Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

Its fine we aren't going to agree on everything. Of the 2 players listed (without looking) which do you prefer? I am a little indifferent. I think that either one would help your team in the same manner. I think Spiller is the better runner but not necessarily the better back.

Agreed for the most part. I think Spiller can be a much bigger weapon in the passing game but besides Gailey, hasn't played with creative offensive coaches. So Bush gets the edge as a receiver. But I'm taking CJ all day over Reggie. I think there is a close to 2,000 total yard season in CJ's future.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not objective as an OSU fan but I think that he is a rich man's Eddie Lacy. He will most likely be the first RB drafted in the late 1st or early 2nd. He is a complete back though and will be good at the next level.

of he's projected to be the first RB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round then I say no. Unless you get some kind of killing for CJ and get a first and 2nd and can draft other positions as well. If he was in the 3rd round then I don't see why anyone would want to pass him up. Even the late 2nd round. Maybe if he falls until the late 2nd we is a 3rd and 5th to move up to take him. But your saying he'll be gone before then, then I'm assuming he'll be gone.

I'd rather take Williams from Boston in the 4th if that's the case.

Reggie Bush has played with Drew Brees & Calvin Johnson. Spiller has played with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Bush was never the #1 option for defenses to stop. You're good poster & I enjoy the debate. But you're severely underestimating the defenses Spiller & Bush face. The #1 thing teams playing the Bills want to take away is the running game. You dare them to beat you with the pass. That's 8 & 9 man fronts. You will get destroy if you do that with Brees & Johnson. Major, major advantage for a running back. And Spiller still has a 5.1 career average.

Spiller is a better pure rb than Bush & I don't think it's really close.

2 of the 3 years he referenced bush was in Miami with Matt Moore and Ryan tannehill as his qb. And a receiving corps heavy on snaps from Brian hartline and Devone bess

Edited by NoSaint

@AdamSchefter: Four teams that discussed a potential trade for RB Chris Johnson, but ultimately declined to do so, were the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Falcons.

man we are stupid, how long are going to keep chasing RBs when we have a them and they can be had anywhere. If we brought in as many QBs like we do RBs then we might have one. Are they afraid they will break EJs confidence if he has competitions?

man we are stupid, how long are going to keep chasing RBs when we have a them and they can be had anywhere. If we brought in as many QBs like we do RBs then we might have one. Are they afraid they will break EJs confidence if he has competitions?

Yes, RBs can be had anywhere.

RBs like Peterson, Johsnon, Spiller, etc. can't be had just anywhere. You find them in the 1st round and usually higher in the first round. Usually.

GO BILLS!!!

I like the aggressiveness

Me too. I don't understand why people would be opposed to adding talent. For years we went after no one really, this year, going after everyone. At any rate, if we don't get him, this will jack up the price on the Jets getting him. Win, win.

RBs like Peterson, Johsnon, Spiller, etc. can't be had just anywhere. You find them in the 1st round and usually higher in the first round. Usually.

GO BILLS!!!

exactly. serviceable RB anywhere, dynamic game changes, not anywhere.

of he's projected to be the first RB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round then I say no. Unless you get some kind of killing for CJ and get a first and 2nd and can draft other positions as well. If he was in the 3rd round then I don't see why anyone would want to pass him up. Even the late 2nd round. Maybe if he falls until the late 2nd we is a 3rd and 5th to move up to take him. But your saying he'll be gone before then, then I'm assuming he'll be gone.

I'd rather take Williams from Boston in the 4th if that's the case.

Would love Williams from BC.

GO BILLS!!!

While I agree in principle, McCoy, Forte, Foster, Charles, Lacy, Rice, Bell (x2), Freddie, Tate, Morris, Stacy, Gore, Pierre Thomas, Bernard, Sproles and Murray are non first rounders.

Peterson, Lynch, Spiller, Stewart, McGahee, Moreno, McFadden, Felix Jones, Dangelo Williams, Bush, CJ2K, and Beanie Wells are the active 1st rounders that I could think of.

Which group is better?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

While I agree in principle, McCoy, Forte, Foster, Charles, Lacy, Rice, Bell (x2), Freddie, Tate, Morris, Stacy, Gore, Pierre Thomas, Bernard, Sproles and Murray are non first rounders.

Peterson, Lynch, Spiller, Stewart, McGahee, Moreno, McFadden, Felix Jones, Dangelo Williams, Bush, CJ2K, and Beanie Wells are the active 1st rounders that I could think of.

Which group is better?

I think the groups are about equal. Peterson gives the second group an edge. But that does nothing to change the fact that the generational. game changing backs in the history of the league have all been taken higher in the first round than not. That doesn't mean that lower round picks don't become great players or that 1st round RBs don't bust. It's just that greatness is by and large found at the top.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the groups are about equal. Peterson gives the second group an edge. But that does nothing to change the fact that the generational. game changing backs in the history of the league have all been taken higher in the first round than not. That doesn't mean that lower round picks don't become great players or that 1st round RBs don't bust. It's just that greatness is by and large found at the top.

GO BILLS!!!

I generally agree. I think that Peteraon, Lynch, Bush and Spiller are about equal with Charles, McCoy, Forte and Murray. The depth of the non 1st rounders is better than the 1st rounders IMO but there are also more to pick from.

I guess the point is if you were to stack 1st round pass rushers, QBs or WR against non 1st round pass rushers, QBs or WR you would see a larger discrepancy (at least intuitively I think that).

FWIW: PFT has a story quoting a source from one of the 4 teams that the Titans had trade "discussions" with. The source indicated that the "discussion" consisted of Tennessee calling that team and asking if they'd be interested in Johnson, the team saying maybe, and the team calling back and saying they weren't interested.

So as I said earlier, this appears to be a lot of noise about very little substance.

Edited by thebandit27

Me too. I don't understand why people would be opposed to adding talent. For years we went after no one really, this year, going after everyone. At any rate, if we don't get him, this will jack up the price on the Jets getting him. Win, win.

exactly. serviceable RB anywhere, dynamic game changes, not anywhere.

Would love Williams from BC.

I don't understand it either. Not too long ago this team had no talent on the roster. This staff is trying to supply the team with as much talent as possible and posters are pissing on their effort. I'm lost!

Love the idea of adding him to the roster and making Spiller and Jackson compete for carries. Johnson is every bit as explosive as Spiller and a much better runner. Spiller is a one trick pony. Give him a lane and he can gash you for sixty yards. Other than that he has no vision, doesn't shed tacklers, and can't pass protect at all. He is not worth the money he will want next year.

I don't think Marrone likes the way Spiller runs. Yes, he is electrifying when he gets it right, but too often he created negative plays this year and you can't have that when you're trying to develop a rookie QB. Getting behind the chains early is the kiss of death. To me this is further proof that they want to go a different direction at RB sooner rather than later. We'll know for sure if they reach out and try to sign him. You'd figure they are willing to offer some good money seeing as they were willing to trade for him at his current salary, right? It also seems like they've been sniffing around a lot of RBs with interviews and pre-draft visits. Off the top of my head they've spoken with Andre Williams, Lache Seastrunk, and Hill from LSU.

Very interested to see how it plays out. I can't imagine they keep Spiller if they sign Johnson. Who would trade for CJ though knowing you'll probably just cut him? IMO Spiller could be devastating in Denver with all that room to run.

well if he doesn't like spiller's style why would he be interested in chris johnson? they are similar backs with similar running styles and similar size. neither are the big bruising back to feed a power running game like williams and hill are.

this isn't adding up for me, don't like it, comes off as the bills trying to be "too cute" again (ala the bills drafting RB's high the last decade when they already had solid performers doing the job at the expense of more valuable/needed positions). to bring in johnson, dump cj for probably next to nothing (or nothing), to have the guy have to learn the playbook and build chemistry with EJ and the OL, why?? cj is signed for next season and, if he performs like '12, is a bargain on the franchise tag for '15. that is two years to find a replacement, loads and loads of time, and the meantime you hopefully get some good production out of him.

they don't need johnson. spiller, jackson, and a back like williams or hill is a great combination and with an upgraded OL and the right playcalling could be a top 5 ground unit that can run when they want to run.

Edited by d_wag

I am not objective as an OSU fan but I think that he is a rich man's Eddie Lacy. He will most likely be the first RB drafted in the late 1st or early 2nd. He is a complete back though and will be good at the next level.

Ride Hyde! Ole boy is the goods for sure. I don't think the Bills look RB that high in the draft though. Hyde will go in late 1st early 2nd I believe. I think Bills look RB in 4th.

Love the idea of adding him to the roster and making Spiller and Jackson compete for carries. Johnson is every bit as explosive as Spiller and a much better runner. Spiller is a one trick pony. Give him a lane and he can gash you for sixty yards. Other than that he has no vision, doesn't shed tacklers, and can't pass protect at all. He is not worth the money he will want next year.

I couldn't agree with you more..and I'm a CJ fan. In all honest I think he would be fairly easy to replace. Especially with his recent injury history. I hate to sound like the what have you done for me lately fan but with this deep draft class I think Whaley is going to draft a RB in the first three rounds.

Can we please put this bizarre misconception (Spiller can't shed tackles) to rest? When he's healthy, he's one of the most elusive in the game. It seems straightforward that a high ankle sprain is going to make it much tougher to switch direction (hence his meh-but-not-terrible 2013).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/16/signature-stats-elusive-rating/

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/06/cj-spiller-ridiculous/

Can we please put this bizarre misconception (Spiller can't shed tackles) to rest? When he's healthy, he's one of the most elusive in the game. It seems straightforward that a high ankle sprain is going to make it much tougher to switch direction (hence his meh-but-not-terrible 2013).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/16/signature-stats-elusive-rating/

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/06/cj-spiller-ridiculous/

Watch the games and you tell me who breaks more tackles Spiller or Jackson? Who do you want carrying the ball needing to get three yards? I don't know how those elusive ratings are generated but he does not break tackles after contact. Just watch him run. He just is missing something. I don't know what it is. Vision, instinct, trust in the line, or intelligence of how the play is going to develop. Like I said if there is a lane he can go 75 yards.

I hope he proves me wrong, goes for 1600, and the Bills need to franchise him next year. But I could see Chris Johnson doing the same, for the same price, signed to a three year deal, and getting some trade value for Spiller.