Bills actively trying to TRADE UP.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if we get Watkins or Evans, I think Stevie stays this year. Next year we would have to make a decision to keep Stevie or Williams- unlikely that we pay both at/around 8 million. This year Williams is cheap and would allow is to keep the stable, including SJ13.

If EJ can't take his game to the next level with the current group and one of the top two from this draft class, he isn't the future. Then we draft qb next year and drop him into a lineup ready to win.

I really think they do want to trade up. I dont think its pure smoke. There's nothing to be gained by announcing that you want to trade up, except playing the upper teams against each other to earn your business, which is good.

And I think they want MACK. That would be such a feel-good story for the fans.

And here is your smoke, to back up my feeling its MACK. From PFT today:

“I’ve heard from three league sources in the past week that the Bills are trying to trade up,” McShay writes. “If they do make a move, it’ll likely be to land Clowney, Robinson or Watkins.”

http://profootballta...nt-to-trade-up/

And I think they will move to #4 with cleveland. Cleveland wants a QB and can still get one at 9.

And I dont think that Whaley thinks that WR is a position of need. And I agree.

Edited by maddenboy

I really think they do want to trade up. I dont think its pure smoke. There's nothing to be gained by announcing that you want to trade up, except playing the upper teams against each other to earn your business, which is good.

And I think they want MACK. That would be such a feel-good story for the fans.

And here is your smoke, to back up my feeling its MACK. From PFT today:

“I’ve heard from three league sources in the past week that the Bills are trying to trade up,” McShay writes. “If they do make a move, it’ll likely be to land Clowney, Robinson or Watkins.”

http://profootballta...nt-to-trade-up/

And I think they will move to #4 with cleveland. Cleveland wants a QB and can still get one at 9.

And I dont think that Whaley thinks that WR is a position of need. And I agree.

I agree with everything. OBD has been very quiet about the dude.

Story wise, can you imagine? The Bills draft party is in alumni arena next Thursday. How fast do you think they could get him from RCMH to Amherst?

Remember it is liars month for personnel in the NFL. With that said, if Clowney is as good as advertised, we could shore up this defense for several years. You get two bookend elite pass rushers coming at Brady with interior pressure from the DT's, and you have more negotiating power against Mario next year to restructure his contract.

If we produce a top 3 defense in the league, then it could be worth a second rounder this year and the next. If Houston does not take Clowney, we could offer the Rams a second rounder this year and a third next year. Of course we'd swap spots in this year's first.

The only reason I like these deals is you can get a RB late in the draft, G can be picked up late in the draft, and as everyone knows there are a ton of WR and RT out there.

Anyway, if we don't get Clowney, just stay put and take a RT if Matthews is there. If not, then Ebron's a good addition. These are just my thoughts for the day. I'm sure all of us will change our minds multiple times by draft day.

As a side not, I hate this May draft idea. Just get it done. For them to think about a four day draft, they are nuts.

I mean, if we trade up for Clowney, Mack or Watkins and they turn out to be as good as advertised AND EJ elevates his game, then this will be a hell of a season / team. On the flip side, if EJ doesn't rise up, we would put our team in an even bigger hole long-term.

That is the scary part - giving up next year's #1 when it's impossible to know for sure yet they won't need to find another QB next draft.

I like EJ, but that's not the same as being certain he will be very good.

Moving up w/o losing next year's #1 I would have no issue with.

I say do it. We aren't that far away, we need an impact player like Clowney. Screw future picks now, its time we win NOW. This staff may be on limited time and they want their legacy to be they were the ones to break the playoff drought

You are the one that keeps championing that we suck and the rest of us need to admit it. Now you're saying we aren't that far away. I totally get what kind of fan you are now.

That is the scary part - giving up next year's #1 when it's impossible to know for sure yet they won't need to find another QB next draft.

I like EJ, but that's not the same as being certain he will be very good.

Moving up w/o losing next year's #1 I would have no issue with.

It is much more likely the discussion is whether we have to give up our second#41 or our third#73 to move up to say 4 or 5.

Can someone on this board tell me who in next year's draft is going to be better than Clowney, Watkins, Mack or any of the Oline prospects? I'm asking will there be anyone in next year's draft class that will make you say "Damn, we could've had him if only we hadn't traded our pick"? Swapping this years pick and giving up next year's #1 might not be all that bad.

It is much more likely the discussion is whether we have to give up our second#41 or our third#73 to move up to say 4 or 5.

How about swapping this years pick and giving our 1st next year? I'd like to keep our picks this year. This class is deep and rich with prospects.

Edited by the skycap

It is possible that Whaley, Brandon and Marrone actually do not think they will be drafting another QB in the 1st round next year regardless. I know most fans and media believe this is the make or break year for EJ, and please don't jump on me for suggesting this because I am not saying I would agree, but many times QBs do get more than 2 years before the team starts over. So if they feel that they are going to give him 3 years instead of 2 then they might not be as protective of next year's #1 as we think.

I think it was Ian Rappaport who was asked what was the biggest lie in the draft last year, and he said The Bills and their intention to draft Ryan Nassib when it was EJ all along. He said he heard it everywhere, and it often came from the team, and that he believed it himself.

So Much misinformation this time of year. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING. It's wide open. The Draft this year is gonna be crazy in the Top 10...

No way I see this, please I'm hoping beyond hope, this is a DEEP draft, let's sit back and let it come to us at 9. If we don't like what are choices are there, let's trade down, if we can't trade down, take Ebron or Mosley (one of those two will definitely be there).

Can someone on this board tell me who in next year's draft is going to be better than Clowney, Watkins, Mack or any of the Oline prospects? I'm asking will there be anyone in next year's draft class that will make you say "Damn, we could've had him if only we hadn't traded our pick"? Swapping this years pick and giving up next year's #1 might not be all that bad.

How about swapping this years pick and giving our 1st next year? I'd like to keep our picks this year. This class is deep and rich with prospects.

Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State

I would be shocked if the Bills traded up.

I really think this is all a smokescreen

CBF

i hope so, but I can't figure out the motive if it is a smokescreen. If the other teams are putting it out there then maybe they are trying to drum up interest, but I can't see a motive it it's the Bills.

The former GM also knew he needed more than one good player

This GM should know he needs more than one good player too!

I know it aggravates most when new topics that are similar get started but I personally would rather have the topic start over than weed through 17 pages.

+1