Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, "all agree" that a football stadium in NF would be in use (rented) for 100 functions a year? I think you are alone in that "agreement". For example, one of the most popular stadium venues is ATT Stadium. Yet it has only 34 events (including Cowboys games) occupying the space for a total of 49 days in the entirety of 2014. Lucas Field, which many here cite as a model set-up, has only 39 events scheduled in the next 12 months. Only 16 involve more than 5000 people and 10 of them are Colts games. 18 of the 39 events have less than 1000 people.

Therefore both stadiums are emtpy for 85% of the year. Dreams of a "multi-use stadium" that will generate significant revenue for the stadium owner are completely unrealistic.

Thank you for the research, I immediately thought, I wonder what the figures are at the other stadiums nationwide when i saw that 100+ event figure

Yeah, I would think that 25-30 events would be great.

Depends on how big the events are. In Indy, half the events are very small--includes weddings. That place has to be hemorrhaging money. There are few large conventions.

Building more convention square footage has proven to be a fantastic way to loose money. It doesn't bring in more conventions. And football stadiums aren't really "multi-use" facilities. Other than other football games and stadium concerts (rare these days), there is little use for them outside of the NFl games played in them.

Depends on how big the events are. In Indy, half the events are very small--includes weddings. That place has to be hemorrhaging money. There are few large conventions.

Building more convention square footage has proven to be a fantastic way to loose money. It doesn't bring in more conventions. And football stadiums aren't really "multi-use" facilities. Other than other football games and stadium concerts (rare these days), there is little use for them outside of the NFl games played in them.

Oh, absolutely. I should have chosen my words more carefully. By "great" I meant "maximum." If you could put together 25 events a year it would be the most that you could possibly do but that would not be good. Edited by Kirby Jackson

And football stadiums aren't really "multi-use" facilities. Other than other football games and stadium concerts (rare these days), there is little use for them outside of the NFl games played in them.

Really? This pic is from Indy....

post-9-0-66816400-1402362359_thumb.jpg

Really? This pic is from Indy....

post-9-0-66816400-1402362359_thumb.jpg

There you go--one of the handful of non-football events that booked more than 1000 attendees, although it looks like more trucks than humans.

Here's the whole schedule through May '15.

http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/upcoming-events.aspx

It's proof that these facilities aren't a draw for other big events.

Indy had the Midwest Regional the last two years (or maybe more) and is having the Final Four next year.

The final 4 in included as one of the 6 events for the year holding over 1000 people, excluding Colts games.

Lucas Oil also hosts the Big 10 Championship game in CFB.

I saw that at the Big 10 website, although it is not listed as an event on the Lucas Field event schedule site. Even so, another football game doesn't make this a model of "multi-use" as a stadium. And neither the Final 4 nor any major college conference championship will play in Buffalo. Even if they did, it would be a drop in the bucket towards the mortgage on the place for the builder/owner of the stadium.

A smart businessman would not count on income from non football sources from a stadium venue. If an owner counts on income, it should only be from football related sources. Naming rights, concessions, upgraded paid amenity income, parking, psls, tickets,TV revenue,endorsements, team gear sales and NFL revenue sharing. For a team owner, a stadium is not a viable revenue source outside of the game of football itself. Any costly added frills in stadium construction should be for increasing revenue from the games, either from fans attending the games, or from those watching the game through the media. Spending on stadium features outside of that is simply bad business and a bad business investment.

I just read that Golisano is engaged to tennis legend Monica Seles. He is 72 while she is 40. Very strange. If Golisano bought the team Seles would likely be our owner at some point.

Thank you for not starting a new thread.

A smart businessman would not count on income from non football sources from a stadium venue. If an owner counts on income, it should only be from football related sources. Naming rights, concessions, upgraded paid amenity income, parking, psls, tickets,TV revenue,endorsements, team gear sales and NFL revenue sharing. For a team owner, a stadium is not a viable revenue source outside of the game of football itself. Any costly added frills in stadium construction should be for increasing revenue from the games, either from fans attending the games, or from those watching the game through the media. Spending on stadium features outside of that is simply bad business and a bad business investment.

Very well said Simpleman; you are spot on. You can develop around a stadium but that will sink or swim depending on where it is located. I think that Patriot Place is an example of this. It is beautiful but it is still Foxboro. It will never be a destination if something isn't going on in the stadium.

Doesn't the "spend to cap' rule kick in this year, or something like 99%? I hope Golisano:

*keeps the Bills in WNY

*gets a new,efficient ,economical,multi-use,domed stadium (or re-builds the Rlph to modernize and improve it)

*if it is at current site,improve access and parking

*invest in coaching staff,get the best staff possible, improve amenities,make players WANT to come to Buffalo

The final 4 in included as one of the 6 events for the year holding over 1000 people, excluding Colts games.

I saw that at the Big 10 website, although it is not listed as an event on the Lucas Field event schedule site. Even so, another football game doesn't make this a model of "multi-use" as a stadium. And neither the Final 4 nor any major college conference championship will play in Buffalo. Even if they did, it would be a drop in the bucket towards the mortgage on the place for the builder/owner of the stadium.

Will a new stadium be built? I believe that the answer is yes.

If that new stadium is put in a "proper" location can the UB Bulls also call it home? Yes.

Will that new stadium be used for all section championships? Yes.

Might that new stadium sometimes host super-sectionals (state championships if NYS has those)? I believe yes.

Aren't you near 20 events not counting super-sectionals?

Does NY/PN still play an all star football game?

Now, if that stadium had a roof, whether permanent or retractable, might that stadium attract events like NCAA BB? Occasional concerts? Pro Wrasslin? Monster truck events?

Maybe I have the rose colored glasses on, but, would it be used more than The Ralph? Is that bad or good?

Anyone see this. At least he will have a wife who understands winning.

http://www.twcc.com/..._engagements#/0

A better comparison would be to find out how many events the Hoosier/RCA Dome held versus Lucas Oil.

Why? Let's say there were zero events at RCA other than Colts games. Going from zero to what they are booking now doesn't look significanct and I'm guessing it's far less than they were hoping for or projecting in order to generate non-football income.

Take away the Final 4 and the Big 10 game (they won't be coming to Buffalo) and you see how underutilized Lucas Stadium is as it stands now. If that's the model the Bill's stadium complex aspires to, it still struggles as a multi-use venue and it argues against the assumption that use other than for football is a valid reason to fund such a huge project (stadium/convention center).

Will a new stadium be built? I believe that the answer is yes.

If that new stadium is put in a "proper" location can the UB Bulls also call it home? Yes.

Will that new stadium be used for all section championships? Yes.

Might that new stadium sometimes host super-sectionals (state championships if NYS has those)? I believe yes.

Aren't you near 20 events not counting super-sectionals?

Does NY/PN still play an all star football game?

Now, if that stadium had a roof, whether permanent or retractable, might that stadium attract events like NCAA BB? Occasional concerts? Pro Wrasslin? Monster truck events?

Maybe I have the rose colored glasses on, but, would it be used more than The Ralph? Is that bad or good?

Stadium concerts dont really exist. Especially with a Buffalo venue as I could see it being bypassed for Toronto if its the one tour (U2) who does it. My hope is also the Waterfront will have a permanent brick and mortar amphitheatre before long.

I think we have:

8 Bills Games

2 Bills Preseason Games

0-2 Bills Playoff Games

5-6 Bulls Games. Things would have to change and we would need to spur some interest, the program would have to take off and maybe upgrade in Conference. Much like temple/rutgers. I would certainly attend

1 NCAA Bowl Game of some sort, likely on a 3rd tier.

0-1 Maybe crowbar switching every other season of the MAC Championship Game with Detroit. If UB not in the MAC, likely an extra home game.

1 WNY High School Championships (lets face it, hundreds attend)

1 State High School Championships (not sure how many attend in Syracuse, but Im sure the State will want to move it to their new toy)

Once in a lifetime/very rare events:

NCAA Basketball Regionals

NCAA Basketball Final Four

Wrestlemania

"Outdoor" Hockey Games

So optimistically we have about 20 events with only the Bills games really selling out. UB games currently get between 8k-15k I believe and even a Bowl Game might see only 30-40K (Id be there!) Those rare events would be huge sellouts at inflated pricing and bring in many tourists.

They have that RV show in RWS or at least they did. That is one convention.

It would also be great if they can hold/plan some sort of giant convention/woodstock of outdoor activities such as hunting/fishing/etc.

I would also say it would be a PRIMO spot for a big UFC card if NYS ever legalizes events here. It is HUGE in Canada and that stadium would easily be filled.

But still. Nowehere near 100 or even close to the big ticket events Jerry's World gets.

Stadium concerts dont really exist. Especially with a Buffalo venue as I could see it being bypassed for Toronto if its the one tour (U2) who does it. My hope is also the Waterfront will have a permanent brick and mortar amphitheatre before long.

I think we have:

8 Bills Games

2 Bills Preseason Games

0-2 Bills Playoff Games

5-6 Bulls Games. Things would have to change and we would need to spur some interest, the program would have to take off and maybe upgrade in Conference. Much like temple/rutgers. I would certainly attend

1 NCAA Bowl Game of some sort, likely on a 3rd tier.

0-1 Maybe crowbar switching every other season of the MAC Championship Game with Detroit. If UB not in the MAC, likely an extra home game.

1 WNY High School Championships (lets face it, hundreds attend)

1 State High School Championships (not sure how many attend in Syracuse, but Im sure the State will want to move it to their new toy)

Once in a lifetime/very rare events:

NCAA Basketball Regionals

NCAA Basketball Final Four

Wrestlemania

"Outdoor" Hockey Games

So optimistically we have about 20 events with only the Bills games really selling out. UB games currently get between 8k-15k I believe and even a Bowl Game might see only 30-40K (Id be there!) Those rare events would be huge sellouts at inflated pricing and bring in many tourists.

They have that RV show in RWS or at least they did. That is one convention.

It would also be great if they can hold/plan some sort of giant convention/woodstock of outdoor activities such as hunting/fishing/etc.

I would also say it would be a PRIMO spot for a big UFC card if NYS ever legalizes events here. It is HUGE in Canada and that stadium would easily be filled.

But still. Nowehere near 100 or even close to the big ticket events Jerry's World gets.

I believe that the occasional concert will take place there if built.

Where did I say anything about 100? Where did I compare to AT&T?

The question I asked is will a new facility be used more than The Ralph. That's where the bar is set. WNY is not DFW so I'm not silly enough to compare the two areas to each other.