RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

Just got back from a couple of different draft parties where it has been nothing less than a consensus that the Bills made a great move and got a great player. Yet I come back here, and it's more of the same bitching and moaning. Too bad some folks just can't be excited about a simple past time.

You're right. There is plenty of draft left to address our non-crucial needs (as Whaley had already set us up to have no major, crucial needs).

Huge move. Love it. Go Bills!

Sounds like you had a good time, DrD. Better than here, obviously. I just logged on a little while ago and expected to see some excited reactions...couldn't believe some of the tripe being written by people who, by their own admission, know little to nothing about Watkins. Amazingly obtuse. This board used to be great and many of this constant doom and gloom crowd has driven away some very good posters. It's a shame really. If the Bills make you completely miserable, why bother following them??

Why would a bad team trade a first round pick to draft a receiver when they don't even known if they have a QB to throw him the ball?

This is such a stupid move.

Because they think he's the type of receiver that can turn safe/easy throws into big plays in a way you don't often find?

And outside questions at qb it's not a bad roster?

Edited by NoSaint

Can I also add that after draft night I rarely feel like we made big steps in the the division but, albeit at a high cost, I think we got much better than the other 3 did tonight?

Totally agree with this take...Pryor is a good DB...But the Jets could not help their incredibly needy Offense in the 1st...The Fish had to reach a bit for their RT...And NE took a 290 lb DT coming off an injury...

The Bills got a guy that is considered one of top 3 players in the entire Draft...And a guy that was #1 on their board...So... B-)

Watkins could be a

Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones like talent. EJ is going to be just fine and this makes our offense dynamic. 3 years from now this will be the best pick n this draft

Official meltdown over acquiring great wideout ? Nice !!

...sadly, my potential meltdown over getting Beckham at 9 would have been worse.

Look, I like Watkins. I really do. I will just REITERATE,

Because people SEEM TO FORGET

Trading 2 firsts and a 4th for 1 first is risky. I hope to see immediate production. I think that there is chance that production could have achieved with later picks. By giving up less. Or staying, and taking Ebron (who would have been there). So I see zero problem with holding Watkins to that standard.

Sounds like you had a good time, DrD. Better than here, obviously. I just logged on a little while ago and expected to see some excited reactions...couldn't believe some of the tripe being written by people who, by their own admission, know little to nothing about Watkins. Amazingly obtuse. This board used to be great and many of this constant doom and gloom crowd has driven away some very good posters. It's a shame really. If the Bills make you completely miserable, why bother following them??

I hear ya, Ex. Was very excited to log back on myself, thinking that this was finally the move and pick that Bills fans have been waiting for. Only to find its the "Same Ol Bills FANS" instead of the Same Ol Bills. Oh well, what can you do, some people just like to be miserable and they all seem to post here.

Have a great night, and great rest of your weekend!

...sadly, my potential meltdown over getting Beckham at 9 would have been worse.

Trading 2 firsts and a 4th for 1 first is risky. I hope to see immediate production. I think that there is chance that production could have achieved with later picks. By giving up less. Or staying, and taking Ebron (who would have been there). So I see zero problem with holding Watkins to that standard.

Meh. If you think this guy will have a career similar to Megatron or Julio Jones, you act decisively. The gulf between that kind of player and a very solid starter is still pretty vast. He should be held to that standard and we should all be thrilled with the potential.

They traded ONE FIRST, not two...NEXT YEAR'S. The 9 THIS YEAR was a SWAP for 4. Get it yet??! Holy $hite!

They gave up two picks in next year's draft. If Watkins is as good as they think, Bills should be drafting in bottom part of the order, so the value they gave up is not that big. Plus, it's very possible they gain another pick this year by dealing Stevie.

It will be a weak draft class next year. Exodus of underclassmen due to the last contract. Bills 1st next season might be equal in talent to a 2nd rounder this year. 98 underclassmen is nearly double of last years. I get your point. Only time will tell if it was a good trade.

I hear ya, Ex. Was very excited to log back on myself, thinking that this was finally the move and pick that Bills fans have been waiting for. Only to find its the "Same Ol Bills FANS" instead of the Same Ol Bills. Oh well, what can you do, some people just like to be miserable and they all seem to post here.

Have a great night, and great rest of your weekend!

I will. You, as well! Can't wait for tomorrow night! :rolleyes: :nana: GO BILLS!!!

I still say we nab RB Hyde in the 2nd if he's still available. Then come back & grab an OT in the 3rd, then DE & LB.

Still beating the Cyrus drum at 41 (good value great fit) and then aggressively (maybe even step up from 3) get a TE depending on how the round falls. I think the latter of either ASJ and nicklas can last a bit deeper than Cyrus does and because of chandler it's not as urgent if things fall apart

Things look to be falling nicely so far

Your intellect is dazzling us all... Dynamite analysis.

But he's bang on...There is every indication that EJ is either not an NFL QB/or an injury problem...this leaves the Bills searching for a QB next year with our 2nd rounder?

It's a huge push in the chips on EJ gamble

What a freaking AWESOMMMME day 1 for the bills. Considered by many as the best player in the draft, and we GOT HIM. And we got him without giving up another pick this season. OUTSTAAAAAAANDINGGGGG.

Ill gladly give up our 1st next year after we make the playoffs this year.

On a sidenote, negativity on this board by a few is pathetic. There are times to b*tch and moan and be critical and there are times to celebrate. I expected a different reaction on here.

Meh. If you think this guy will have a career similar to Megatron or Julio Jones, you act decisively. The gulf between that kind of player and a very solid starter is still pretty vast. He should be held to that standard and we should all be thrilled with the potential.

I'm not sure he should as much as Whaley should - a subtle but important distinction that if he's just very good it's not his fault we gave up a lot. We often vilify good players because our GM gave a premium resource for them

I'll say this: I am not happy about this trade. BUT, I was feeling pretty bored with the prospect of Ebron (who we debated to death), or Martin, or Barr, or Lewan at #9. I don't know... it's hard to get excited about an OT, or an OLB. This is some pretty risky, and exciting stuff. Watkins will be FUN to follow. I hope.

Still beating the Cyrus drum at 41 (good value great fit) and then aggressively (maybe even step up from 3) get a TE depending on how the round falls. I think the latter of either ASJ and nicklas can last a bit deeper than Cyrus does and because of chandler it's not as urgent if things fall apart

Things look to be falling nicely so far

Agreed. I like ASJ, but we probably should emphasize RT.