WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

How else are we supposed to draft a player in the first round without using our pick??? We can't sign an IOU or use Bitcoin. Yes, we use our first round pick to draft a player (just as Cleveland used our first round pick to draft Gilbert). We have a net loss of ONE FIRST ROUND pick (2015).

So would you say that since they net out for Gilbert that he didn't cost them any picks? I mean they got an extra 1st in return. So Gilbert didn't cost them anything? Or did he cost them 1 pick?

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I am forgetting something, since Whaley has assumed control he has made five trades.

1) Our #1 last year for EJ and Kiko. Even if you don't like EJ yet, that was a helluva trade.

2) Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes. Highway robbery.

3) Mike Williams for a 6th rounder. We don't know yet but that seems like a steal.

4) The Watkins trade. That is a swing for the fences deal. I love it. A lot of people don't but we won't know for three years (unless he's an absolute stud as a rookie, which I doubt).

5) now the Stevie one.

The only ones we know the answer to were great trades. The next one seems like a very good one. So I am giving Whaley the benefit of the doubt in building a team and a roster.

On the surface, we didn't get a lot of return for Stevie. Although many people think that Mike Williams is a better player and we only gave up a sixth for him. But the GM's job is to build a team. The combination of Watkins, MWilliams, Woods and Goodwin is very exciting to me, especially with Spiller.

Nice take, Kelly.

GO BILLS!!!

So would you say that since they net out for Gilbert that he didn't cost them any picks? I mean they got an extra 1st in return. So Gilbert didn't cost them anything? Or did he cost them 1 pick?

A drafted player doesn't "cost" a pick.

So that's where the logical discussion of this move is taking place.

Reading some of the comments on here is making my head hurt.

He's an excellent player that we got rid of for basically nothing. This is an unbelievably stupid move and typical of the mouthbreathing crowd to be happy about it.

We are the laughing stock of the league yet again.

Stevie Johnson has been a good player. Excellent? Not hardly.

And perhaps the mouthbreathers are the people who are unable to assess a nuanced situation and instead go with the a knee jerk reaction. Consider:

• Stevie Johnson has been hurt every year for what, 2, 3, 4 years? I've lost track.
  • Mike Williams and Stevie have virtually identical numbers, plus Williams is younger and cheaper.
  • Woods has the makings of being a solid WR.
  • Goodwin is a burner who can actually catch the ball.
  • Watkins might end up being one of the best WRs in franchise history before it's all over.
  • Hogan and Easley contribute on special teams, Stevie does not.
  • As of this morning, Stevie was ony the 3rd or 4th best WR on the team and became expendable.
  • It's doubtful Stevie's 2014 production could justify his contract.
  • Stevie's getting older and it was smart to get value for him.
  • Given the Ravens got a 6th for Boldin, a 4th/3rd conditional is a great move.

Uniquely talented to run routes in front of the first down markers on 3rd down, to not stretch the field, to drop TD passes, and to perform asinine celebrations against the coaches direction.

I LOL'd. Don't forget his unique talent to dress up like Chan Gailey for Halloween also.

congrats haters you win. you got what you wanted, obviously he was holding the team back from winning the super bowl. good thing the bills have a bunch of unproven players. hate this move, good for stevie now he has a chance to win some games and possibly a super bowl. i am not pleased at all. really pissed.

We hate cuz he couldn't deliver! I guess you love non deliverers!

Stevie Johnson has been a good player. Excellent? Not hardly.

And perhaps the mouthbreathers are the people who are unable to assess a nuanced situation and instead go with the a knee jerk reaction. Consider:

• Stevie Johnson has been hurt every year for what, 2, 3, 4 years? I've lost track.
  • Mike Williams and Stevie have virtually identical numbers, plus Williams is younger and cheaper.
  • Woods has the makings of being a solid WR.
  • Goodwin is a burner who can actually catch the ball.
  • Watkins might end up being one of the best WRs in franchise history before it's all over.
  • Hogan and Easley contribute on special teams, Stevie does not.
  • As of this morning, Stevie was ony the 3rd or 4th best WR on the team and became expendable.
  • It's doubtful Stevie's 2014 production could justify his contract.
  • Stevie's getting older and it was smart to get value for him.
  • Given the Ravens got a 6th for Boldin, a 4th/3rd conditional is a great move.

I wish I could like this post 1000 times over.

This appears to be a fitting tribute Buffalo style. A player who was good, not great that gets beloved by a town willing to embrace goodness and shun greatness. Fear the potential greatness of Watkins, wallow in the misery of lost goodness...

Maybe Stevie, Briere and Drury should open a restaurant together.

Cause that Williams guy, he has not antics or character concerns.

He's seems to make poor choices off the field, of that there is no doubt, and hopefully he'll have a mentor to help him with some of that stuff. But I don't recall him costing his team 15 yards with stupid and selfish look-at-me celebration penalties. That matters.

Unless I am forgetting something, since Whaley has assumed control he has made five trades.

1) Our #1 last year for EJ and Kiko. Even if you don't like EJ yet, that was a helluva trade.

2) Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes. Highway robbery.

3) Mike Williams for a 6th rounder. We don't know yet but that seems like a steal.

4) The Watkins trade. That is a swing for the fences deal. I love it. A lot of people don't but we won't know for three years (unless he's an absolute stud as a rookie, which I doubt).

5) now the Stevie one.

The only ones we know the answer to were great trades. The next one seems like a very good one. So I am giving Whaley the benefit of the doubt in building a team and a roster.

On the surface, we didn't get a lot of return for Stevie. Although many people think that Mike Williams is a better player and we only gave up a sixth for him. But the GM's job is to build a team. The combination of Watkins, MWilliams, Woods and Goodwin is very exciting to me, especially with Spiller.

+100000

there has to be more to this than just football x's and o's. the guy is a good player and they already paid him the roster bonus so why trade him now? my guess is they don't like stevie's attitude and they probably think he's a bad influence on the younger guys. if that's the case then so be it. otherwise F this, there's no rule that says you can't have TOO MANY good players!!!

If Stevie Johnson was undisputably the best receiver on the team, then nobody would be disputing it. But they are. They have been. Throughout last season, throughout this thread...for a long time now.

Why do we need only one good receiver on the team?

This is akin to the falcons going - Well we have Julio Jones now....time for Roddy White to go.

Edited by What a Tuel

No. We no longer have a fourth round pick in 2015, and we no longer have this years 1st, and next years 1st. All for Watkins. (Which I didn't have a problem with, until we got rid of our best receiver (until proven otherwise) to recoup the 4th round pick)

Incorrect. We do have this years first. His name is Sammy Watkins.

It's a bad business decision in your opinion. Coaches and GM's put their stamp on an organization. It's not the mark of a good coach to try and make everyone happy. It's his job to put the best team on the field, by his view. Obviously the current staff felt that he didn't fit.

A good coach solves the trust issue EJ had with SJ instead of just letting him be dealt away.

Where they right? The team's 2014 record will be the determining factor.

Would be ironic if we make it to the big one and end up versus the niners and SJ makes the winning TD heh.

As far as the Bills being "broke".........sorry but it's not true.

Broke? Who's saying anything about broke...