Hillary's Campaign Kickoff

Hillary Clinton's unchallenged, illogical statement about private prisons.

In the middle of the impressionistic and meandering answers to Lester Holt's question "So how do you heal the divide?" — the "very wide and bitter gap" over "race relations" in America — Hillary said one thing that was simply illogical on its face. From the transcript:

I’m glad that we’re ending private prisons in the federal system; I want to see them ended in the state system. You shouldn’t have a profit motivation to fill prison cells with young Americans.

Government prosecutes criminals and obtains convictions and prison sentences. If government uses privately run prisons, it must pay these private businesses to house its prisoners. The entity filling the prison therefore has an economic incentive against putting more people in prison. The private business — the one with the "profit motivation" — has no power to create more prisoners.

I can see opposing private prisons for other reasons, but Hillary's justification made no sense to me other than a random expression of disgust for business.

In the middle of the impressionistic and meandering answers to Lester Holt's question "So how do you heal the divide?" — the "very wide and bitter gap" over "race relations" in America — Hillary said one thing that was simply illogical on its face. From the transcript:

I’m glad that we’re ending private prisons in the federal system; I want to see them ended in the state system. You shouldn’t have a profit motivation to fill prison cells with young Americans.

Government prosecutes criminals and obtains convictions and prison sentences. If government uses privately run prisons, it must pay these private businesses to house its prisoners. The entity filling the prison therefore has an economic incentive against putting more people in prison. The private business — the one with the "profit motivation" — has no power to create more prisoners.

I can see opposing private prisons for other reasons, but Hillary's justification made no sense to me other than a random expression of disgust for business.

Shows how much you either do not understand what is going on or how naïve you are:

The private prison alliance has been one of the biggest lobbyists for stiffer prison sentences - so there is that.

HRC 1 B-Man 0

Shows how much you either do not understand what is going on or how naïve you are:

The private prison alliance has been one of the biggest lobbyists for stiffer prison sentences - so there is that.

HRC 1 B-Man 0

Boy, she went out on a limb there. She might have lost the massive "private prison owner's lobby" with that statement. How courageous.

Quick, name one segment of the government that has anything resembling a "profit motivation."

That's like saying the school milk lobby is one of the biggest lobbyists for mandatory school milk quotas at every school.

I swear, your stupidity runs long and deep.

You mock Big Dairy at your peril.

This is probably where baskin explains that school lunch milk cartons cost less in Canada, but we can't import them because of Big Dairy, and it's driving up the cost of lunches, which obviously is the reason our students don't test as well as kids in China.

Quick, name one segment of the government that has anything resembling a "profit motivation."

Just to add - Pennsylvania is selling anything that isn't bolted down because it has major pension and real estate tax problems that it doesn't want to practically fix.

Natural Gas (they collect some cash here)

Alcohol (the legislature is very very reluctant to give up the state stores.)

Marijuana (going to legalize medical use, and they have lucrative fees and taxes attached to the legislation.)

Gambling (lucrative fees)

Gasoline (they said to pay for transportation but it's really just an excuse to fund the state police they would otherwise underfund)

Cigs (big tax on those, and they continually up the tax to balance the general fund)

TBH, I can see the day that states start legitimately considering legalizing prostitution. The pension crisis is going to be that bad when the pension rooster comes strutting home.

Edited by dpberr

TBH, I can see the day that states start legitimately considering legalizing prostitution. The pension crisis is going to be that bad when the pension rooster comes strutting home.

The real trick will be when they start bringing in the money and think "Well, it doesn't ALL have to go to pension. I have a couple of projects that could use some funding."

Just to add - Pennsylvania is selling anything that isn't bolted down because it has major pension and real estate tax problems that it doesn't want to practically fix.

Natural Gas (they collect some cash here)

Alcohol (the legislature is very very reluctant to give up the state stores.)

Marijuana (going to legalize medical use, and they have lucrative fees and taxes attached to the legislation.)

Gambling (lucrative fees)

Gasoline (they said to pay for transportation but it's really just an excuse to fund the state police they would otherwise underfund)

Cigs (big tax on those, and they continually up the tax to balance the general fund)

And most of that is confusing "taxes" with "profits." May as well call the IRS a profit center.