A Bet is a Bet......

This fool (me of course) thought that Aaron Murray would be drafted in round 2. So, as per our bet, here goes...

I know nothing about the NFL Draft. If you have any questions, do contact CBiscuit97.

It's better than losing money :)

PS: I wish that we would have drafted Murray or McCarron, but read the above. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

You aren't the only one. Lots of people thought Murray, McCarron and Mettenberger would be gone by the end of round 3. And Bandit was correct in predicting only one top 10 QB.

Edited by mannc

You aren't the only one. Lots of people thought Murray, McCarron and Mettenberger would be gone by the end of round 3. And Bandit was correct in predicting only only one top 10 QB.

Projecting qbs is tough. No other position can have a guy mocked top ten go on the third day (nassib last year, for instance).

Projecting qbs is tough. No other position can have a guy mocked top ten go on the third day (nassib last year, for instance).

No. I think personnel people know but fans get "QB fever." The media does it's part to build the hype as well.

No. I think personnel people know but fans get "QB fever." The media does it's part to build the hype as well.

Sure but as fans projecting qbs, as this thread is about, it's tough. The swings might not be as large with GMs projections but I think they to some degree still exist still too because if 1-2 teams pass on a guy he can slide a full round. That's not normally the case with a tackle or LB

Bill, we didn't need this draft to know you that you know nothing.

Just kidding, I don't always agree but I enjoy your posts.

What happens with QBs in the draft is always curious. The qualities that make a good QB are so complicated that it seems to make evaluation very difficult.

Kudos Bill. You're a man of your word.

But I think you are confusing football knowledge with draft philosophy. You are one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board. Where you differ from most of us is your disdain for any player other than a possible franchise QB who weighs less than 270 being drafted in the 1st round.

Luckily, you'd never hold a grudge against a player you consider to have been drafted too high. :nana:

You aren't the only one. Lots of people thought Murray, McCarron and Mettenberger would be gone by the end of round 3. And Bandit was correct in predicting only one top 10 QB.

Who thought that outside of this board? Link?

Since you know nothing, does this mean the franchise has not been set back 5 years?

If EJ can play, things look promising. If not, a strong possibility exists by the time we develop a quarterback, many of our star players might be gone or stars no longer. I would not have traded away our best resources to draft a wide receiver, especially in a draft that was absolutely stacked at that position.

So in answer to your specific question, it is certainly possible. All we can do is hope for EJ to become a top shelf NFL QB. If you think that he will, you must be thrilled and I hope that you are right.

This fool (me of course) thought that Aaron Murray would be drafted in round 2. So, as per our bet, here goes...

I know nothing about the NFL Draft. If you have any questions, do contact CBiscuit97.

PS: I wish that we would have drafted Murray or McCarron, but read the above. :)

:thumbsup:

Who thought that outside of this board? Link?

Spend about 5 minutes searching for pre-draft projections. McCarron was generally considered a day 2 pick, at the same level as Derek Carr and Garappolo. Murray projected to go anywhere from late 2 to 4th. Same with Mettenberger, whom Jaworski considered the second-best prospect in the draft. I would take any of them, as well as Boyd, over any of our back-ups.

Sure but as fans projecting qbs, as this thread is about, it's tough. The swings might not be as large with GMs projections but I think they to some degree still exist still too because if 1-2 teams pass on a guy he can slide a full round. That's not normally the case with a tackle or LB

Exactly...

Jerry Jones admitted Manziel was the #1 player on their board when it was the Cowboys turn to pick, but they could not take him because of what you so correctly explained to me right before the Draft...Romo's contract made it impossible...QB's can and do slide big time if the teams with QB needs pass for whatever reason...See Rogers, Quinn, etc...This is not a new thing...The new thing is QB's being over-drafted like Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, and Weeden... B-)

Bill I admire you or owning up on this. It is so much better than the people that wanted Whaley, Brandon, Marrone, etc... strung up in Niagara Square 4 days ago that now want statues built of them at OBD. Those people are trying to quietly do a 180 and hope that no one notices.

We don't always see eye to eye but you are a good poster. Way to follow through on the bet.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, and that doesn't happen often enough.

I salute you Bill, cheers :beer:

AJ, McCarron with two BCS championships under his belt gets drafted in the 5th. Yet the Patriots draft Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round....So, who knows.

If EJ can play, things look promising. If not, a strong possibility exists by the time we develop a quarterback, many of our star players might be gone or stars no longer. I would not have traded away our best resources to draft a wide receiver, especially in a draft that was absolutely stacked at that position.

So in answer to your specific question, it is certainly possible. All we can do is hope for EJ to become a top shelf NFL QB. If you think that he will, you must be thrilled and I hope that you are right.

This is/has been my biggest concern all along. Teams simply don't keep good players like they used to. I'm on record as not liking much at all about EJ and I fear we're letting the best talent we've had this century visit and go without winning. I don't have to recite the names. I would be in favor of trading for Eli, Rivers, Cutler ANYBODY who's proven themselves at a higher level than any of the QBs on this roster.

This is/has been my biggest concern all along. Teams simply don't keep good players like they used to. I'm on record as not liking much at all about EJ and I fear we're letting the best talent we've had this century visit and go without winning. I don't have to recite the names. I would be in favor of trading for Eli, Rivers, Cutler ANYBODY who's proven themselves at a higher level than any of the QBs on this roster.

Cutler is just good enough to get you to the playoffs and lose.

I would rather swing and miss with EJ than trust this loser.

Bill, The issue isn't whether he will be a top shelf qb (your words), the issue is whether he can be a legitimate starting qb. Just because your qb is not an upper tier qb doesn't mean that your team can't compete at a high level. In my estimation EJ is never going to be a prolific passer like Brees or Peyton. That is not his game. What the Bills need from EJ is for him to play competently and give his team a chance.

The Watkins deal makes sense if EJ can elevate his game to being an average starting caliber qb. If his accuracy and decision making continue to be at the rudimentary level then Watkins's talents will be squandered and the tradeup deal will turn out to be a mistake.

Whatever criticisms anyone has with Whaley they can't say that he is a passive GM who is not willing to gamble to upgrade this team. I find it refreshing that a little creativity was brought to the table instead of the tiresome boring and sluggish approach that thislackluster organization has been noted for.

Huge props for manning up. Honestly, I forgot so well on you. Even though we disagree (a lot :) ), I always respected the discussion.

I like Murray. I would have taken him in the 4th or later. But I just thought this entire Qb was completely overrated and got so sick about hearing about it all offseason. Apparently, most NFL GMs agreed with. The only one to go higher than EJ was a guy who essentially had the same stats and combine #s as EJ (EJ was than better Bortles in most categories).

We have no idea how any of these QBs will turn out, but EJ has as good of a chance as any of them IMO. But much respect Bill. :beer:

Cutler is just good enough to get you to the playoffs and lose.

I would rather swing and miss with EJ than trust this loser.

I think he's only been there once in his career so he's not even good enough to get you there.

Murray's injury made him projected 4th or lower iirc. Mettenberger should have went higher but was out smoking that Maui Wowie with Seantrel Henderson and co.

Tahj Boyd is gonna kick our butts with the jets in a few years.

Mettenberger is whatever and he played with a very good supporting cast. Boyd is this year's Tory Smith. It's amazing how many of these QBs were 1st rounders and didn't go until the 4th or later.

I keep seeing this said as if he had excuses last year. What excuses did he have last year?

Last year:

Rookie QB

Multiple injuries

Spiller injured

Shaky OL

WR corps inexperienced (and SJ hurt)

This year:

2nd year in system

Healthy (says both knees are 100%)

OL upgrades (on paper)

WR talent upgraded (Watkins, Williams) and Woods/Goodwin also in 2nd year

Spiller healthy

That's what I mean by "no excuses"

Last year:

Rookie QB

Multiple injuries

Spiller injured

Shaky OL

WR corps inexperienced (and SJ hurt)

This year:

2nd year in system

Healthy (says both knees are 100%)

OL upgrades (on paper)

WR talent upgraded (Watkins, Williams) and Woods/Goodwin also in 2nd year

Spiller healthy

That's what I mean by "no excuses"

Agreed. IMO, I also would have kept SJ and tagged Byrd. But there are no excuses.

Huge props for manning up. Honestly, I forgot so well on you. Even though we disagree (a lot :) ), I always respected the discussion.

I like Murray. I would have taken him in the 4th or later. But I just thought this entire Qb was completely overrated and got so sick about hearing about it all offseason. Apparently, most NFL GMs agreed with. The only one to go higher than EJ was a guy who essentially had the same stats and combine #s as EJ (EJ was than better Bortles in most categories).

We have no idea how any of these QBs will turn out, but EJ has as good of a chance as any of them IMO. But much respect Bill. :beer:

I think he's only been there once in his career so he's not even good enough to get you there.

Mettenberger is whatever and he played with a very good supporting cast. Boyd is this year's Tory Smith. It's amazing how many of these QBs were 1st rounders and didn't go until the 4th or later.

Been lurking here for years. I dont post alot, but this is why im always here. :thumbsup: Way to keep it classy guys..... and this was hilarious as well!