Josh Gordon supended for 1 year

JPS

It certainly sounds crazy, but it's coming from Mary Kay Cabot. After hearing about how great the Browns did yesterday, I admit to succumbing to a little schadenfreude:

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 13m

per @mortreport, coaches found out Gordon facing suspension 90 mins ago. Source tells me some folks in #Browns org have known for 2 weeks.

Thatis unbelievable. Wow.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

So lets be honest.... There's a good chance pettine knew and is saying the right things now? Atleast one would hope. And still points to their GM passing on Stevie in favor of the 4 either way, which you'd guess he'd ask pettine for input on.

Edited by NoSaint

Not sure if it's already been said but, i find it very odd that ray rice can beat a woman into a near coma and will likely play football, but a guy smokes some pot and he's axed for an entire year? I know rules are rules but, geez.

Not sure if it's already been said but, i find it very odd that ray rice can beat a woman into a near coma and will likely play football, but a guy smokes some pot and he's axed for an entire year? I know rules are rules but, geez.

Rice will probably miss some time....

And Gordon's a habitual offender of a program the players negotiated. First strike is zero games or publicity in the drug program. Rice, likely, gets something more than that.

So lets be honest.... There's a good chance pettine knew and is saying the right things now? Atleast one would hope. And still points to their GM passing on Stevie in favor of the 4 either way, which you'd guess he'd ask pettine for input on.

I agree. No way the GM knew and didn't let the coach in on it. Boneheads

Why can't players just wait 5-10 years after their NFL career is over and then smoke all the pot they want? I don't get it.

because you will get from fired from your job too, we lost 3 guys to weed and had another 6 suspended.

Cleveland dropped the ball in not getting Manziel some weapons, they are going to get him killed, should have drafted Amaro or Marquis Lee.

Others may disagree, but I find the Browns' front office to be borderline negligent in how they have conducted this draft, knowing the status on Gordon. If the Mort Report is true and Pettine did not know about this until yesterday, he's got to be thinking "what did I get myself into" at this point.

Just on Thursday night, the Browns:

-- traded out of a spot at which they would have had their pick of an offensive playmaker like Watkins or Evans (knowing Gordon will be on the shelf)

-- drafted a DB when a guy like Odell Beckham was available

-- succumbed to fan pressure and the whims of a meddling owner to draft Johnny Football

Ridiculous -- at least in my opinion.

Others may disagree, but I find the Browns' front office to be borderline negligent in how they have conducted this draft, knowing the status on Gordon. If the Mort Report is true and Pettine did not know about this until yesterday, he's got to be thinking "what did I get myself into" at this point.

-- traded out of a spot at which they would have had their pick of an offensive playmaker like Watkins or Evans (knowing Gordon will be on the shelf)

-- succumbed to fan pressure and the whims of a meddling owner to draft Johnny Football

I don't think the Johnny Football acquisition was a bad one. I honestly thought they might do it at 4. But assuming that their GM didn't know until right before round 2, when presumably he had his gameplan, JM doesn't really have anyone to throw to.

Of course, the suspension could be overblown and I have a sneaking suspicious that Groban will be back in November, but man, you have to help a young QB out, as we know from experience.

I don't have a problem with the Manziel pick, they were going to pick a QB anyway.

I do question the decision of Ray Farmer to completely ignore the WR position knowing they will be losing Josh Gordon for a year possibly. The WR core in Cleveland was already pretty thin opposite Gordon. Then they had an opportunity at the top of the 2nd? Questionable.

Oh well, not my favorite team to worry about.

I don't have a problem with the Manziel pick, they were going to pick a QB anyway.

I do question the decision of Ray Farmer to completely ignore the WR position knowing they will be losing Josh Gordon for a year possibly. The WR core in Cleveland was already pretty thin opposite Gordon. Then they had an opportunity at the top of the 2nd? Questionable.

Oh well, not my favorite team to worry about.

Also Nate Burleson who they just signed in FA broke his arm in OTAs. However, he should be back by TC.

It's possible that Farmer told Pettine, against league rules. Even if he didn't though, Farmer knew about the suspension and still allowed the Bills to trade up to #4 and take the best offensive player in the draft. And furthermore didn't even add a WR in the first 3 rounds. Their only other threat in the receiving corps is TE Jordan Cameron, but Gordon opens everything up for them and is essentially Mike Evans for Manziel, and teams can now focus on Cameron. Manziel is going to have a hard time, assuming he starts this season.

Per Chris Mortenson twitter, the Browns FO knew 2 weeks ago but the coaches learned on Friday:

"Under policy, when player is facing possible removal from field, owner and high-level execs are informed but prohibited from telling staff"

Gordon isn't suspended yet but according to Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Mary Kay Cabot, Gordon was already in the NFL's Stage 3 substance abuse program, getting tested a lot, and this is a 3rd violation. So a suspension or even 1 year banishment from the NFL looks fairly likely.

Wonder who they'll get for JF to throw to

This thought has occurred to me. Ever since Reefer Madness, this country gets knotted up over what some might perceive as the wrong things.