Vince Young officially retires

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He played great for a year or two, then lost sight of where he fits in the football world. These are the years when he should be coming into his prime, but he can't fit anywhere. He still has the arm strength and physical ability but his ego swamped it.

He played great for a year or two, then lost sight of where he fits in the football world. These are the years when he should be coming into his prime, but he can't fit anywhere. He still has the arm strength and physical ability but his ego swamped it.

I don't think it's as cut-and-dried, black and white as that. An ego didn't stop him from being accurate on the field or learning an offensive scheme enough to enjoy sustaiined success. I think he might have some type of learning disability which kept him from making the next step as a pro, once the league caught up and accounted for his elite athleticism.

Good for him for succeeding in his chosen field for as long as he did, none of us would be able to boast we were ever top 10 or 15 in the nation at anything, I would venture a guess.

Amazing and unfortunate as to what happened in his pro career.

I remember when NFL Network released the documentary on the history of black players in the NFL, there was a segment devoted to the new generation of players, and they focused on Vince Young after his rookie year.

One person on the documentary actually said that Vince Young would be in the Hall of Fame.

I thought, "WOW!, You are already putting him in Canton? Let's give him a few more years before we even think about that."

The guy is a winner. You can't teach that. All he does is win...except when he doesn't.

I seem to recall him having some personal issues at the end of his time with TN... like he wasn't showing up for practice, was missing for awhile, threatened suicide... something like that. Fisher never seemed to like him much either. Edited by YoloinOhio

I seem to recall him having some personal issues at the end of his time with TN... like he wasn't showing up for practice, was missing for awhile, threatened suicide... something like that. Fisher never seemed to like him much either.

I was kidding. But really VY looked like the real deal, no question. Some guys can't handle what comes with it.

I was kidding. But really VY looked like the real deal, no question. Some guys can't handle what comes with it.

I also think he got something like a 6 on the Wunderlic and, while that doesn't always mean everything, for a QB you definitely need something much higher than that.

I also think he got something like a 6 on the Wunderlic and, while that doesn't always mean everything, for a QB you definitely need something much higher than that.

He retook it and actually prepared and got a much high score.

He's been given chances in multiple cities. I know I'll forget one or two, but here, Philly, and GB after TN.

He squandered his wealth, and now has to figure out how to be successful in life. I have no issue with him, he just blew it.

Fisher has a lot of patience, but he was sick of his temperamental, and immature nature.

Ah, I was not aware it was something you could study/prepare for.

To be fair his score was below what you'd expect from simply guessing. That means he was either a combination of illiterate and unlucky, or he was clueless as to the format/scoring (sat on one question for 10 mins or only filled in answers he was 100% sure of).

Ideally, on the second go around he would've done better in either case simply because it would be challenging to do worse unless he actively tried.

As an Austinite (but not necessarily a huge Longhorns fan), I wish the guy nothing but the best. He was one of the very best college football players of the last 25 years or so...Mack Brown, Deloss Dodd, and the University of Texas owe him a lot.

I think things in the pros might have worked out a little better for him, had he played for a coach that wanted him. That is not to place all the blame at Jeff Fishers feet, just saying that Young may have turned out better in the pros, had he been coddled a little more. NFL coaches will never admit to coddling some players, but they have to do it in some cases, to get the best out of their guys.

No question that Young was a bit immature for his age, and no doubt his incredible success at every other level went to his head...but Young would hardly be the first pro athlete to start his career under those conditions. I am not advocating the Bills signing him, but I still find it hard to believe (unless he is just so out of shape) that he couldn't be one of the top 96 pro QBs in the NFL. I honestly felt he looked good enough to stick with the Bills a few years back, and he didn't look completely awful for the Packers last year.

Edited by Buftex