Jake Matthews will be the pick.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes why would you take a guy who will play close to 20 years, be all pro and solve your tackle problems. You would have two stud bookend tackles for the next 10-12 years

maybe we look at successful teams Seahawks Carpenter and Okung both 1st round tackles, 49ers Anthony Davis and Joe Stahley yep first rounders again. I'm not gonna walk through the league New England Solder first Vollmer 2nd....Ryan Clady first rounder.

Russell wilson hit only 19 passes and lynch got 39 yards in the superbowl. It wasnt their O line that won the game for them it was the D front 7.

I still hope we go O-line heavy in this draft though. I would only move up for Watkins or Clowney. If Manziel falls to us it might give us a trade down opp like last year that got us Kiko for nothing.

Russell wilson hit only 19 passes and lynch got 39 yards in the superbowl. It wasnt their O line that won the game for them it was the D front 7.

I still hope we go O-line heavy in this draft though. I would only move up for Watkins or Clowney. If Manziel falls to us it might give us a trade down opp like last year that got us Kiko for nothing.

Quiet Webster. Many on here think Lynch ran for roughly 150 yards ( 100 YAC ) and scored 3 TDS. Edited by curitiba

And if Cordy DOESN'T get moved he will seek LT money on the open market (and get it). This is how it works.

And it would be nice to have another quality OT on the roster as opposed to being forced to draft at a certain position (ala EJ Manuel).

I'm not sure I am understanding your point. If I am reading it correctly we will be opening up a hole on the OL in 2 years? I am in favor of RT in the 2nd (Bitonio, James, Moses) and extending Cordy next year when he is eligible to be extended.

A lot of trading up and down talk. All such decisions are made on a final basis during the draft....the tactical component can't be game planned with any certainty....that is we don't know who will go in the first 8. But, if someone makes it to 9 that the bills don't want, and somebody else does,.....(like the Rams wanting Tavon Austin last year), then you get to move down if they make an acceptable offer. I loved the trade down last year...helped the bills for sure. But, I can't expect that from Whaley every year, because circumstances cannot be forecast with any degree of certainty. Whaley and the Bills will have to think quickly, though, if they are approached at 9, because it all happens then. That is what the preparation is for...to be ready to make that relatively quick decision on draft day.

A lot of trading up and down talk. All such decisions are made on a final basis during the draft....the tactical component can't be game planned with any certainty....that is we don't know who will go in the first 8. But, if someone makes it to 9 that the bills don't want, and somebody else does,.....(like the Rams wanting Tavon Austin last year), then you get to move down if they make an acceptable offer. I loved the trade down last year...helped the bills for sure. But, I can't expect that from Whaley every year, because circumstances cannot be forecast with any degree of certainty. Whaley and the Bills will have to think quickly, though, if they are approached at 9, because it all happens then. That is what the preparation is for...to be ready to make that relatively quick decision on draft day.

I agree 100% when it comes to trading down. When it comes to trading up you have to speculate a little as to where you think your trade up target will go and get in front of that team. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Agreed. Put another way, if the BPA when you're on the clock happens not to be a need (i.e., Aaron Donald), you look to move down and pick up more picks in the process.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Agreed. But if the Bills trade up for a RT, as one of hte biggest Bills fans alive, I might be done. Of course, I won't but it's mind blowingly stupid. In general, I'm against trading up unless it's a QB. IMO, the draft can be a crapshoot but you have more of a chance for hits the more opportunities you have.

I'm not sure I am understanding your point. If I am reading it correctly we will be opening up a hole on the OL in 2 years? I am in favor of RT in the 2nd (Bitonio, James, Moses) and extending Cordy next year when he is eligible to be extended.

I think hes using the fill the hole with a great backup plan just in case, since cordy will be getting PAID and that might not be by us, and if we do keep cordy, matthews can still play RT argument.

Agreed. But if the Bills trade up for a RT, as one of hte biggest Bills fans alive, I might be done. Of course, I won't but it's mind blowingly stupid. In general, I'm against trading up unless it's a QB. IMO, the draft can be a crapshoot but you have more of a chance for hits the more opportunities you have.

especially since at 4 years 20m fully guaranteed (using lane johnsons contract at 4 last year as a rough reference) we could sign a pretty well established RT.

To give that deal, plus a top ten pick, plus picks to move up just doesnt add up.

especially since at 4 years 20m fully guaranteed (using lane johnsons contract at 4 last year as a rough reference) we could sign a pretty well established RT.

To give that deal, plus a top ten pick, plus picks to move up just doesnt add up.

I think that is an interesting point. Look at the contract that Zach Strief signed this offseason. He graded out as the top RT last year according to PFF. He just signed for 5 years & $20M. That is exactly why some of us argue that it is easier to get a RT than some other positions. What would you have to pay to get the top WR or pass rusher?

Only player I see us moving up for is Watkins, IMO. Guy is a game changer, great hands, and good luck defending him, Stevie, Williams, Woods, Goodwin and CJ. Your D will be gassed by the 4th Quarter. Draft OT in second. And Colt Lyerta at some point.

I'd love him at #9, but agree trading up for a RT would be weird.

There continue to be rumors about the Bills trading up. If they did I would assume it's for Clowney (who would probably cost too much to move up for) or Watkins.

I could see Mack, but not Clowney as another trade-up potential. Hopefully, as another poster said, Houston starts the QB run and we have a bevy of talent to choose from. interesting dilema: what if NT Donald, OT Mathews, and ILB Mack are available when we pick. Crazy things happen at the draft!!

I hope there is no run on QBs and then teams will be more willing to mortgage picks for our #9. I can see 8 position players off the board before us. I really can't envision Manziel or Bridgewater in top 10 & even Bortles has a lot of ??? in his game. Mathews at #9 I'm ok with (rather have Ebron) but no way trading UP for him or even G. Robinson.

When Glenn becomes a UFA, chances are he will test the free agent waters whether or not we leave him at LT. These guys get huge contracts and it would be silly to think that Glenn would stay because we didn't change his position. This is what I meant when I responded to your post.

I also will add that right now, Glenn would seem to be the only player on the Bills roster who is capable of playing LT. Pears isn't, and I do not count on Hairston at all since his injury. Do you?

My point is that the Bills need a RT, AND a player who is capable of playing LT in case of injury, or down the road. If one of the top OTs in the draft fills these crucial needs, it would make huge sense to grab him if he's there.

I think that is an interesting point. Look at the contract that Zach Strief signed this offseason. He graded out as the top RT last year according to PFF. He just signed for 5 years & $20M. That is exactly why some of us argue that it is easier to get a RT than some other positions. What would you have to pay to get the top WR or pass rusher?

He is also 31 years old. If he was playing out his first contract it would have been a lot higher.

When Glenn becomes a UFA, chances are he will test the free agent waters whether or not we leave him at LT. These guys get huge contracts and it would be silly to think that Glenn would stay because we didn't change his position. This is what I meant when I responded to your post.

I also will add that right now, Glenn would seem to be the only player on the Bills roster who is capable of playing LT. Pears isn't, and I do not count on Hairston at all since his injury. Do you?

My point is that the Bills need a RT, AND a player who is capable of playing LT in case of injury, or down the road. If one of the top OTs in the draft fills these crucial needs, it would make huge sense to grab him if he's there.

Got it. I feel that Glenn will get his extension next year. I do not think that there is another LT candidate outside of Hairston. He is a total mystery to me. In my mind though, Moses or Bitonio could fill that role. If there tackles were Glenn, Moses and Hairston I would be happy.

The talk of drafting a right tackle that early in the draft being crazy has me thinking. My initial thought is that it is the move we need to make, and any further thoughts have reinforced that.

With the game constantly changing, teams are bringing premier pass rushers from both sides of the line. Considering the evolving pass rush, and a young and developing QB, I think that drafting a top OT to place on the right side of our line is the wisest choice to maximize offensive production.

The talk of drafting a right tackle that early in the draft being crazy has me thinking. My initial thought is that it is the move we need to make, and any further thoughts have reinforced that.

With the game constantly changing, teams are bringing premier pass rushers from both sides of the line. Considering the evolving pass rush, and a young and developing QB, I think that drafting a top OT to place on the right side of our line is the wisest choice to maximize offensive production.

RT going that high in the draft isn't that crazy especially when he could be a possible LT replacement. I'm against it because history has shown that you can find good RTs later in the draft. The Seaawks just won a SB with a former 5th round pick from the Packers at RT. RT is becoming more important, still I think other positions are more crucial.

Or, conversely, Denver's o-line lost them the game.