WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

I don't like the trade. We get a 4th next year - not a lot of value. If it becomes a 3rd I'd feel a little better. But not much. I don't see Mike Williams as a viable replacement, and in fact there's reason for concern that he may flame out in one way or another. In which case, we just lost one of our top receivers because we were "too crowded" at the position. Watkins may be great, but many rookie receivers take until year 3 to break out. I have to wonder if Stevie was looking to go back to SF for personal reasons. Anyhow, I don't think we are taking big steps forward this offseason so far.

The Bills gave up their number 3 WR for a 4th round pick. That's a pretty good return.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...we lost/spent one first round pick. It's a question of Sammy-antics

No. We no longer have a fourth round pick in 2015, and we no longer have this years 1st, and next years 1st. All for Watkins. (Which I didn't have a problem with, until we got rid of our best receiver (until proven otherwise) to recoup the 4th round pick)

Go root for them already. Leave here and to follow Stevie it sure beats you having frustration for us cutting the #4 WR on this roster and his over 8 mill per year salary and hearing you whine about it

This coming from someone who whines all the time? How ironic!!!

Graham - Shouldn't be on a NFL roster

Woods - Unproven but perhaps could be a #2

Goodwin - A burner

Watkins - High upside to be a #1 but has never played an NFL game

Williams - HUGE wildcard on and off the field.

We traded our most reliable WR at a time our starting WR core is very raw and unproven. However the bigger issue with trading stevie is losing a proven body that can play the position. Injuries happen and we have horrific depth beyond these guys.

I don't think we are good enough or have the depth that makes it smart to trade a guy like Stevie.

I think Goodwin is more than a burner. He was very good last year when Stevie was out injured and in the top 2 WRs on the depth chart for games. He can catch and find the ball. He also plays bigger than his size and has sick hands. Hope he plays more!

No. We no longer have a fourth round pick in 2015, and we no longer have this years 1st, and next years 1st. All for Watkins. (Which I didn't have a problem with, until we got rid of our best receiver (until proven otherwise) to recoup the 4th round pick)

Johnson was the second best WR last year (3rd if you note that Chandler had a better year than him). He was NOT the best WR on the team. Woods is clearly much better.

It is certainly in the same class as trading Marshawn Lynch. How did that work out? This is a great trade for the 49er's. They get a proven NFL receiver for a 4th round pick. Sweet deal. The Bills front office seems determined to make their last few months on the job memorable, if not productive!

Bad deal.

The Bills re-signed Stevie Johnson and Buddy Nix said, "One of our philosophies coming in is that we wanted to keep our good players here. We were able to do that with Steve Johnson." Now Nix wasn't too successful overall, but keeping your best players is generally a good idea.

I guess Doug Whaley has a different philosophy. Trade away next year's 1st and 4th round picks to move up 5 slots in the draft. Whaley lets our best safety go for free (Jairus Byrd) and lets our best receiver (Stevie Johnson) go for a likely very late 4th round pick. Is this a winning strategy?

Yep. Lets ignore all the good moves and focus on the ones we dont like. Whaley is terrible. Fire him now.

Oh my god. By your logic, every team except the Redskins and Seahawks gave up their 1st round pick.

I would agree. This seems like the most we could get for him. They have done their homework and shopping and know the value. If they could have gotten a higher pick or a 4th in this years draft they would have done it. Especially since the 4th round is not till tomorrow, so, they could not have been close to getting a 4th this year. If they were close, I don't think they would have done this deal till after rounds two and three unless they were scared SF would draft a WR and this offer would dry up. Carolina must not have been interested too. I thought it was more than we could have got for him.

This will probably wind up being a 3rd rounder. And that’s a pretty good haul for Stevie. First and Second round picks are hard to come by unless it’s a QB or LT or CB. The premium positions. And the Bills did Stevie a solid sending him home to the Bay area. I don’t think that was by accident.

This years first was swapped for the 4th pick. We didn’t lose a first round pick this year.

Interesting thread by Seattle fans makes it sounds like the Bills are a bunch of bumbling idiots. I disagree with their take. Do they even take into consideration Stevie's gimpy groin every year? or that Watkins will be um, great?!?

http://www.seahawks....php?f=4&t=92804

Or that Stevie is gonna make Richard Sherman his personal B word twice a year?

GO BILLS!!!

I would suggest practicing taking deep breaths. This was a business decision. Decisions like this happen in the NFL every year. Take a look at the long list of current veterans who don't have a job. There are some pretty decent players there.

It's the way things go.

No NFL franchise is broke. It's called the salary cap.

His contract (without the signing bonus which will count against our cap with or without trade):

Base: $3,650,000

Workout Bonus: $275,000

Cap #: $3,925,000

Base: $5,500,000

Roster Bonus: $250,000

Cap #: $6,025,000

Base: $5,850,000

Cap #: $6,125,000

Find me one quality number 2 receiver for that kind of money. Stupid business move is a stupid business move. There may be other reasons behind this trade, such as complete lack of chemistry between him and EJ and maybe even struggles with coach. But a good coach would fix that.

Yep. Lets ignore all the good moves and focus on the ones we dont like. Whaley is terrible. Fire him now.

No need to fire him now, the new owner will be doing that within a year and Whaley will be just a footnote in Bills history.

Anyone know how much cap space this saves us next year?

CBF

None. I think the dead money is 10 million, but it only counts in 2014. 2015 the Bills are free of it. So it shouldn’t affect re-signing and signing free agents.

Edited by purple haze

Johnson was the second best WR last year (3rd if you note that Chandler had a better year than him). He was NOT the best WR on the team. Woods is clearly much better.

How do you figure? Johnson had more yards, and tds with less games played. I won't argue that Woods might have more upside, but statistically Johnson was better last year despite playing through injuries.