What is better, no guns, or more guns?

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You get guns.  No one is saying you don't.  I'm not.  But please explain why the type of weapons that can fire large numbers of rounds are necessary.  I'm willing to listen.  Explain vs. just rant.

I'm not saying you want to eliminate personal ownership of firearms, what I'm saying is you're doing all taking and no giving in this situation, whereas I am doing all giving and get nothing in return.

See, a compromise would be something like this: both sides work together to find a way to better fund mental health services in the US.

Not something like this: you give up your scary black guns and 30 round magazines.  That's it.

17 minutes ago, Azalin said:

If I called you a Goddamned idiot would that be a religious statement?

I sanction this usage of "idiot" with the official DC Tom "You're an Idiot" seal of approval.

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Pro-life anti healthcare. 

Yes, you sh it heads really care about life 

Republicans just want to abort grandma!

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you TWICE used the name of God and a Creator in your rights as an American and then pretended this wasn't a religious reference

sorry i saw that as religious, how could i possibly do that???

you lost, pal...

can you link your views that don't see God or a Creator as religious in intent and nature?

The entire concept of rights began with religion.

Prior to the Enlightenment, only one man had rights in a nation, and his claim on those rights was that they were granted to him by divine providence, IE The Right of Kings.

Enlightenment philosophers made the religious argument that we are all created in God's image, and therefore all enjoyed the same natural rights granted by providence.  This is where the entire concept of natural rights comes from.  This is where every single argument anyone makes in favor of any rights rests their priori , as rights are not the same as privileges.  Rights are intrinsic to your humanity which is what makes their violation a "wrong".  Privileges are not rights.  They are not intrinsic to your being.  There is nothing "wrong" about removing someone's privilege, as someone had to first grant that privilege, and the Granter of Privilege is the only one who has any rights, as this is a might makes right philosophy.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

The entire concept of rights began with religion.

Prior to the Enlightenment, only one man had rights in a nation, and his claim on those rights was that he granted the by divine providence, IE The Right of Kings.

Only if you're being extremely Eurocentric.  Which is not unreasonable when discussing the Constitution, since Enlightenment philosophy is ultimately its foundation.

But it's not correct, either.

Just now, DC Tom said:

Only if you're being extremely Eurocentric.  Which is not unreasonable when discussing the Constitution, since Enlightenment philosophy is ultimately its foundation.

But it's not correct, either.

For the purposes of this discussion it's correct though, for exactly the reasons you stated.

we can all have our little pet theories about how we got here and how the US got its Law and how it's evolved

but when you bring it out in public it is going to be sifted, like Satan sought to sift Peter...

and sometimes your precious little feelings will get hurt when you are called out for total bull ****

4 hours ago, Justice said:

Difference is drugs mainly hurts the user. Guns hurt others. 

Guns don't hurt others.

People hurt others. You can pass a federal law stating that all Americans can only have one gun and one bullet each for their entire life, and wake up tomorrow to find out people are still hurting people with guns, and you probably won't even see a drop in what you see today because the one undeniable fact...which Chicago illustrates...is that when people want to kill people, they find a way regardless of your opinion or law.

And there will be no solution, now or ever, because the biggest megaphones belong to the batschitcraziest people, and neither are interested in what the other has to say because they care more about making a point than finding a solution. 

I have a question .....

DD suggests a % of teachers carry concealed weapon after they get proper training.  

1)  what are the chances of a hand gun against a semiautomatic rifle of some sort. 

2) what training is mandatory for a person under 20 who wants the buy one of these type weapons?

3) who purchases the weapons and pays for the training?

3 actually. 

51 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have a question .....

DD suggests a % of teachers carry concealed weapon after they get proper training.  

1)  what are the chances of a hand gun against a semiautomatic rifle of some sort. 

2) what training is mandatory for a person under 20 who wants the buy one of these type weapons?

3) who purchases the weapons and pays for the training?

3 actually. 

Number 1: a bad question because there are too many caveats to consider to just blindly answer that question, not the least of which is "who's holding the handgun and who's holding the rifle?" Also, what kind of bullets? You want to point a semiautomatic .22 caliber rifle at a person holding a .45 caliber handgun in it? You better make sure you aim well and often.

Number 2: which state are you referring to?

Number 3: What the hell are you asking?