: a bad question because there are too many caveats to consider to just blindly answer that question, not the least of which is "who's holding the handgun and who's holding the rifle?" Also, what kind of bullets? You want to point a semiautomatic .22 caliber rifle at a person holding a .45 caliber handgun in it? You better make sure you aim well and often.

Number 2: which state are you referring to?

Number 3: What the hell are you asking?

Number 2:   Any state.  silly question to my question   why would it be only a select "group of states"  Shootings happen across the US. 

Last weeks massacre marked the 25th fatal shooting at a U.S. elementary, middle or high school since — and including — Columbine in 1999.  

There have been eight school shootings in 2018. And it's only February

Number 3:   How much simpler of a question do I need to ask?    Let me try to rephrase it. 

Does each and every teacher selected to carry a concealed weapon in their classroom have to purchase their own gun and pay for their "training classes"  or  will each school individual school have to cover the cost? 

If it is the latter do the guns would remain on school property when the teacher ends their work day? 

How many schools are there across America  you ask?   ~ 100 thousand 

A small price to pay to save a life I would guess.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not a liberal when it comes to guns.  Banning "assault rifles" (good luck defining what does and doesn't constitute as one) won't do a darn thing.  I'm fine with enhanced background checks, but there's so many more effective things we can do to prevent what happened in Florida from happening again.  Plus, I do have an irrational fear of a tyrannical government takeover.

Thanks for your usually honest answer, this issue is so hard to grasp outside the US, it is what it is.

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Just prayers?  Where's our thoughts?  We need THOUGHTS and prayers, goddammit!

Thoughts lead one to realize prayers are vital here, better than bad but well-intentioned internet arguments. This can’t go on with the status quo.

48 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Number 2:   Any state.  silly question to my question   why would it be only a select "group of states"  Shootings happen across the US. 

Last weeks massacre marked the 25th fatal shooting at a U.S. elementary, middle or high school since — and including — Columbine in 1999.  

There have been eight school shootings in 2018. And it's only February

Number 3:   How much simpler of a question do I need to ask?    Let me try to rephrase it. 

Does each and every teacher selected to carry a concealed weapon in their classroom have to purchase their own gun and pay for their "training classes"  or  will each school individual school have to cover the cost? 

If it is the latter do the guns would remain on school property when the teacher ends their work day? 

How many schools are there across America  you ask?   ~ 100 thousand 

A small price to pay to save a life I would guess.  

As a former high school teacher, I think that less guns in a school is better.   I wouldn't want to be carrying a gun as a teacher. Would kids steal it from me?  I would always have to be concerned where it is.  Can I use it on a kid that is being a total douchebag?  ( last sentence is a joke ). 

But in all seriousness.  I was hired to teach, not to be Bruce Willis from Die Hard.

America First!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, KW95 said:

As a former high school teacher, I think that less guns in a school is better.   I wouldn't want to be carrying a gun as a teacher. Would kids steal it from me?  I would always have to be concerned where it is.  Can I use it on a kid that is being a total douchebag?  ( last sentence is a joke ). 

But in all seriousness.  I was hired to teach, not to be Bruce Willis from Die Hard.

America First!

If you're too scared to do it then we can hire more armed police for the school

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

If you're too scared to do it then we can hire more armed police for the school

An easier solution would be not to sell Military Guns to the non military population...but hey..

AMERICA FIRST!  ( or second in regards to the Constitution )

shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't I send my kid to school without worrying about Armed Police or AR15's, etc...

You guys have gotten so delusional it boggles my mind.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, KW95 said:

An easier solution would be not to sell Military Guns to the non military population...but hey..

AMERICA FIRST!  ( or second in regards to the Constitution )

shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't I send my kid to school without worrying about Armed Police or AR15's, etc...

You guys have gotten so delusional it boggles my mind.

What's a military gun?

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not a liberal when it comes to guns.  Banning "assault rifles" (good luck defining what does and doesn't constitute as one) won't do a darn thing.  I'm fine with enhanced background checks, but there's so many more effective things we can do to prevent what happened in Florida from happening again.  Plus, I do have an irrational fear of a tyrannical government takeover.

Actually you are not a liberal at all, stop pretending. Seriously

Any weapon that can fire rounds and rounds without needing it to be reloaded before killing at least 15-20 people needs to be banned. Any weapon that can blow out a human's brain and make them non identifiable should be banned.

I'm all for practice shooting and having it as a sport.  but Jesus Christ, there has to be a way to stop this crap from going on.

Most common sense people don't want to take the 99% of the good people's guns away.  Go hunting, go practice shoot. Arm yourself with a gun for safety. IM all for that. Just take the weapons that mass destruct in a few seconds off of the market.

I can't explain it better than this and I can't understand the other side of someone wanting to own an AR-15 for fun.  

Cheers all,

Good luck

I

• Like (+1) 2

Oh great. Now an unstable kid might snap and hit the teacher in the back of the head while she’s writing on the board, find her/his gun and go to work on his classmates. Perfect. What can go wrong with this idea?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Justice said:

Oh great. Now an unstable kid might snap and hit the teacher in the back of the head while she’s writing on the board, find her/his gun and go to work on his classmates. Perfect. What can go wrong with this idea?

They could just wait till school is letting out get them outside. They can attack the bus, instead. Are not these attackers also suicidal? It's like making suicide bombings a capital offense.

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have a question .....

DD suggests a % of teachers carry concealed weapon after they get proper training.  

1)  what are the chances of a hand gun against a semiautomatic rifle of some sort. 

2) what training is mandatory for a person under 20 who wants the buy one of these type weapons?

3) who purchases the weapons and pays for the training?

3 actually. 

1. It's dependent on several factors, most important being the level of training.  Ambush/counter ambush, ammunition, awareness, having a plan, putting the first shot on target.  Armed good guys win the fight against armed bad guys every day.  I'd lay money on a well-trained concealed carrier up against a random nutbag with a rifle in a close quarters setting any day.

2. Depends on the state (and the weapon?  I'm not sure but I assume you're talking about handguns).  Some states require a simple pistol safety class.  Some require that you take an "advanced" class on carrying concealed.  No state that I'm aware of requires any sort of CQC-type training.  Many states don't allow someone under 21 to buy a handgun.  I assume whoever wants teachers to carry concealed would want them to take CQC and active shooter training in the context of carrying a concealed handgun.

3. In theory this wouldn't be mandatory so they would pay for their own weapon, ammo, and training.  I'm sure there are plenty of firearms and tactics instructors who would be happy to give discounted classes specifically for teachers.

4 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Any weapon that can fire rounds and rounds without needing it to be reloaded before killing at least 15-20 people needs to be banned. Any weapon that can blow out a human's brain and make them non identifiable should be banned.

Weird, I manage to reload my AR all the time and it's never killed anyone.  I should send it back to the manufacturer I guess, must be a defect.  Better turn in my hammers, lord knows after a few blows I could wreck someone's teeth and face enough to make them non identifiable.

6 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Most common sense people don't want to take the 99% of the good people's guns away.  Just take the weapons that mass destruct in a few seconds off of the market.

"I don't want to take good people's guns away.  I just want to take good people's guns away."  Good work, hoss.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It would seem to reason that if arming teachers had the intended outcome of deterring shootings at schools that the perps would just then pick a mall, park, etc. where there isn't an armed deterrent. How it isn't obvious that this solution is ridiculous and simply a bandaid is beyond reason. 

Using the the same flawed logic that arming teachers is the answer only serves to bring about the arming of every citizen, which is exactly what the NRA wants.

• Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, KW95 said:

I'm all for practice shooting and having it as a sport.  but Jesus Christ, there has to be a way to stop this crap from going on.

Most common sense people don't want to take the 99% of the good people's guns away.  Go hunting, go practice shoot. Arm yourself with a gun for safety. IM all for that. Just take the weapons that mass destruct in a few seconds off of the market.

I can't explain it better than this and I can't understand the other side of someone wanting to own an AR-15 for fun.  

Cheers all,

Good luck

I

Ban sledgehammers!

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

1. It's dependent on several factors, most important being the level of training.  Ambush/counter ambush, ammunition, awareness, having a plan, putting the first shot on target.  Armed good guys win the fight against armed bad guys every day.  I'd lay money on a well-trained concealed carrier up against a random nutbag with a rifle in a close quarters setting any day.

2. Depends on the state (and the weapon?  I'm not sure but I assume you're talking about handguns).  Some states require a simple pistol safety class.  Some require that you take an "advanced" class on carrying concealed.  No state that I'm aware of requires any sort of CQC-type training.  Many states don't allow someone under 21 to buy a handgun.  I assume whoever wants teachers to carry concealed would want them to take CQC and active shooter training in the context of carrying a concealed handgun.

3. In theory this wouldn't be mandatory so they would pay for their own weapon, ammo, and training.  I'm sure there are plenty of firearms and tactics instructors who would be happy to give discounted classes specifically for teachers.

2  - According to DD, they would be "concealed carry" so I would think it would be hard to conceal a rifle of any kind.  

3  -  :thumbsup: 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

2  - According to DD, they would be "concealed carry" so I would think it would be hard to conceal a rifle of any kind.  

3  -  :thumbsup: 

Re: 2; I wasn't sure if every question was in the context of CCW or not, since you had asked about a handgun's chance vs. a rifle in 1.

Re: 3; did Trump say he wanted it to be mandatory?  I haven't closely followed his remarks about all this.