Would you cut London Fletcher for

JP-era

Bell is a UFA. My buddy says that the Steelers may let him walk.

I think I might. HE has an injury concern but has been a stud in the past as far as sacks go.

Fletcher would save us 1.6 mil if released. Set to make 3.8 and would have a 1.6 hit if cut.

Fletcher the past few years:

YEAR TEAM G GS TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD

1998 STL 16 1 12 11 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0

1999 STL 16 16 90 69 21 2 3.0 0 0 0 0 0

2000 STL 16 15 133 106 27 8 5.5 1 0 4 33 0

2001 STL 16 16 119 93 26 5 4.5 4 0 2 18 0

2002 BUF 16 16 149 108 41 2 3.0 2 2 0 0 0

2003 BUF 16 16 133 102 31 5 2.0 0 1 0 0 0

2004 BUF 16 16 144 101 43 4 3.5 2 1 0 0 0

CAREER 112 -- 780 590 190 26 21.5 9 -- 6 51 0

Kendrell the past few years:

YEAR TEAM G GS TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD

2001 PIT 16 16 82 71 11 1 9.0 1 0 0 0 0

2002 PIT 12 12 50 37 13 2 4.0 0 1 0 0 0

2003 PIT 16 16 100 86 14 3 5.0 1 1 1 61 0

2004 PIT 3 0 8 6 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0

CAREER 47 -- 240 200 40 6 18.0 2 -- 1 61 0

Fletcher is 29 to be 30. Bell is 26 set to be 27.

Fletcher is 5' 10" 245

Bell is 6' 1" 257

Do we go with youth and a better chance for a sack? or a vet who gets lots of tackles even solo?

the 3-4 and the 4-3 are diffrent systems. these diffrent systems result in diffrent stats for the players. it is diffcult to predict how a LB will do in a 4-3 when he has played his whole carrer in the 3-4.

fletcher is proven. why change.

i nominate this for "worst idea of the off-season".........ain't going to happen, nor should it.........fletch isn't going anywhere..........

217975[/snapback]

Did you see the "Henry for Fiedler trade" idea yesterday....? :)

This is up there...

you're forgetting - pp-era has to fulfill his quota of at least one absolutely drop-dead ridiculous post per day. remember yesterday's? that tom brady isn't very good?

218009[/snapback]

But he isn't very good.

He's better than very good.

Fletcher would save us 1.6 mil if released. Set to make 3.8 and would have a 1.6 hit if cut.

The 1.6 mil we would save by cutting Fletcher would not benefit us at all financially based upon the fact it would take probably at least that to sign Bell.

then there is the whole chemistry thing, and knowing the system. Not to mention the fact the Fletcher is a great MLB

Last time I checked our D wasn't broken, so why would you want to fix it ?

IF he's recovered from his groin injury Kendrell Bell is a MUCH better football player than London Fletcher. Fletcher has some serious liabilities. He can't cover at all, how many times did someone either complete a long pass up the seam or have Fletcher get PI? He's a leader in negative plays. How many times did Fletcher rough the QB and extend drives this season? The answer to both those questions is many. I would guess that he led the team in BOTH those categories this year.

The problem with this thread is, while the Steelers MAY let him walk, it won't be because they don't like him as a football player, it will be because he's too expensive to keep and they also have Larry Foote as an RFA they can plug in.

I would rather spend our cap money on other places this off-season. We focus on cap "savings" if a player is cut. Well it isn't savings if you sign a player that makes more than you saved, it's extra. Fletcher counts 1.6 if cut, Bell would make at least 3, thats 4.6 mil for the MLB position. I'd rather have an OT.

I think it is a bad idea, but I am not going to jump all over you like a smug, pseudo-intellectual a-hole because you made a suggestion on a message board.

218284[/snapback]

thats because you made a suggestion that was just as, if not more retarded than this one yesterday...

for the record, no way in hell with i ditch fletch for bell...this is football with team chemistry, not madden on your playstation...

Fletcher has some serious liabilities.  He can't cover at all, how many times did someone either complete a long pass up the seam or have Fletcher get PI?  He's a leader in negative plays.  How many times did Fletcher rough the QB and extend drives this season?  The answer to both those questions is many.  I would guess that he led the team in BOTH those categories this year.

218332[/snapback]

I disagree somewhat.

1st when a LB is covering a pass play downfield he is covering for a screw up in the secondary. I don't know of any LB who is the primary Defender responsible for downfield recievers.

Although Fletcher did have some bad timed penalties, at least 1/2 of then were very questionable. I remember more then once watching Fletcher barely scrape a QB and get flagged.

I like London, and personally believe he does not need ot be even considered for replacement.

Do we go with youth and a better chance for a sack? or a vet who gets lots of tackles even solo?

the basic question should be do we go with production over bull sh--?

ps... kendrell bell is not even worthy enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as London Fletcher (oops... i did it anyway)

London has had some stupid penalties at inopportune times, but this guy is a leader, a ST standout, a playmaker, covers backs, TEs, WRs..... why would you even consider replacing him with kendrell bell? In fact, in terms of the number of plays he's on the field and the number of plays he makes calculated with his salary, and there's only two names that can be mentioned along side his as a possible replacement... that would be Ray Lewis or Teddy Bruschi.... and please, name me a MLB that has played and started every game for his team over the past 3 seasons (not those two).... I can't think of any... at least not of Fletcher's quality.

Fletcher = Value, PLUS!!!

the basic question should be do we go with production over bull sh--?

ps... kendrell bell is not even worthy enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as London Fletcher (oops... i did it anyway)

London has had some stupid penalties at inopportune times, but this guy is a leader, a ST standout, a playmaker, covers backs, TEs, WRs..... why would you even consider replacing him with kendrell bell?  In fact, in terms of the number of plays he's on the field and the number of plays he makes calculated with his salary, and there's only two names that can be mentioned along side his as a possible replacement... that would be Ray Lewis or Teddy Bruschi.... and please, name me a MLB that has played and started every game for his team over the past 3 seasons (not those two).... I can't think of any... at least not of Fletcher's quality.

Fletcher = Value, PLUS!!!

218360[/snapback]

Because sacks are sexy to people who don't actually know much about football.

Because sacks are sexy to people who don't actually know much about football.

Hence the reason people want us to drop all of our available cap $$ on John Abraham or another DE, when Schobel/Kelsey will be very good this year. :P

Watch for Kelsey to have a breakout year.

thats because you made a suggestion that was just as, if not more retarded than this one yesterday...

for the record, no way in hell with i ditch fletch for bell...this is football with team chemistry, not madden on your playstation...

218341[/snapback]

Take a timeout from being a judgemental dope, and consider that just because you, in your eternal wisdom, do not agree with a suggestion on a message board, it may not be a "retarded" suggestion.

Is that too much to ponder? OK, I will dumb it down for you!

Neither you nor I are GMs of an NFL team. There are reasons for this. With me so far? Your views, however much esteem you hold them in, are as likely to be wrong as are mine.

You can sit there smirking, and type away with a smug and all knowing attitude, but trust me, you and I are just fans on a message board. It would suit you well to stop playing expert and accept this truth. OK Coach Parcells? :P :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Fleacher would be picked up so fast by Belichick....

BB loves the guy.  I dunno why the lot of you hate him so much.

218379[/snapback]

Well...if Belicheck loves him he must be the best we can do then....

BTW, Fletcher would drive BB insane, he plays all over the place, he guesses alot, and jumps into holes, sometimes it's good sometimes it makes 10 yard runs or worse. BB wants a guy who will play where he's supposed to play all the time...a system guy. Fletcher is a lot of things but "system guy" is not one of them.

Well...if Belicheck loves him he must be the best we can do then....

BTW, Fletcher would drive BB insane, he plays all over the place, he guesses alot, and jumps into holes, sometimes it's good sometimes it makes 10 yard runs or worse.  BB wants a guy who will play where he's supposed to play all the time...a system guy.  Fletcher is a lot of things but "system guy" is not one of them.

218399[/snapback]

Pats already have a guy like that. His name is Teddy Bruschi.

I disagree somewhat.

1st when a LB is covering a pass play downfield he is covering for a screw up in the secondary. I don't know of any LB who is the primary Defender responsible for downfield recievers.

Although Fletcher did have some bad timed penalties, at least 1/2 of then were very questionable. I remember more then once watching Fletcher barely scrape a QB and get flagged.

I like London, and personally believe he does not need ot be even considered for replacement.

218347[/snapback]

LBs can be responsible for coverage downfield, if it's a zone it can be the MLBs job to get as deep as possible to cover that area, also, he can be in man coverage with a TE or slot WR down the field, those are the plays I am referring to.

Also, it doesn't matter if the penalties were questionable or not, they still happened and they happened more than once. Each time it was because he came at the QB out of control and that will CONTINUE to be flagged whether we like it or not.

Unfortunately this isn't just a talent conversation. Fletcher is good for the $$ he makes. It will cost us more to get someone better and we have other priorities at this point.