Can we trust Roger Goodell?

No. I don't even care what the question is, the answer to the topic is a resounding no. Power over fans/promises/contracts. He killed NFL Europe with 5 years left to go, his so called full commitment just to make a statement of power when he got control of the NFL.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the Bills move to Toronto, will they play one game a season in Buffalo to "regionalize" the franchise??????

Will the "Torontonians" HATE the idea of giving up a home game????

jus sayin' ..... :bag:

So you are not sure what message Goodell was sending by having lunch with JBJ. But it was a bad idea that he did it. So i guess if Goodell did have a sneaky motive in mind, he didn't do a very good job getting his point across ... whatever that point was.

I offered two possible reasons why he might be having the lunch. If I'm Golisano or Pegula and I haven't had the same discussion with Goodell, I'd be worried he was helping JBJ. But, my philosophy is that you are always prepared for the worst, so you are not surprised, I suspect TG and Pegs are similar -- you don't get to be a billionaire without a little paranoia. Andy Grove wrote a great book "Only the Paranoid Survive". Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Isnt RG from WNY?

Doesnt that count for something?

CBF

I think we all just assumed it would, at some point..but we passed that point a while ago. His loyalties lie with whoever is paying his 44 million dollar a year salary....not a bunch of schlubs like us! I always wanted to like the guy, and in some ways, I think he has a tough job (IRGT the whole "concussion era" of pro football), but he is well compensated to lie his ass off and sell his sole. When Mr Wilson passed away, Goodells comments, while on the surface seemed "classy" and sort of generic, upon further review almost seemed, in some ways as a pre-emptive strike, or warning to Bills fans that they could lose their team.

I offered two possible reasons why he might be having the lunch. If I'm Golisano or Pegula and I haven't had the same discussion with Goodell, I'd be worried he was helping JBJ. But, my philosophy is that you are always prepared for the worst, so you are not surprised, I suspect TG and Pegs are similar -- you don't get to be a billionaire without a little paranoia. Andy Grove wrote a great book "Only the Paranoid Survive".

Maybe, who knows. One thing I do know is it would be fun being part of one of these groups though huh.

Maybe, who knows. One thing I do know is it would be fun being part of one of these groups though huh.

I'd pay a chunk of money to simply get to read the trust and know what the freaking bidding rules are. Not knowing is the worst part and I'm too paranoid to "trust" it will all work out. I remind myself everyday that the folks from Toronto will NEVER get an NFL team if they lose this bid in their lifetimes. When you look at it that way, it's right to fear their bid and get pissed when you hear of meetings between RG and JBJ. In the end, I think Pegs will come with a high enough bid to force the trustees to accept it because it's local -- but until that day, part of me is worried.

Maybe he told JBJ that the NFL would love it if the Bills went to TO but who knew WNY had that much political clout? We don't need Schumer up our azzez. Lay low and the Jags will be available soon.

No way will a franchise move to Toronto if the Bills stay in Buffalo. The Bills would rightfully fight if the Jags moving to Toronto as it would violate their home market and they would win -- no different than Seattle would fight a team in Portland and Dallas would fight a team in OKC -- hell, the Cowboys would fight a team in San Antonio or Austin ! --

No way will a franchise move to Toronto if the Bills stay in Buffalo. The Bills would rightfully fight if the Jags moving to Toronto as it would violate their home market and they would win -- no different than Seattle would fight a team in Portland and Dallas would fight a team in OKC -- hell, the Cowboys would fight a team in San Antonio or Austin ! --

The NFL could make it clear that they want a team there if the Bills stay so we can just deal with it.

Even if the Jags went to Toronto, we'd still have a lot of Canadian Bills fans. Anyone who puts up with the Bills has to be loyal.

The NFL could make it clear that they want a team there if the Bills stay so we can just deal with it.

Even if the Jags went to Toronto, we'd still have a lot of Canadian Bills fans. Anyone who puts up with the Bills has to be loyal.

Interesting -- so, RG is promising JBJ a team in Toronto if he backs off or loses Bills bid -- meanwhile, he'd need to get agreement with new owner to not object to team in Toronto --- I'd make that deal as a Bills fan to ensure team stays here ---

I dont think it would work quite like that.

They definitely want JBJ's team to bid. Raises the value of all teams if the Bills sell for more.

Once bids are in, maybe Goodell steps in and tells the trust and Pegula that they will approve Pegula unanimously and immediately under the stipulation the GTA market is not protected,

Interesting -- so, RG is promising JBJ a team in Toronto if he backs off or loses Bills bid -- meanwhile, he'd need to get agreement with new owner to not object to team in Toronto --- I'd make that deal as a Bills fan to ensure team stays here ---

I'll take it a step further. El Pegual agrees to let a team move to TO if that team and the Bills play in the AFC North with Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Guaranteed sellouts all around. Win, win, win, win.

I wonder if the Bills move to Toronto, will they play one game a season in Buffalo to "regionalize" the franchise??????

Will the "Torontonians" HATE the idea of giving up a home game????

jus sayin' ..... :bag:

Then we can all become dolphin's fans and go to TO for the game and get drunk and talk with weird accents and not say EH? after everything. This will be my destiny if the team ever moves to Toronto. The sweet revenge.

Edited by The Wiz

The owners LOVE Goodell...he has greatly increased revenue from TV Contracts and the NFL keeps extending their already huge lead on the other sports in popularity in the US

Edited by matter2003

He had lunch with Bon Jovi because Bon Jovi is a rock star and most everyone is enamored to some degree with rock stars. Bon Jovi has no money to be an NFL owner and is just a figurehead anyway. I'm sure he's serious about it and I'm sure he can put together a group like the Rogers group but he is not going to be an NFL owner. Frankly, I don't know why anyone with a billion dollars who what's to own an nfl team would want him there taking all the glory. The nfl is going to vet that guy, not Bon Jovi and that guy will have all say.

+1

never trust(ed) Goodell and the owners in this.

Until this franchise is locked in, Ill remain terrified

Terrified. There are some good indicators out there and some bad ones. I don't trust Goodell on this because years ago he said he wants part of his legacy to be about taking the NFL international. Any hope comes purely from the strength of Buffalo's local interests. Like all things Bills, for my own peace of mind I have to assume the worst until any other result is fully achieved. Go Bills.