No QB

mannc

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

No

this tired tune again?

give it a rest already - the Bills FO believes in EJ and chose to use their limited picks protecting and supporting him, not drafting another QB.

We may see an undrafted FA QB for depth.

This is a place of discussion. We are discussing.

If EJ sucks, do you honestly think whomever you're bringing it wit ha late round pick is going to look better than either Tuel or our #2 backup, can't even think of his name. Either of them, with a year experience under their belt in the system would be better than some late round pickup.

If EJ sucks, do you honestly think whomever you're bringing it wit ha late round pick is going to look better than either Tuel or our #2 backup, can't even think of his name. Either of them, with a year experience under their belt in the system would be better than some late round pickup.

You obviously don't know how the draft works. Every player is #1 potential. :nana:

How on Earth could you know that? The four guys I mentioned were multiple year starters at major programs and all performed at a very high level. Every one of them has the potential to be better from day one than Tuel or Lewis. The Bills had the worst QB situation in the NFL last year. And yet OBD has made the decision to go into 2014 with the exact same cast of characters. In the short and long term, it is, to say the least, extremely unwise.

We need an experienced backup (like Kolb was supposed to be). We already have QBs with little experience (though Lewis was OK, I still feel sorry for Tuel). It seems logical to think that a healthy Manuel with a full off season to prepare and with an improved OL and more weapons would put us in a better position to win now than a rookie QB (regardless of where he was drafted). As others have said, give the kid a chance to succeed before you run him out of town. Just saying...

We need an experienced backup (like Kolb was supposed to be). We already have QBs with little experience (though Lewis was OK, I still feel sorry for Tuel). It seems logical to think that a healthy Manuel with a full off season to prepare and with an improved OL and more weapons would put us in a better position to win now than a rookie QB (regardless of where he was drafted). As others have said, give the kid a chance to succeed before you run him out of town. Just saying...

Actually, Kolb was supposed to be our starter and give EJ a redshirt year to start his career. EJ made the mistake of legitimately outplaying him all of last off-season and winning the job outright.

GO BILLS!!!

How on Earth could you know that? The four guys I mentioned were multiple year starters at major programs and all performed at a very high level. Every one of them has the potential to be better from day one than Tuel or Lewis. The Bills had the worst QB situation in the NFL last year. And yet OBD has made the decision to go into 2014 with the exact same cast of characters. In the short and long term, it is, to say the least, extremely unwise.

First of all, nobody cares about your four guys college performance. You know why...because if they had tangibles that were going to clearly transition well to the NFL they would not be on the board and available late in the draft.

Second of all, the poster you replied to is 100% correct. The odds of one of those QB's being capable THIS YEAR to come in and perform better than Thad, Dixon or even Tuel (who I think loses his spot to Dixon, but who knows) are very slim. Last year our backup QB's were essentially rookies too...Well Tuel obviously was, but Thad had no real experience as a starter either even though he wasn't a rookie. However, they got very important experience, especially Thad who actually did ok...not great, but ok considering he didn't know the system well as he got here late and had no experience.

So lets look at the reality of last year:

1. Thad gets here late via trade, so he was behind learning the playbook.

2. Tuel was very raw and a project being an undrafted free agent rookie.

3. Every single skill position lost its starter and even some backups throughout the season to injury. So not only were our QB's inexperienced, they also had games in which key offensive players were out or playing hurt. I mean our top 4 WR's, TE, OL, both RB's and even all over our D we were losing people left and right.

To sit here and be upset that we didn't bring in ANOTHER rookie PROJECT QB who had so many question marks about bringing his game to the NFL that they slid to the mid rounds and late rounds is ridiculous in terms of this upcoming year. That QB would NOT be a better weekly starting option over our backups THIS year.

Does that mean that none of them could be good NFL starters...of course not, I mean Brady is a 6th round pick. However, the odds of one of them being able to contribute better than our existing guys this year is low. So why waste a pick on someone who isn't likely to be able to contribute this year? They want to win now! And there is NO reason to believe EJ is injury prone because of one season. He has NO prior injury history and any level of football.

FYI: I don't care what player you are, even the most durable player in the NFL...if you get in the knee like EJ did in Cle game or in preseason, odds are you are going to have a knee injury. The fact he wasn't lost for the season IMO was a miracle and I think that actually was a testament to him because he took a very nasty hit to the knee and survived and came back after a handful of games.

So, no I am not upset they didn't take a QB...I am not surprised they didn't take another project when we already have 2 projects as his backups. They believe in EJ, and so do I, so much I am on the RSVP list to buy his stock from Fantex and already funded my trading account.

PS: The only real option for another QB would have been a seasoned Vet, not another project rookie.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I think the reason people are tired of this discussion is the following - "The next guy on the list is always leagues better than our starter. I mean how could they be worse?" With that rational, no I don't want us to pick up another developmental QB, because the first interception Manuel throws, we will hear "told you so, time to give player X a shot". We need to put our full confidence behind Manuel and give him the weapons and protection he needs to succeed. If Manuel doesn't turn out, putting the 6th round QB in is not likely to make us win, so you have a choice. Stick with Manuel and put all of your support behind him. Or hope you find a Tom Brady in the rough. Which do you really prefer? Which do you think is more likely? Edited by What a Tuel

Actually, Kolb was supposed to be our starter and give EJ a redshirt year to start his career. EJ made the mistake of legitimately outplaying him all of last off-season and winning the job outright.

GO BILLS!!!

BIG mistake!!!! ;)

First of all, nobody cares about your four guys college performance. You know why...because if they had tangibles that were going to clearly transition well to the NFL they would not be on the board and available late in the draft.

Second of all, the poster you replied to is 100% correct. The odds of one of those QB's being capable THIS YEAR to come in and perform better than Thad, Dixon or even Tuel (who I think loses his spot to Dixon, but who knows) are very slim. Last year our backup QB's were essentially rookies too...Well Tuel obviously was, but Thad had no real experience as a starter either even though he wasn't a rookie. However, they got very important experience, especially Thad who actually did ok...not great, but ok considering he didn't know the system well as he got here late and had no experience.

So lets look at the reality of last year:

1. Thad gets here late via trade, so he was behind learning the playbook.

2. Tuel was very raw and a project being an undrafted free agent rookie.

3. Every single skill position lost its starter and even some backups throughout the season to injury. So not only were our QB's inexperienced, they also had games in which key offensive players were out or playing hurt. I mean our top 4 WR's, TE, OL, both RB's and even all over our D we were losing people left and right.

To sit here and be upset that we didn't bring in ANOTHER rookie PROJECT QB who had so many question marks about bringing his game to the NFL that they slid to the mid rounds and late rounds is ridiculous in terms of this upcoming year. That QB would NOT be a better weekly starting option over our backups THIS year.

Does that mean that none of them could be good NFL starters...of course not, I mean Brady is a 6th round pick. However, the odds of one of them being able to contribute better than our existing guys this year is low. So why waste a pick on someone who isn't likely to be able to contribute this year? They want to win now! And there is NO reason to believe EJ is injury prone because of one season. He has NO prior injury history and any level of football.

FYI: I don't care what player you are, even the most durable player in the NFL...if you get in the knee like EJ did in Cle game or in preseason, odds are you are going to have a knee injury. The fact he wasn't lost for the season IMO was a miracle and I think that actually was a testament to him because he took a very nasty hit to the knee and survived and came back after a handful of games.

So, no I am not upset they didn't take a QB...I am not surprised they didn't take another project when we already have 2 projects as his backups. They believe in EJ, and so do I, so much I am on the RSVP list to buy his stock from Fantex and already funded my trading account.

PS: The only real option for another QB would have been a seasoned Vet, not another project rookie.

You are putting lipstick on a pig. The Bills had a much improved roster last year but still finished 6-10 because we went into the season with a rookie starter and two UDFAs from weakling football programs as our backups. This was a historically deep draft. Players taken in the fifth round this year would have gone in the third round in other years. Knowledgable posters (and other experts) projected McCarron, Mettenberger, and Murphy as second or third rounders. They are all three better prospects than Tuel or Lewis, both of whom were turnover factories. It was a missed chance to upgrade the team in the long and short term. This team continues to close its eyes to the fact that its QB situation would be unacceptable to practically any other team in the NFL.

Sink or swim with this admin. Let's hope we swim. It's impossible to argue the logic of drafting insurance to the people who think it means automatically means replacing EJ. Mindboggling that we don't have a backup to a guy whose shown nothing thus far.

Sink or swim with this admin. Let's hope we swim. It's impossible to argue the logic of drafting insurance to the people who think it means automatically means replacing EJ. Mindboggling that we don't have a backup to a guy whose shown nothing thus far.

Let's be honest here. You aren't searching for a solid backup QB. You have already moved on from EJ and are looking to find the next diamond in the rough. If EJ got injured again, are we really expecting 5th round rookie to come in and what? Win games until EJ gets back? Not that fans matter or anything when it comes to decision making but the Tuel fiasco last year is proof fans can't be trusted to wait patiently. More than a few people argued with me (in person) that we should give Tuel a shot after that preseason game. "What do we have to lose". Quite a bit actually when developing a QB on the fly.

this tired tune again?

give it a rest already - the Bills FO believes in EJ and chose to use their limited picks protecting and supporting him, not drafting another QB.

And far be from us morons to question the almighty Bills FO, especially when it comes to management of the quarterback position.