World Cup Thread

Messi is the real thing.

He's won 4 of the last 5 soccer player of the year awards (now Ballon d'Or Award) and finished 2nd the other time. I'd say he's been the real thing for some time now.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you guys hear? The bite mark was photoshopped! Funniest explanation I've ever heard!

To be honest if there is a player deserving of abuse in the Italy squad it would be Giorgio.

da60e0e5hairpull.jpg

To be honest if there is a player deserving of abuse in the Italy squad it would be Giorgio.

da60e0e5hairpull.jpg

Personally, I don't think a bite is really that big of a deal. It's much better than some of the leg sweeping that goes on that can end guys careers and leading into a tackle with cleats up which basically can act as daggers. Sure it hurts and is a bit weird, but hearing guys clamor for a lifetime ban or a two year ban is a bit ridiculous to me.

Additionally, we've all heard rumors of what goes on in the bottom of an NFL / College football pile. Just look at that video of Spikes from Florida basically trying to gauge a guys eyes out. That too, is much worse in my opinion.

Edited by Mark80

Personally, I don't think a bite is really that big of a deal. It's much better than some of the leg sweeping that goes on that can end guys careers and leading into a tackle with cleats up which basically can act as daggers. Sure it hurts and is a bit weird, but hearing guys clamor for a lifetime ban or a two year ban is a bit ridiculous to me.

Additionally, we've all heard rumors of what goes on in the bottom of an NFL / College football pile. Just look at that video of Spikes from Florida basically trying to gauge a guys eyes out. That too, is much worse in my opinion.

True. I've seen much worse and bites don't bother me but if you'll send off marchisio, then you should send off suarez.

I kind of feel bad for prandelli because up until the red, we were controlling the game. The inability to get the ball into the opposing box despite having majority possession was what made me glad we didn't get to the next round.

Biting is just deviant. Its only OK to bite if you're in great personal danger.

Last time I get to see my Portuguese play in this tournament :cry:

With that being said, I hope Portugal fires their coach. He is awful.

Go USA. Clint Dempsey is just sick good. Even when playing with a broken nose.

CBF

Portugal and the US may have received a big lift.

https://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-ghana-send-boateng-muntari-home-world-110136779--sow.html

Ghana are due to play Portugal tonight in a game they must win to have a chance of reaching the last 16 of the World Cup but their preparations have been thrown into chaos.

Muntari, who plays for AC Milan, and Boateng, who represents Schalke, have both been dismissed by coach Kwesi Appiah for disciplinary reasons and have been suspended "indefinitely" by the country.

Muntari is alleged to have slapped Ghana management committee member Moses Armah Parker.

A statement from the Ghanaian FA read: "The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has suspended Sulley Ali Muntari indefinitely from the Black Stars with immediate effect.

"The decision was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr. Moses Armah on Tuesday 24th June, 2014 during a meeting.

"Muntari’s accreditation for the 2014 World Cup has been withdrawn with immediate effect."

Biting is just deviant. Its only OK to bite if you're in great personal danger.

Personally, I think Suarez has a few loose screws in the head.

Things are getting crazy in Group G.

Apparently it is pouring rain Recife, so bad that there are concerns about people being able to reach the stadium. It sounds like the kind of thing that would normally cause a match postponement, but I'm guessing the standards are different in the WC. I'd think heavy rains would cause both teams to be more conservative (good) but you never know. One slip could cost a goal.

Ghana sending home two starters, which will certainly exacerbate the existing tension over money in that locker room and makes them highly unpredictable today. Again, on the surface it looks like good news for the US but hopefully it doesn't go the other way where that game turns into a route.

I can't wait for noon....

If someone bites me, I'm swinging on them. Grown men don't do that.

I've loved this tournament but I hated the ending of the Ivory Coast-Greece game. That might have technically been a foul, but dear lord that was soft. You shouldn't be eliminated from a tournment on such a little thing. If I could improve on thing with soccer/ football, it would be allowing them to play more through little contact.

If someone bites me, I'm swinging on them. Grown men don't do that.

I've loved this tournament but I hated the ending of the Ivory Coast-Greece game. That might have technically been a foul, but dear lord that was soft. You shouldn't be eliminated from a tournment on such a little thing. If I could improve on thing with soccer/ football, it would be allowing them to play more through little contact.

In the box you have to walk on eggshells, yet some of the best defenders almost never give up a PK. It's not easy.

In the box you have to walk on eggshells, yet some of the best defenders almost never give up a PK. It's not easy.

Yeah, maybe it's my "American" mentality but I hate softness. I hate weak fouls in basketball and I hate the new rules in the NFL (I get why). I think if the refs allowed more play ons for little contact, that's how you can get rid of some of the flopping. JMO.