A better back up.

bowery4

No - we need a Wiley veteran. I assume in Dallas they release Ortin. I like a vet who knows his role and is happy to help EJ. Also, you want a guy who can come in off the bench and win a few games.

If I wasn't worried about psych issues, Freeman would have been that guy, but the Giants picked him up.

what makes you think Ortin gets released? Im not sold on Romo makin it thru many games

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wants to start and Buffalo's Brass will not bring in anyone to actually compete with EJ and make him earn/win the job

what QB honestly does not want to start. Does any team want a backup whose goal is to be a career backup. It's only an issue if he demands to be in competition with EJ in camp. Just tell him that he's not in competition, but clearly, if EJ struggles, the coaching staff is not going to ride along all year with him regardless of who the backup is. I'd rather have Pryor (a veteran) than a rookie coming in if EJ struggles (or gets injured).

I think Thad did enough last year to retain the backup job. He may not have the pedigree, but I think he has the skills and moxie. The O-line was a sieve much of the time Thad played. He got drilled more times per game than any Bills QB in recent memory. He played pretty decent despite having no camp, being on the scout team until well into the season, and being thrown into the fire.

Thad with a full offseason and a full camp getting the #2 reps will be much improved IMO. Plus now he has a half-season of NFL starting experience under his belt. There's no way Prior is an upgrade.

I support drafting a QB this year in round 3-6, but I see that as a #3 option for this year.

So we want castoff QBs from the Raiders??? And they are currently in the market for a franchise QB…..

Doesn't anyone else see a problem here?

THERE IS NO WAY THE BILLS PICK UP TERRELL PRYOR.

This.

No team should ever, repeat, ever sign a QB who is discarded from the raiders. They are where all nfl QB careers go to die.

I think Thad did enough last year to retain the backup job. He may not have the pedigree, but I think he has the skills and moxie. The O-line was a sieve much of the time Thad played. He got drilled more times per game than any Bills QB in recent memory. He played pretty decent despite having no camp, being on the scout team until well into the season, and being thrown into the fire.

Thad with a full offseason and a full camp getting the #2 reps will be much improved IMO. Plus now he has a half-season of NFL starting experience under his belt. There's no way Prior is an upgrade.

I support drafting a QB this year in round 3-6, but I see that as a #3 option for this year.

Man, just glad there is someone out there besides me that sees this stuff. No real upgrades to that line again this year means SSDY...

I don't think EJ was ready to start last year, and this team just didn't care to go with a vet QB. They must feel the same way again this year or they would have signed a vet QB by now.

The current staff is so afraid that if they put Tuel on the practice squad that some other team will snatch him away, like he is gold or something. Gotta be the reason they kept him active all last year.

I suppose they see something in the kid I don't see, or something that 31 other teams don't see because he wasn't drafted. He looks to be a big time project at even an NFL backup job to me.

The Bills have a decent opportunity to obtain a viable winning college QB this year with a #2 or #3 draft pick, and way better then Tuel IMO.

I may be in the minority, but I really like Thad as the backup. Kid has decent skills and a great work ethic. I'd like to see what he's capable of with an actual training camp in this system under his belt.

I don't think he's true starter material, but I think he's actually a really good option for a backup.

I like Thad as backup as well. And about competition, Pryor is a QB not named Manuel I get it.....but it would be a fake competition and 90%sure EJ would win it outright. There IS a reason the Raiders released Pryor, they didn't want him even with Schaub being the starter and that says something. Yes he asked for a trade/release, Raiders did not have to grant it quite yet.

BTW, I love McGloin as a QB always thought he had something in him.

Thad did a fine job while not having much of a pocket and wasn't Goodwin forced into the #2 role for those games? Love Flash but a 5 8 burner doesn't play outside.

Terrelle Pryor

http://www.rotoworld.../terrelle-pryor

With EJ's injuries last year I wish we would pick Terrelle up, kind of the same player as Thad but better. Expected to be released Monday.

I don't want any competition for Manuel. Thad and Tuel are too much as it is, they should be cut before the inflict psychological damage on junior. Fred Jackson can be the backup.

Man, just glad there is someone out there besides me that sees this stuff. No real upgrades to that line again this year means SSDY...

I don't think EJ was ready to start last year, and this team just didn't care to go with a vet QB. They must feel the same way again this year or they would have signed a vet QB by now.

The current staff is so afraid that if they put Tuel on the practice squad that some other team will snatch him away, like he is gold or something. Gotta be the reason they kept him active all last year.

I suppose they see something in the kid I don't see, or something that 31 other teams don't see because he wasn't drafted. He looks to be a big time project at even an NFL backup job to me.

The Bills have a decent opportunity to obtain a viable winning college QB this year with a #2 or #3 draft pick, and way better then Tuel IMO.

I think you missed when they signed Kolb and he subsequently got hurt. At that point the best available options were Matt leinart, Thad or John beck. Bills made the right call

I'm still kind of on the fence with Thad but am leaning more to the side that he has earned the opportunity to be the #2 again this season. Awhile back I did want them to bring in a vet that can help EJ in the film room but the more I thought about it, the more it occurred to me that Thad is a really smart guy and has been around for awhile so he may already be very helpful to EJ in that respect.

Honestly, I wasn't too discouraged with Thad last year... He doesn't have the best pocket presence or the strongest arrm, but he shows more heart than any QB on the bills I've seen in the last decade. There were a few plays last year where he got drilled and still made the throw, and got up screaming and jumping around like a special teams player making a big hit on the first kickoff of a home game. I love seeing that passion on the field, wish I could see that more from EJ.

I did agree with this bold part when he was first called into action but the more he played, the less and less he stood in the pocket, took the hit and still made an accurate throw…accurate being the key word. He wasn’t stepping into his throws as much because he was already trying to avoid the hit (what I call the chuck and duck) and his throws sailed as a result. I do think that is more of an indication of the blocking but once that habit starts, it can be hard to break. I’ve seen too many of our QBs (Bledsoe, Edwards) start looking at the pass rush rather than down the field and once that started, it was the beginning of the end of their time in Buffalo.

I am not sure I would write off anybody just because they didn't get it done in Oakland.

I agree.

I am not sure I would write off anybody just because they didn't get it done in Oakland.

I agree, except in this case I don't think it is just because he came from that team. They don't think enough of him to even give him the chance to compete for a backup spot there with Matt McGloin and Matt Schaub. He isn't a good enough passer to succeed as an NFL QB, IMO. There's not enough there for a backup role, even. A 3rd/emergency QB? Sure.... but I would be shocked if they find a team to give up a draft pick for him. He is a gifted athlete, but he was almost converted to a TE his sophomore year of college for a reason.

Bringing in competition for the backup QB position shouldn't be a big deal. I'd explore options. I look at what Seattle did a few seasons ago when they signed Flynn, had Jackson, and drafted Wilson. Competition for positions should be a good thing.

If he is willing to hold a clipboard . he wont be a starter any where

I am a Thad fan anyways. But of course if the Whaley Boys see something maybe some competition for Lewis ? And Tuel finally makes it to the practice squad !

Edited by 3rdand12

I may be in the minority, but I really like Thad as the backup. Kid has decent skills and a great work ethic. I'd like to see what he's capable of with an actual training camp in this system under his belt.

I don't think he's true starter material, but I think he's actually a really good option for a backup.

Agree, if his ball control was better with an improved offensive line then he should b solid as a backup. Plus the long ball to Goodwin is fun to watch!