Josh Gordon supended for 1 year

JPS

You argued vigorously and repeatedly and ridiculously against the bolded when it was pointed out to you a few years ago. As always, you do come around.

Oh, the irony! Anyway...

I haven't "come around" because there's nothing to come around in this instance. I said obviously Goodell used the hit-and-run as a first incident, even though Lynch got little more than a traffic ticket. Now I know that Goodell uses a first incident, even minor, as a starting point from which to mete-out punishment. Which is why I say he won't suspend Dareus.

As for Dareus, he was in possession of a class 1 felony substance. I'm sure the prosecutor will argue that he was getting high on this substance to avoid a positive league drug test. I'm not sure what mitigating circumstances the Dareus law team will point to except "hey, it's his first offense!".

So let me ask you: do you think he'll be charged with a felony or that a misdemeanor will be enough to get him suspended?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the irony! Anyway...

I haven't "come around" because there's nothing to come around in this instance. I said obviously Goodell used the hit-and-run as a first incident, even though Lynch got little more than a traffic ticket. Now I know that Goodell uses a first incident, even minor, as a starting point from which to mete-out punishment. Which is why I say he won't suspend Dareus.

So let me ask you: do you think he'll be charged with a felony or that a misdemeanor will be enough to get him suspended?

You now say what the rest of us said at the time (and you would not concede) is that Lynch was drunk that night.

As for your question, I have answered it several times already. But I will say it again so you can write it down some where. It doesn't matter. If he is convicted of a crime involving illegal (banned or not) substance of abuse, he is on the hook for 4 games. This is not disputable. Whether Goodell gives him all for games, who knows. But he is well within his authority (given to him by the owners AND the NFLPA to do so. And there is nothing in that rule that mentions "first offense".

You say he will get no suspension. I don't see how that is possible.

You now say what the rest of us said at the time (and you would not concede) is that Lynch was drunk that night.

No, I said Goodell probably suspects he was.

As for your question, I have answered it several times already. But I will say it again so you can write it down some where. It doesn't matter. If he is convicted of a crime involving illegal (banned or not) substance of abuse, he is on the hook for 4 games. This is not disputable. Whether Goodell gives him all for games, who knows. But he is well within his authority (given to him by the owners AND the NFLPA to do so. And there is nothing in that rule that mentions "first offense".

You say he will get no suspension. I don't see how that is possible.

How do you explain Nick Kaczur, who was arrested in 2008, 2 years after Goodell became Commish, with 202 oxycodone pills with intent to distribute, and he wasn't suspended?

Why would Goodell assume Lynch was drunk?

2 months after Goodell started? Come on doc. Aren't you the one who says Goodell has had to establish a pattern of behavior for you to figure out what he might do? Now you're citing his treatment of a player after only 2 months on the job?

Anyway, I'm not sure when the rule regarding conviction for substances of abuse bringing 4 games was put into the CBA. May have been after 2008.

Why would Goodell assume Lynch was drunk?

2 months after Goodell started? Come on doc. Aren't you the one who says Goodell has had to establish a pattern of behavior for you to figure out what he might do? Now you're citing his treatment of a player after only 2 months on the job?

Anyway, I'm not sure when the rule regarding conviction for substances of abuse bringing 4 games was put into the CBA. May have been after 2008.

2 years WEO. 2 years.