Face of the Franchise???

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/07/05/who-is-face-of-bills-franchise/

After reading this article it got me to thinking what should be taken into account for what exactly makes the "face of a franchise".

While M. Williams is definitely a great player, I do not believe he has all the necessary "criteria" for a franchise face.

Not only do they need to be an impact player, but there are several other factors that should be taken into consideration as well before one can be dubbed as the face of the franchise. Leadership, on and off the field. Interaction with the fans and general public. What is that person's overall marketability. I am sure I am leaving a few things out.

With the Bill's getting little national recognition, I can see why the author chose Williams as his choice for face of the franchise.

With that being said, I would like to hear everybody's thoughts on who they feel is the face of the franchise and why.

Edited by FLbills

http://blogs.buffalo...ills-franchise/

After reading this article it got me to thinking what should be taken into account for what exactly makes the "face of a franchise".

While M. Williams is definitely a great player, I do not believe he has all the necessary "criteria" for a franchise face.

Not only do they need to be an impact player, but there are several other factors that should be taken into consideration as well before one can be dubbed as the face of the franchise. Leadership, on and off the field. Interaction with the fans and general public. What is that person's overall marketability. I am sure I am leaving a few things out.

With the Bill's getting little national recognition, I can see why the author chose Williams as his choice for face of the franchise.

With that being said, I would like to hear everybody's thoughts on who they feel is the face of the franchise and why.

Jackson is the face of the franchise until he leaves or Manuel takes it from him. FredEx Plays with more heart, more guts, and more of a blue collar mentality than anyone else on the roster. The man is a warrior through and through, just like the region.

Jackson is the face of the franchise until he leaves or Manuel takes it from him. FredEx Plays with more heart, more guts, and more of a blue collar mentality than anyone else on the roster. The man is a warrior through and through, just like the region.

I agree. Problem is qb's are normally the face of the franchise by default. Kinda like the lead singer in the band vs the drummer which is likely why he stated EJ as second.

I 100% agree with this. It will probably be the QB, I'm hoping at this point that it ends up being Manuel.

I love FREDEX but he's getting older. I truly appreciated Kyle's comments on Dareus challenging him to get his act together.

We will need younger leaders to emerge. I'm hopeful EJ comes along, and I don't think it will be Mario. He performs but is not a leader.

Who knows. What is Brandon Spikes has an outrageous year, they extend his contract and he establishes an attitude on the defense. It's all wild speculation, but would love to see new leaders emerge.

Fred on Offense and Kyle on Defense . They prove it year after year.

Pick one ? sure , Fred . He is both on and off the field what i would consider the Front man for the Bills.

He has earned my respect and also is my favorite Buffalo Bill .

you hope though it will be EJ in short order

As much as I love and agree with Freddy being the face of the franchise. The fact is, it's EJ weather anyone likes it or not. In just 1 messed up season he already has his face all over this thing. People from out of town would be the ones to ask. The non Bills fans. Of course we all love Freddy and what he means to this organization. But when you ask a Colts fan (eg.) they will point to EJ.

As much as I love and agree with Freddy being the face of the franchise. The fact is, it's EJ weather anyone likes it or not. In just 1 messed up season he already has his face all over this thing. People from out of town would be the ones to ask. The non Bills fans. Of course we all love Freddy and what he means to this organization. But when you ask a Colts fan (eg.) they will point to EJ.

Can't argue , thats what the outsiders will look towards to in defining the Bills .

But Fred is heart and soul for me.

Fred is the locker room and on-field "face of the franchise" but the media likes to talk about Mario because he has the big contract and is the former #1 overall pick. Kyle is actually our best player on defense and the captain but he doesn't get much pub. On offense, I'd say Spiller gets the most respect and pub. I would love for Manuel to have a breakout year and become the new face of the team for many years but that remains to be seen

+1

Actually, based upon responses from the out-of-towners to whom I speak (which is everyone, since I myself am out-of-town), most don't even know who the Bills' QB is. Most do know they have Mario Williams.

It usually needs to be a QB. The exceptions are if you have a Ray Lewis type of guy on defense or a Calvin Johnson level talent elsewhere on the O. A few teams have the personality of their coach as the face (Philly, KC, maybe Pittsburgh). I'd say at least 1/3 of the teams in the NFL don't have a face.

Actually, based upon responses from the out-of-towners to whom I speak (which is everyone, since I myself am out-of-town), most don't even know who the Bills' QB is. Most do know they have Mario Williams.

Exactly. And that means the Bills don't have a face of the franchise, or to the extent they do, it's still Jim Kelly.