A case to be made for Zack Martin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you are missing the OPs original point - the dude can play every position on the oline at a very high level (sans maybe LT bc of short arms - but that's also not always the case)....

Some of you are saying "you don't draft a guard at 9" - that's not necessarily the case here - would you use the number 9 pick to solidify your oline? That's the question....personally, yes I would

The company line (and rightfully so) has been "protect EJ and get him weapons" - that's the goal of this draft....I don't care what order it comes in or how it looks or is perceived by fans or the media, if those two goals are accomplished it will have been a fantastic weekend

I'm confident in OBD

Not to beat a dead horse here, but Andy Levitre was an excellent guard who could kick out to tackle when needed, will be playing in the league in 10 years, and was drafted in Round 2. They let him walk last offseason, despite the fact that they were bringing in a rookie QB whom they needed to "protect." Drafting a non-elite tackle/guard hybrid in the top 10 simply because he is "versatile" would be the definition of running in place.

I don't buy it. Whaley seems to want to come away with an elite player with his first pick, and I think it's the right approach.

Can you imagine if in the deepest draft in 30 years the Bills use a top 10 pick on the 4th OT off the board to play RT?!? I cannot fathom this. Maybe they like Martin but they are not taking him at 9.

Some how this falsehood has taken hold, probably because people (and I am not singling you out, this is widespread) haven't paid close attention to the claim that "this is the deepest draft in years FOR WIDE RECEIVERS." No one thinks it's a great one for QBs, nor is it particularly deep (in the "can't miss" category) for DL. Beyond the top two, maybe three guys, the TE position isn't particularly deep. There don't seem to be any RBs making teams drool. However, and fortunately for the Bills, it does seem to be deep across the OL, and at LB, at least enough to get very good players through the first two rounds.

BTW, Zack Martin is a member of the legendary Matthews clan.

I watch a lot of Golden Domer games. This guy is a stud. Warming up to the idea at #9 but definitely Martin in a trade down. You guys saying wait and get him in the 2nd don't know football.

Edited by r00tabaga

Some how this falsehood has taken hold, probably because people (and I am not singling you out, this is widespread) haven't paid close attention to the claim that "this is the deepest draft in years FOR WIDE RECEIVERS." No one thinks it's a great one for QBs, nor is it particularly deep (in the "can't miss" category) for DL. Beyond the top two, maybe three guys, the TE position isn't particularly deep. There don't seem to be any RBs making teams drool. However, and fortunately for the Bills, it does seem to be deep across the OL, and at LB, at least enough to get very good players through the first two rounds.

BTW, Zack Martin is a member of the legendary Matthews clan.

Don't shoot the messenger. I was just relaying the thoughts of a veteran executive/GM: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325406/article/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-says-this-is-deepest-draft-in-30-years

Fwiw, if the Bills pick Martin at 9 I will never post on this board again. Book it!

FWIW, Joe B's newest mock has Martin going to the Bills at #9, and Mayock says that Martin "will not" make it to the Giants at 12. Wonder what he knows? Maybe he knows the Bills have interest. Maybe he knows of teams interested in trading up past 12 to get him. It seems he is making an assertion here rather than just stating an opinion. Hmmmm.

I am sold on Martin at 9. They are comparing him to Logan Mankins. Line him next to Wood and open up 4 lane highways. And that versatility is huge. Martin's stock is skyrocketing. And there will be 7 tackles selected in the first round. Get one at 9

Kelly, theres 1 inconsistency in your argument. If Martin projects to be very good and very versatile, why would he be easy to re-sign in 4 years? If hes that great hes going to want just as big of a contract as the others.

IMO, he would only be able to get top RT money which is usually a couple three million less than top LT money. I don't think the Bills or any team are going to pay two guys over $10 m on the line. That is why I think that Glenn is gone after two years if we draft Matthews or Lewan. The Bills won't offer Glenn top dollar because they have LT in waiting. While Martin, because of his slight size limitation and slight arm limitation, would likely not be considered an elite LT prospect.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but Andy Levitre was an excellent guard who could kick out to tackle when needed, will be playing in the league in 10 years, and was drafted in Round 2. They let him walk last offseason, despite the fact that they were bringing in a rookie QB whom they needed to "protect." Drafting a non-elite tackle/guard hybrid in the top 10 simply because he is "versatile" would be the definition of running in place.

I don't buy it. Whaley seems to want to come away with an elite player with his first pick, and I think it's the right approach.

You only draft him is you think he is elite. You don't draft him because he is a hybrid or versatile. I said if he is better, as good, or no significant difference as the other guys, which is what a lot of people in the know seem to be saying, then thee is a case to be made for it. Of course you don't take him if you think he is a guard or if you think he is not elite.

Edited by Kelly the Dog