WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ByTimGraham

Asked by @BuffaloNews' @gggaughan specifically about involvement in Marcell Dareus' racing incident, Jerry Hughes said he wouldn't comment.

@JoeBuscaglia

Video posted of #Bills' Jerry Hughes driving a black camaro, which may be the car listed in the police statement

http://youtu.be/z9gDl4CHTvE

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Ok, so Marcell was "arrested and charged with reckless endangerment in the second degree, a class A misdemeanor; reckless driving and participating in an illegal speed contest, both unclassified misdemeanors; and traffic violations." Jerry Hughes was involved as well. Other than the fact this was incredibly stupid (especially for Marcell), let's take a deep breath here.

I'm no lawyer, but to me it sounds like it's going to be incredibly hard for a prosecutor to get the "illegal speed contest" charges to stick. We don't know the full story, but from reports it sounds like police only arrived on the scene after Marcell's car hit the tree. They supposedly have "witnesses," but will those witnesses actually testify once they know its a Buffalo Bill that's charged? Will they get scared away from the media attention and pressure from friends? Also, would they actually be able to finger Marcell on the stand as the one they saw in the driver seat?

Considering Marcell will most likely buy the best lawyer money can buy to create this doubt, I would assume the prosecutor will probably cut a deal that might include reckless endangerment or a similar lesser charge, some serious fines and possibly a suspended license. Can't see Hughes getting anything worse than that if, again, no police actually saw the crime being committed. Money buys justice, and this is a slap on the wrist for something that could have ended much, much worse.

Regarding an extension here, the Bills are in a tough spot. Hopefully this will FINALLY serve as a wake-up call to this kid and hopefully he'll prove to them he deserves it in the next two years.

EDIT: I'm not arguing that Marcell should avoid punishment if he actually deserves it, I'm just speculating how I feel this will work through our legal system.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

Drag races and pink slips? All we need are Olivia Newton John and Kenicki.

Meanwhile lil Sammy is posting pics of rainbows. He is so fresh and new.

Sammy Watkins@sammywatkins 2m

#thebuff http://instagram.com/p/oynptRI27V/

@ByTimGraham

Here's an instagram video from Bills S Aaron Williams, talking about RB Fred Jackson putting up pinks for a race http://instagram.com/p/nn8p8ZDMoL/

Anyone see this comment on the video?

iam_jerryhughes@ajwilliams23 if it's going down in TX let me throw know.. I got the GO!!

Ok, so Marcell was "arrested and charged with reckless endangerment in the second degree, a class A misdemeanor; reckless driving and participating in an illegal speed contest, both unclassified misdemeanors; and traffic violations." Jerry Hughes was involved as well. Other than the fact this was incredibly stupid (especially for Marcell), let's take a deep breath here.

I'm no lawyer, but to me it sounds like it's going to be incredibly hard for a prosecutor to get the "illegal speed contest" charges to stick. We don't know the full story, but from reports it sounds like police only arrived on the scene after Marcell's car hit the tree. They supposedly have "witnesses," but will those witnesses actually testify once they know its a Buffalo Bill that's charged? Will they get scared away from the media attention and pressure from friends? Also, would they actually be able to finger Marcell on the stand as the one they saw in the driver seat?

Considering Marcell will most likely buy the best lawyer money can buy to create this doubt, I would assume the prosecutor will probably cut a deal that might include reckless endangerment or a similar lesser charge, some serious fines and possibly a suspended license. Can't see Hughes getting anything worse than that if, again, no police actually saw the crime being committed. Money buys justice, and this is a slap on the wrist for something that could have ended much, much worse.

Regarding an extension here, the Bills are in a tough spot. Hopefully this will FINALLY serve as a wake-up call to this kid and hopefully he'll prove to them he deserves it in the next two years.

EDIT: I'm not arguing that Marcell should avoid punishment if he actually deserves it, I'm just speculating how I feel this will work through our legal system.

A public defender could get that deal....he'll end up with a speeding ticket, disorderly conduct (in satisfaction of the speed contest and leaving the scene of a property damage accident) and another Disorderly Conduct for Reckless Endangerment (he won't end up with any misdemeanors). If he has a clean record (which at this time he does because the Alabama thing is still pending) the DA's typically make a reasonable offer. He'll pay fines and get points on his license.

@ByTimGraham

Here's an instagram video from Bills S Aaron Williams, talking about RB Fred Jackson putting up pinks for a race http://instagram.com/p/nn8p8ZDMoL/

Great, it's a problem with the whole locker room.

I say bench everyone a minimum of four games if they even suggest they *might* street race. **** is dangerous.

Team speed

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 1h

When Whaley said at the pre-draft luncheon that teams use a "NASCAR package" on DLine, you guys were not supposed to take him literally!!

Well, you guys did want veteran influence on him.

Kelvin Sheppard never would have participated in something like this. Bad trade, Whaley! :flirt: Edited by YoloinOhio

This is frustrating all around. Not even sure where to look to get this cleaned up. Hopefully a crash is a lesson learned but if it runs deep in the bills culture it'll be a pain to get everyone out of it

Not a peep yet from Whaley. Going to assume he will address this with the team and the media. It isn't all on Marrone, IMO. If Fred Jackson and AW are involved they need to get some things straightened out because these are two team leaders.

Not a peep yet from Whaley. Going to assume he will address this with the team and the media. It isn't all on Marrone, IMO. If Fred Jackson and AW are involved they need to get some things straightened out because these are two team leaders.

Frankly, it sounds like it shouldn't be any surprise to the team that it was happening - only that MD got caught. It's hard to have that many guys (if the initial list is accurate) participating and not have it well known in the locker room