A better back up.

bowery4

First. I want to say, I really didn't expect the amount of opposition from the fans on the board, I like Thad too. I think Thad reminded me last year of the good things that Fitz did when he was in Bflo. I think he won and that is what you want your back up to do. He did have problems with fumbles though.

I like TP too watched a couple of games last year, he can do okay, is fun to watch, if people look at his stats in that link, not terrible.The Raiders sucked but that wasn't all on him and he has a cheap contract, they are stupid to release him.

Bringing in competition for the backup QB position shouldn't be a big deal. I'd explore options. I look at what Seattle did a few seasons ago when they signed Flynn, had Jackson, and drafted Wilson. Competition for positions should be a good thing.

agree sort of, I want to see EJ start and stay healthy first, but for back up? totally agree.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First. I want to say, I really didn't expect the amount of opposition from the fans on the board, I like Thad too. I think Thad reminded me last year of the good things that Fitz did when he was in Bflo. I think he won and that is what you want your back up to do. He did have problems with fumbles though.

I like TP too watched a couple of games last year, he can do okay, is fun to watch, if people look at his stats in that link, not terrible.The Raiders sucked but that wasn't all on him and he has a cheap contract, they are stupid to release him.

agree sort of, I want to see EJ start and stay healthy first, but for back up? totally agree.

These are all good points. He does hold the NFL record for the longest TD run for a QB (or something) and he beat Pitt and SD. Actually SD had a really tough time with him, it was their worst game of the year. It was the game they played at like 3am EST in Oakland and no one saw it. I would take him over Tuel. But still think Thad is a better #2.

Bringing in competition for the backup QB position shouldn't be a big deal. I'd explore options. I look at what Seattle did a few seasons ago when they signed Flynn, had Jackson, and drafted Wilson. Competition for positions should be a good thing.

You have to look at both sides of it. What player that has a chance to start is going to go to a place where the management is giving the young guy a huge boost?

You have to look at both sides of it. What player that has a chance to start is going to go to a place where the management is giving the young guy a huge boost?

A hypothetical answer: a QB that isn't worried about a little competition, has self-confidence, and feels he can relate with the OC and staff?

A hypothetical answer: a QB that isn't worried about a little competition, has self-confidence, and feels he can relate with the OC and staff?

I guess. My point was everyone seems to think you can just sign the best QB in FA

Vick was proabley that guy this year and he went to where he'd have a decent chance to start over a guy that was far more down than our guy ever was

I guess. My point was everyone seems to think you can just sign the best QB in FA

Vick was proabley that guy this year and he went to where he'd have a decent chance to start over a guy that was far more down than our guy ever was

Yeah, Buffalo may not be the right fit for a menu of reasons. No argument in that regard. I guess all I was pointing out is that there could be, hypothetically, a QB that doesn't view EJ's status as one of the top line items on said menu.

Missing on a legitimate back up QB once Kolb went down was a big miss last year. We seem better positioned at this point but could use an upgrade.

I don't feel like reading through this entire thread but I can't be the only one who thing Lewis is actually an above average backup can I?

What FA QBs were out there this year to bring in I don't think anyone better than Thad.

Do you honestly think Thad Lewis is a better NFL QB than Michael Vick and/or Josh Freeman? I would take either one of them over Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel ANY day, and all day on Sunday. Matt Schaub was available for cheap too, and I would rather have him than Thad Lewis.

As for Terrell Pryor, he would be the best competition/backup to EJ Manuel...that way there is no reason to have to change the playbook and/or the way they call the plays when Manuel or Pryor are in the game. They have the same skillset...whereas if you waste a 4th round draft pick on Aaron Murray, how similar are he and EJ? How much would they have to change things when Murray went in for Manuel? I think it's fair to say quite a bit, and/or more than they want to.

(And I say "waste" because I believe they can find a starting-quality player in the 4th round...at least a situational player who sees the field for a good percentage of the time, rather than a rookie QB who will be sitting on the bench...even if there is an injury to the starting QB.)

BlizjQ-CMAAPVfO.jpg

Caption this...

"She had dumps like a truck, truck, truck...thighs like what, what, what...Baby move your butt, butt, butt!"

Wait a minute...that's not Sisqo?

Edited by Bob Malooga

I may be in the minority, but I really like Thad as the backup. Kid has decent skills and a great work ethic. I'd like to see what he's capable of with an actual training camp in this system under his belt.

I don't think he's true starter material, but I think he's actually a really good option for a backup.

I like him too and I think this coaching staff is set with the 3 QBs they have now. I think we're seeing a rationalization of the problem a year too late, the young QBs we have now got the experience needed to be good back-ups last year, one won two games in it and the other almost beat an undefeated team.

He has been traded to the Seahawks.

But TJax!!!!

BTW, Russell Wilson now the 3rd highest paid QB on his own team.

Bruce Feldman@BruceFeldmanCFB 5m

With Seattle acquiring Terrelle Pryor, Pete Carroll's now traded for 2 former #1 overall recruits (Harvin the other) #RonaldPowellDraftWatch

Which will be great if Pete plays him at WR too.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 1m

Seahawks surrendered a 7th-round pick for QB Terrelle Pryor, per league source.