Jake Matthews will be the pick.

With the draft right around the corner I 'm going to take my final stab at who the Bills are going to take. After watching Whaley's interview I see that he's willing to trade up for a solid 10 year player. Jake Matthews is that player and he also fills a big time need for the Bills. I don't know how they will accomplish it, trading up or whatever but I do believe Whaley will do whatever he has to to get this done. In the event that this doesn't happen and the Bills stay at the #9 pick then I do still believe that the pick will be an OT, regardless if it's Matthews or not. I'd like to also mention that the Rams concern me with the Matthews' pick, due to OT being a big time need for them as well but also Jeff Fisher's association to Matthews' relatives.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drafting a right tackle in the top ten is a dumb strategy in my mind. Trading up for a right tackle is even dumber. But hey I am just a guy behind a computer screen.

You're not alone. Trading up for a right tackle would be the dumbest thing the Bills have done since drafting a 235 LB Defensive End with their first round pick.

Out of every draft, 5 years later, you look back and think there were only about 7-10 players worth a shtt.

Whatever capital you have to burn to get one of them, you burn.

I trust whaley. If he's sold on a guy, then get him and dont look back. Dont gamble in the top 10

Drafting a right tackle in the top ten is a dumb strategy in my mind. Trading up for a right tackle is even dumber. But hey I am just a guy behind a computer screen.

yes why would you take a guy who will play close to 20 years, be all pro and solve your tackle problems. You would have two stud bookend tackles for the next 10-12 years

maybe we look at successful teams Seahawks Carpenter and Okung both 1st round tackles, 49ers Anthony Davis and Joe Stahley yep first rounders again. I'm not gonna walk through the league New England Solder first Vollmer 2nd....Ryan Clady first rounder.

Edited by CardinalScotts

Has any team ever traded up into the top 5 for a right tackle? Ever??

That's a great question. Question is, was a RT worth as much 10, 15, 20 yrs ago as it is today?

If Matthews is the pick, hopefully the pressure to slide him over to the left doesn't create a problem with Cordy. I'd like to see him extended ASAP regardless what side of the line he might play. Guards are getting crazy money nowadays, no reason a team can't reward a RT if need be (this is assuming Matthews was the pick, and Cordy got moved. Lots of assumptions here).

yes why would you take a guy who will play close to 20 years, be all pro and solve your tackle problems. You would have two stud bookend tackles for the next 10-12 years

You won't have stud tackles for 10-12 years. You are only go to pay 1 as a LT so you either extend Glenn at good LT money or he walks in 2 years.

I think that Mathews will be solid to good but I don't see him as an all pro. His ceiling is limited to me. I don't know how he is going to get much better. He was basically bred to play the OL amd has learned everything there is to learn. That is why he is so safe. He is a starting OL now in the NFL but he does not have the upside of someone like Robinson.

That's a great question. Question is, was a RT worth as much 10, 15, 20 yrs ago as it is today?

If Matthews is the pick, hopefully the pressure to slide him over to the left doesn't create a problem with Cordy. I'd like to see him extended ASAP regardless what side of the line he might play. Guards are getting crazy money nowadays, no reason a team can't reward a RT if need be (this is assuming Matthews was the pick, and Cordy got moved. Lots of assumptions here).

If Cordy gets moved he will seek LT money on the open market (and get it).

maybe we look at successful teams Seahawks Carpenter and Okung both 1st round tackles, 49ers Anthony Davis and Joe Stahley yep first rounders again. I'm not gonna walk through the league New England Solder first Vollmer 2nd....Ryan Clady first rounder.

My personal philosophy is to take elite playmakers or pass rushers in the top ten over linemen.

In today's NFL, i would rather build my team with elite skill players and average linemen rather than having elite linemen and average playmakers.

With the draft right around the corner I 'm going to take my final stab at who the Bills are going to take. After watching Whaley's interview I see that he's willing to trade up for a solid 10 year player. Jake Matthews is that player and he also fills a big time need for the Bills. I don't know how they will accomplish it, trading up or whatever but I do believe Whaley will do whatever he has to to get this done. In the event that this doesn't happen and the Bills stay at the #9 pick then I do still believe that the pick will be an OT, regardless if it's Matthews or not. I'd like to also mention that the Rams concern me with the Matthews' pick, due to OT being a big time need for them as well but also Jeff Fisher's association to Matthews' relatives.

If Matthews is there at nine you take him. He is top notch and i don't expect him to be available. But he is on the big board no doubt about it

RT or LT are interchangeable in today's game. I encourage anyone who thinks otherwise to go back and listen to what Whaley has to say about the OT position.

Maybe so but the discrepancy in pay is still large. It has been covered in a bunch of other threads. Glenn is going to be looking at top LT money in 2 years. You won't have 2 tackles paid like that (especially if you have a QB that you need to pay). You are going to be looking at one or the other pretty soon.

You won't have stud tackles for 10-12 years. You are only go to pay 1 as a LT so you either extend Glenn at good LT money or he walks in 2 years.

I think that Mathews will be solid to good but I don't see him as an all pro. His ceiling is limited to me. I don't know how he is going to get much better. He was basically bred to play the OL amd has learned everything there is to learn. That is why he is so safe. He is a starting OL now in the NFL but he does not have the upside of someone like Robinson.

If Cordy gets moved he will seek LT money on the open market (and get it).

Maybe, probably. But by extending him now for a more reasonable deal its a win-win.

Can't extend him until next season.

Thats fine too. If Matthews wants to find greener pastures after 4 years so be it. By then the wage scale will have balanced a bit more.

but if we could get bookends while EJ is yound and we still have Fred and CJ , its a no brainer !!

The fact of the matter is, nobody knows who the pick will be. Doug Whaley doesn't even know. They have a board with the players ranked in order and it will depend on who in that list is still available. They said they think 5 of the guys in this draft are "elite" so if one of those guys is still available they might trade up for the right price but the price will probably be more than they are willing to spend. Our best hope is that the Texans take a QB at 1 (doubt it but it could happen) and then all of the other teams in the top 10 go nuts taking QB's and then the real talent falls to us