Van Miller Wall of Fame

Van Miller and Rick Jeanneret: The voice of Buffalo *SPORTS*!

Fixed :thumbsup:

Ive been saying for years the two guys that need to go on the Wall are Van Miller and Cornelius Bennett. In the Buffalo News article today about Van getting the nod he mentioned how he actually voted for Bennett to go up this year and that his time will be coming up very soon. Great stuff. Both men are long overdue

Fixed :thumbsup:

Ive been saying for years the two guys that need to go on the Wall are Van Miller and Cornelius Bennett. In the Buffalo News article today about Van getting the nod he mentioned how he actually voted for Bennett to go up this year and that his time will be coming up very soon. Great stuff. Both men are long overdue

1,000% agree with everything that you said. Van Miller and Cornelius Bennett absolutely belong on the wall of fame. There is really no debate that either belongs.

With all due respect to John Murphy, Van Miller IS the voice of the Bills. Sad that he missed those OJ years in the 70s. I wonder what he would've done with OJ's record season?

Here's a link titled... "Van Miller Remembers" and speaking of OJ Van tells it like it is at the 7:15 mark speaking of the Juice post football career

When I first saw the alert on my tablet I had thought they were announcing his passing. In the moments between that and reading his induction I found a second of thought where many of my Bills memories came directly from him. Over the years 90% of my Bills intake has been on the radio.

#Billieve'n.

Edited by jboyst62

Here's a link titled... "Van Miller Remembers" and speaking of OJ Van tells it like it is at the 7:15 mark speaking of the Juice post football career

I had heard this interview before. I don't disagree with anything he had to say. It would just have been nice to hear Miller's voice during that legendary season instead of Rick Azar.

I will always have fond memories of all the great calls over the years. Made listening or watching better with his enthusiasm and energy. One thing Buffalo has had over the years is announcers who made the game better between VM and RJ of the Sabres both are all time greats IMO

I had heard this interview before. I don't disagree with anything he had to say. It would just have been nice to hear Miller's voice during that legendary season instead of Rick Azar.

Yes it would have been! not to go off topic but it's strange when I listen to a pirate game on the radio and I hear the voice of Greg Brown who at one time was the color analyst for the Bills I just remember him in the booth with Van after the Christie field goal saying to Van...can we get a do you believe it! in my hometown is the pirates AA affiliate "The Curve" and I've spoken to Greg a few times and he has nothing but the highest admiration for Van.

Let's give credit and criticism where it is due. Azar's call for the 2000 is an all time classic. Van was not good at containing his disappointment when things did not go well. A home town announcer needs to shift to the "it's just a game" reassurance mode when the team suffers a heartbreaking loss, Van was incapable of doing so. When he shared his sorrow in the wake of a defeat it was non-therapeutic. Reese of Philly and the late Bill King of Oakland are the true standard bearers. Jeanneret from the hockey world is at the Reese/king level but miller is not there.

Let's give credit and criticism where it is due. Azar's call for the 2000 is an all time classic. Van was not good at containing his disappointment when things did not go well. A home town announcer needs to shift to the "it's just a game" reassurance mode when the team suffers a heartbreaking loss, Van was incapable of doing so. When he shared his sorrow in the wake of a defeat it was non-therapeutic. Reese of Philly and the late Bill King of Oakland are the true standard bearers. Jeanneret from the hockey world is at the Reese/king level but miller is not there.

Please. While I admire and love the work of both Reese and King (and they were/are great) in no way can you tell me that Van did not have the balance those two did/have. I've heard hundreds of losses on the radio (sad but true) where Van did assume the (your words) "it's just a game" posture. Want proof? Listen the the 90 seconds after Wide Right. I believe he actually uses your phrase with the backdrop of the war to put it into context.

Really?!? There's one in every bunch. Lets find something to criticize our Hall of Fame play-by-play guy for.

The city of Buffalo has been blessed with two of the most incredible team voices in the history of sports with Van Miller and Rick Jeanneret.

I was going to echo the same exact sentiments. I'd also add Rick Azar (Bills) and Ted Darling (Sabres) to that list. Those of us who grew up listening to these great voices are truly blessed.

Congrats to Van Miller. A long overdue and truly deserved honor. Thanks for the memories. :beer:

As an original bills fan [i was 12 in 1960], this is one of the best selections ever. He is without doubt the voice of the Bills, and one of the classiest guys that ever spoke into a microphone. I will make every effort to be there on his special Day.

Great choice for the Bills to honor Van Miller.

When I lived in NE Ohio, (1978---1988) I would listen to the Browns on AM 970. On a warm fall day ~1980

Mrs. Lew and I were at a picnic near the shore of Lake Erie and I had my radio.

I turned the dial to what I thought was 970. As we were listening, I commented, "That's a familiar

voice from the past when we lived in Lewiston." Lo and behold it was Van on WBEN 930 radio.

I guess the radio waves just zipped across Lake Erie without any interference.

So Sunday's in the fall from then on were listening to Van (unless the Bills were televised from Erie PA).

Great memories indeed.