SB Nation: NFL's best linebacker corps: Bills, 49ers lead the way

What? Rex Ryan took home a ring in 2001, when his Ravens defense set records for fewest points and rushing yards allowed, and while only giving up 23 points in 4 playoff games. Maybe you meant as a Head Coach, but nonetheless, he has won a ring.

Whoops :blush: Edited to still make my point

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Captain Optimism. Here's an idea. Go root for another team. We've all suffered through the same losing seasons, but to be so negative every summer just is depressing. For now, I believe we are in the right direction.

Why would you ever hate a team, coaching, front office, and still pay such close attention to them. It makes no sense.

Sarchasm: the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I don't know....Kiko and Spikes, OK. But the rest--on the same level as that SF LB roster?? And this guy left Aldon Smith off the list.

Seems like a stretch.

I definitely agree. SF is elite and then there are a bunch in the next tier. The Bills are in the next tier not the same tier IMO. The Bills DL belongs in the top tier though with STL, Carolina, and a couple of others maybe. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I definitely agree. SF is elite and then there are a bunch in the next tier. The Bills are in the next tier not the same tier IMO. The Bills DL belongs in the top tier though with STL, Carolina, and a couple of others maybe.

The D-line is solid against the pass...

Technique? Scheme?

I'm starting to believe last season was nothing more than the Mike Pettine "I'm auditioning for a HC gig so watch my aggressive defense" show. He clearly abandoned a disciplined scheme to stop the run in favor of racking up fancy glamour stats.

I'm starting to believe last season was nothing more than the Mike Pettine "I'm auditioning for a HC gig so watch my aggressive defense" show. He clearly abandoned a disciplined scheme to stop the run in favor of racking up fancy glamour stats.

Given that he was option 12 for the last vacancy I'd say it didnt work too well. You'd think simply winning would've been better than sacks.

In this case I think he genuinely felt pressure would be the way to win and with a better offense it would've been.

Edited by NoSaint

I am starting to think the same exact thing: He knew he wasn't staying, and parlayed last season into a HC gig via flashy sack stats, so he worked the system good.

Also, he had the players to do that here, so it makes me think that's another reason he came to the B-Lo.

Given that he was option 12 for the last vacancy I'd say it didnt work too well. You'd think simply winning would've been better than sacks.

In this case I think he genuinely felt pressure would be the way to win and with a better offense it would've been.

Well, he took a horrible defense, and turned then into a horrible run defense with a great sack production and very poor down-field pass defense.

I am starting to think the same exact thing: He knew he wasn't staying, and parlayed last season into a HC gig via flashy sack stats, so he worked the system good.

I don't know guys. Clearly, he had aspirations to be a Head Coach. We knew this. That was his reason for leaving Rex Ryan. But I just don't see him tailoring his entire defensive scheme to have one flashy looking year, and then completely abandoning it once he moved on to another job.

Wow, I'm negative Nancy I guess.

Top LB unit that has never taken snaps together?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since we've already graded the 2014 draft.

the artical was prefaced with potential of, with said players.

I take it as our group of starters is expected to be elite, based on who the players are. I also think Kiko carried much of the weight of our position.

The D-line is solid against the pass...

That was more a function of scheme IMO. The DL has 3 of the top 62 NFL players and a guy with 10.5 sacks. The LBs being better will help the run d. They should be about 10 in YPC and towards the top in sacks. The DL is by far the Bills best unit IMO. RBs are very good, WR & LB have a chance to be there as well. The secondary pretty good, OL shoild be average, TE and QB below average. ST was a huge disappointment to me last year but should be better (at least average especially if they find a punter).

I don't know guys. Clearly, he had aspirations to be a Head Coach. We knew this. That was his reason for leaving Rex Ryan. But I just don't see him tailoring his entire defensive scheme to have one flashy looking year, and then completely abandoning it once he moved on to another job.

Agreed.

That would be foolish.

I think he was as frustrated with players making mistakes as any one. But thats his style of defense. He asked alot of individuals , LBs and boundary corners . The potential of the front seven this year is pretty high. Elite , not elite ? not sure because i am not sure what Jim Schwartz will do. I bet he has a chip though and wants to win more than anything else

Edited by 3rdand12

I have been thinking that for some time

Care to back it up with any indication that sacks at the expense of overall success has any remote tie to promotions?

I'll accept that its a passing league and you want to hit the qb - but that's fundamental to team success these days.

How can anyone rate our LB corp as elite when we haven't played a down yet? You can make some of the positive assertions in our RB's as we rated 2nd in the NFL. last year. Meanwhile, as much as I like Kiko, we were horrible against the run.

I believe we improved over last year in talent, but they have not gelled yet, and we'll see if Spikes can defend against the pass. I would not compare these guys though to SF. Those guys are the best in the NFL.

I don't see it. I love moving Kiko to OLB but he hasn't taken a snap there yet. Spikes has yet to prove he can be a nickel MLB. And who is the third LB?

If Spikes can be a nickel MLB letting Kiko stay at OLB it would make the nickel defense special.

I really want to believe the article but this group has not played a down together yet. Let's hope the claim becomes reality because if so, this defense could be elite.

I'm curious why 'vanity sites' like the one linked by the OP carry any water with people?

Danny Kelly's opinion is just another fart in the wind, given legitimacy by a bit of fancy html code.

Because it's preseason and we have nothing else to talk about.