What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Who Goes to Prison Due to Gun Control?

According to the U.S. Sentencing Commission, for Fiscal Year 2011, 49.6% of those sentenced to federal incarceration with a primary offense of firearms violations were black, 20.6% were Hispanic, and only 27.5% were white.

This is how gun laws actually work—those caught violating them go to prison.

For the mere act of owning an illegal weapon—not necessarily for using it, not for threatening anyone with it, not for being irresponsible with it—people who have harmed no one are locked up in prison for years at a time.

As with the rest of the criminal justice system, particularly the war on drugs, these laws disproportionately harm the poor and minorities. That is the inescapable reality of gun control.

Democrats should be made to talk about this

45 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Who Goes to Prison Due to Gun Control?

According to the U.S. Sentencing Commission, for Fiscal Year 2011, 49.6% of those sentenced to federal incarceration with a primary offense of firearms violations were black, 20.6% were Hispanic, and only 27.5% were white.

This is how gun laws actually work—those caught violating them go to prison.

For the mere act of owning an illegal weapon—not necessarily for using it, not for threatening anyone with it, not for being irresponsible with it—people who have harmed no one are locked up in prison for years at a time.

As with the rest of the criminal justice system, particularly the war on drugs, these laws disproportionately harm the poor and minorities. That is the inescapable reality of gun control.

Democrats should be made to talk about this

Is the proper response to this #FakeNews, or #Consensus?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have a question .....

DD suggests a % of teachers carry concealed weapon after they get proper training.  

1)  what are the chances of a hand gun against a semiautomatic rifle of some sort. 

2) what training is mandatory for a person under 20 who wants the buy one of these type weapons?

3) who purchases the weapons and pays for the training?

3 actually. 

The chances someone with a handgun has against someone with an ar15 in a setting like a school are pretty good. Given the choice, I'd much rather be the teacher with the handgun than the shooter with the rifle.

1 hour ago, sodbuster said:

The chances someone with a handgun has against someone with an ar15 in a setting like a school are pretty good. Given the choice, I'd much rather be the teacher with the handgun than the shooter with the rifle.

I'm assuming we'd all rather be the teacher than the maniac with the rifle.  My fear is I'd miss the gunman and kill a student.  I know we don't want this to be a police state, but I think an armed trained security guard at every school is a better idea.

41 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm assuming we'd all rather be the teacher than the maniac with the rifle.  My fear is I'd miss the gunman and kill a student.  I know we don't want this to be a police state, but I think an armed trained security guard at every school is a better idea.

I'd hit the student but I would not be missing. !@#$ everyone!

41 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Even as a Conservative Canadian I marvel at how US liberals have to accept certain facts about guns that make the rest of the free world wonder if this is Alice in Wonderland.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

?

The free world thinks the US is totally insane the way it insists on gun possession like its oxygen. Even US liberals have to toe a certain line that is crazy enough.

Totally batshit !@#$ing hair on fire insane.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

The free world thinks the US is totally insane the way it insists on gun possession like its oxygen. Even US liberals have to toe a certain line that is crazy enough.

Are talking about the "free world" that only became free after the US fought and won their freedom?

That free world?

I wouldn't expect somebody whose country wasn't born through revolution to understand.  It's easy to throw stones at the fighters from the sidelines.

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The free world doesn't have a history of armed opposition to tyranny written directly in to their government charter.  The free world also doesn't have a history of avoiding the establishment of standing armies in favor of popular militias - even France doesn't have that history to the same degree the United States has, and 1790's Republican France invented the concept of the mass popular army.

1yNI-oqp_bigger.jpgDavid FrenchVerified account @DavidAFrench

FollowFollow @DavidAFrench
The demonization of gun rights advocates is not going to have the intended effect. The gun-owners I know aspire to be the kind of people who would lay down their lives for others. The jeering and screaming slanders their character and strengthens their resolve.

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I know, DC Tom, and I side with those who take a strong protection of the 2nd amendment, but it’s still beyond insane to us.....

That's strictly because you're projecting your cultural values on to us.  You hate it when we do that to the rest of you.

It makes perfect sense and is not the least bit insane when you look at history, and stop pretending America is a post-war Western European country.  

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Even as a Conservative Canadian I marvel at how US liberals have to accept certain facts about guns that make the rest of the free world wonder if this is Alice in Wonderland.

I'm not a liberal when it comes to guns.  Banning "assault rifles" (good luck defining what does and doesn't constitute as one) won't do a darn thing.  I'm fine with enhanced background checks, but there's so many more effective things we can do to prevent what happened in Florida from happening again.  Plus, I do have an irrational fear of a tyrannical government takeover.

Edited by Doc Brown

7 hours ago, sodbuster said:

You're an idiot. Really, truly, genuinely. You should not be allowed to own any gun. You probably own 10.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not a liberal when it comes to guns.  Banning "assault rifles" (good luck defining what does and doesn't constitute as one) won't do a darn thing.  I'm fine with enhanced background checks, but there's so many more effective things we can do to prevent what happened in Florida from happening again.  Plus, I do have an irrational fear of a tyrannical government takeover.

You're an idiot. Facts would be useless on you. You live in a fantasy world.

12 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Guns don't hurt others.

People hurt others. You can pass a federal law stating that all Americans can only have one gun and one bullet each for their entire life, and wake up tomorrow to find out people are still hurting people with guns, and you probably won't even see a drop in what you see today because the one undeniable fact...which Chicago illustrates...is that when people want to kill people, they find a way regardless of your opinion or law.

And there will be no solution, now or ever, because the biggest megaphones belong to the batschitcraziest people, and neither are interested in what the other has to say because they care more about making a point than finding a solution. 

You are an idiot. You're a racist cynical lazy old man and your best anecdotes are about installing Fabio's speaker system and your posts are so vile it almost make me want to like Tim Graham out of spite. TIM GRAHAM!! You idiot. 

Edited by LA Grant
  • Like (+1) 1