A case to be made for Zack Martin

He shouldn't be taken at pick 9. Being a safe talent does not an elite talent make. In the top 10 a team should be getting

a difference maker. If that can't be obtained at 9 then the Bills either need to trade up and get that talent or trade down

and see if Martin is still there at that point.

Whaley and co. have me utterly confused so they are doing a hell of a job leading up to next week. I can see them trading

up, trading down or staying put and taking a WR, TE, OL, DL or LB. LOL

I believe the case Kelly is making is that Martin is being evaluated as an elite talent -- not just at one position but multiple. That is the definition of an elite talent in my book since there aren't many guys who can do that. It's an interesting idea if that's really how Martin is grading out and that kind of portability (maybe a better term since it's beyond versatility, you can plug Martin into any position on the line and get a 4 star talent, maybe 5) is worth it, even at 9.

That assumes though that every team has him graded the same, which I'm not sure happens as much as the media makes it seem with the months and months of mock draft hysteria. That said, I do think that trading down, even two spots, could get you Martin and a pick. That's a plan I could be on board with. But if Martin ends up the pick at nine, this article will help me from dying of alcohol poisoning Thursday night.

So it's got that going for it....

Edited by GreggyT

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade down and grab Matrin, obtain another Rd2 pick and bundle both Rd2 picks (maybe include a 3rd or 4th next yr depending on trade values) to trade back into late Rd1 if there is a guy still there that is high on their board?

Can you imagine if in the deepest draft in 30 years the Bills use a top 10 pick on the 4th OT off the board to play RT?!? I cannot fathom this. Maybe they like Martin but they are not taking him at 9.

Well said!

Based on what? Mel Kiper? If Mayock is correct, and at least three GMs have Martin rated the #1 OT then he is not #4 IMO, if your own scouts and GM also have him highly rated. Also, if the 2 or 3 guy is just barely better, but this guy can play all 5 positions, as well as not demand a huge LT contract down the line and be a malcontent if you re-sign Glenn, then overall it may be a much wiser decision.

I'm not even saying he is a very good player. I've never watched him myself. The point of the post is, if Mayock is correct, and the Bills like this guy as much or very close to the other three, he may be a shrewd, wise, extremely beneficial and valuable pick.

You lost me after the part about Mayock being correct! LOL this is a terrible idea @ #9

You lost me after the part about Mayock being correct! LOL this is a terrible idea @ #9

Actually, it was what he reported about what GMs in the NFL told him that I was referring to, and not his personal opinion of the player. It's possible they were lying to him, hence I said "If he is correct..."

Actually, it was what he reported about what GMs in the NFL told him that I was referring to, and not his personal opinion of the player. It's possible they were lying to him, hence I said "If he is correct..."

Not to be rude, but wouldn't it b if the GM's are correct? Seeing he is regurgitating what a couple GM's said.

I just think Mayock and the rest of em are clowns!

Edited by snamsnoops

Not to be rude, but wouldn't it b if the GM's are correct? Seeing he is regurgitating what a couple GM's said.

I just think Mayock and the rest of em are clowns!

No, it would still be if Mayock is correct... it's not an exact science... you have to draft based on opinions, not facts... if he os correct that at least three GMs have Martin rated as the #1 overall OT then it seems it would not be a reach to choose him at 9 IF and only if Whaley and the Bills scouts also have him rated as high as the other guys.

I say we draft a T in the first round every year so that when these superstar o-linemen can't be re-signed (because they are so awesome), they guy we lose can be replaced by the guy drafted the year before!

I think he's on to something...

I say we draft a T in the first round every year so that when these superstar o-linemen can't be re-signed (because they are so awesome), they guy we lose can be replaced by the guy drafted the year before!

I think he's on to something...

That's exactly why I don't really want Matthews or Lewan or Robinson.

I believe the case Kelly is making is that Martin is being evaluated as an elite talent -- not just at one position but multiple. That is the definition of an elite talent in my book since there aren't many guys who can do that. It's an interesting idea if that's really how Martin is grading out and that kind of portability (maybe a better term since it's beyond versatility, you can plug Martin into any position on the line and get a 4 star talent, maybe 5) is worth it, even at 9.

That assumes though that every team has him graded the same, which I'm not sure happens as much as the media makes it seem with the months and months of mock draft hysteria. That said, I do think that trading down, even two spots, could get you Martin and a pick. That's a plan I could be on board with. But if Martin ends up the pick at nine, this article will help me from dying of alcohol poisoning Thursday night.

So it's got that going for it....

I hear you. But... Well, if it happens at least we had warning first so it won't be a shock. But I hope Martin isn't the pick at 9.

In Martin, you'd be taking a Pro Bowl OG at the very least and I assume 2 RD2 players in the trade-down. To me, that's better than Matthews and one RD2 player.

We have Martin going at #19 to Miami right now, so a trade with Baltimore at #17 is a possibility. Ravens are looking for (RT, DE, and S) so they might trade up for Matthews or Clinton-Dix at 9.

17 up to 9 will cost them a RD2 this year and a RD3 next year. Here's one way that plays out:

BUF

RD1---Martin OG

RD2---Seferian-Jenkins TE

RD2---Breeland CB/S

RD3---Moncrief WR

RD4---Hill RB

I like the logic, but you didn't address RT. if we really needed a stop gap at RT going with your philosophy we'd need to pick up Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo. They would be one year flier at a low cost, and they can both still play. I'm not saying this is the solution, just if you follow your draft board, then you have go back to free agency and get someone.

One more point. I don't understand the logic of Glenn is gone in two years if we draft a RT. we have 4 years on a rookie contract for the new person with an option for a 5 th. by that time Cordy is with us for 7 years. We also will need to pay Glenn LT money in two to three years as we could maintain him for the 5 th year option.

Polian was on Sportscenter last night talking draft and he said something interesting (to me): he said he hates taking offensive linemen in the early part of the first round, because that's where you ought to be targeting the elite skill position players - the guys who score touchdowns or prevent touchdowns. (Of course, then he went ahead and predicted that the Bills would land Jake Matthews at 9 and lauded it as a great pick, so who knows...)

I don't have a problem with Martin as a player, but I do question his value at #9 - seems like they could move down a bit and still get him. They proved adept at doing that last year. I find it hard to believe that the Bills wouldn't take the franchise signal caller they wanted in in the top 10 last year, because they knew they could get him later, yet they would take a guard/tackle hybrid at #9 this year... seems very unlikely.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I'm thinking the Bills could trade back a few spots, and land Martin who is my fav OT in this draft. Although I wonder if he will get past the NY Giants at #12.

In a day where you only dress seven O linemen it pays to be versatile enough to play any position. On ESPN Bill Polian stated this kid could be an all pro OG or C, and could start at either tackle spot. Reminds me of what they all said about Cordy Glenn.

I know I wouldn't be upset if he were the pick at #9 should all the other OT's, and blue chippers be gone. If teams wait until late in the first to draft a QB then realistically all the big names will be long gone. I'd rather see Martin at #9 then Ebron.

Glenn is safe at LT as long as healthy. If top 3 OT are gone by 9 , I hope not , then a trade down for Martin is next best. EJ and CJ need a new good starting RT and LG to survive. Losing Levitre, Rhinehart and coach Joe D' with Chan's play calling resulted in disaster last season.

Can you imagine if in the deepest draft in 30 years the Bills use a top 10 pick on the 4th OT off the board to play RT?!? I cannot fathom this. Maybe they like Martin but they are not taking him at 9.

You may be right that there is no way they take him at 9, but you're reasoning is not. It's not about being the 4th OT off the board, rather where does he rank overall? He could be the 4th ranked OT and rank in the top 10 overall. Not saying he is in the top 10, but that is the question, not that he's the 4th OT.

Please no...I don't need a 6'4", 300 LB guard at 9.

This is why I don't think the Bills will pick him. He doesn't have the size that Buffalo seems to prefer in their offensive linemen. Martin is a phenomenal technician, but he is not going to wow anyone with his strength or explosiveness. I think he will be really successful at the next level, just not in Buffalo.